Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Progressive christian beliefs
6 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2008 - 4:28PM #1
Eddie13
I have some more qustions.  As i have said in the last thread i am trying to see my beliefs would fall under the heading of progressive christianity.  I figured that the best way to find out is ask what  those who indentify as progressive believe. So i would appreciate if you would answer the following questions with your personal beliefs.     

1. What do you believe in regards to the nature of god?.   
2.    Do you believe that bible is the word of god, divinely inspired, or entirly the product of man?
3.   Do you believe that the bible is literally true, that it is a metaphor sent by god, that it simply myth or something else.
4.   Do you believe that jesus was the son of god? If not what was he?
5.   What do you believe the main goal of Hesus ministry was , that is do you believe his primary mission was as a  saviour , a teacher , a prophet, or something else?
6.    What to you believe about the alleged miracles of jesus ( including the esurrection)?
7.   What do you believe about salvation and the afterlife?
8. What do you believe distinguishes jesus from the founders of other religions and what makes christianity different from other religions?

I am sorry if these questions are to personal but only way for me to know if i am a progressive christian is to know wat you believe
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2008 - 6:23PM #2
AppleMan
Progressive Christians are not big on things we have to believe. I would suggest you look up Marcus Borg's book "The Heart of Christianity". It is a pretty good start for learning about Progressive Christianity, but not all Progressives would agree with him completely.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2008 - 10:15PM #3
bigbear6161
I think there are probably as many different answers to the questions you raise as there are progressive christians.  As said by Apple Man, there are no strict set of "I believes" held by progressives.  What I think you would find is most of us believing the Bible is an important book with significant spiritual and religious and ethical value but that was written by men who recorded their deep spiritual experiences of their encounters in meditation, prayer, trance or just plain living with God.  These writings are authentic when they pass on this contact.  However, the writings are not magically inerrant,or literal, and they are neither science or history,  They are songs about  drawing near to God.  Often poetic , metaphorical, and mythological language is used.  Always, they are heavily conditioned by the culture in which they were composed.  Sometimes, influences that were not always fair and unbiased can be seen, especially interesting are the vestiges of great political and theological disputes that you can find there,  In some ways it is the record of the winners who wrote it or revised it,  Regarding God, His nature is somewhat unknowable except by our direct experience of our selves at our most authentic, when the boundary between our individual selves and God and the world blurs and then disappears.  This experience is highly life sustaining and transformative.  It lasts a minute but changes your life forever.  It's difficult to talk about the experience so you start singing instead.  Obviously, this is heaviky personal experience and the above is mostly my way of singing about it.  Others would undoubtebly sing the song diffferently though no less authentically.  Mozart and Beethoven both composed songs differently but both touch us and shake us to the core!  Jesus is our main spiritual teacher and leader. At one level, when looking at his life one can see the identity with God,  It's not necessarily true that the rest of us are separate from God either, only that Jesus as a focal point for this realization is very powerful.  I hope this helps.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2008 - 3:18PM #4
Eddie13
Thanks for the replies.    From your responses i gather that most progressive christans believe the bible was a collection of myths, that jesus was great teacher like buddha, that jesus was not a saviour as there is no such thing as salvation, that jesus should be honored mainly for his message of peace and love, and that god if he exists, cannot answer prayersand threrfore is not an important part of your sprituality. Is this true ,  If so it is far cry from what i thought progressie christianity, it sounds more like christian atheism. If this is not  what progreesives christainity is do you think that someone who believes that the bible is the word of god and that jesus was a saviour as opposed to just a teacher, but whose beliefs other than that are quite liberal could be considered progressive ?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2008 - 4:25PM #5
AppleMan
Huh? Where did that come from?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2008 - 4:25PM #6
AppleMan
Huh? Where did that come from?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2008 - 9:07PM #7
bigbear6161
Eddie,
Please re-read my earlier post and you can see that it flows out of a deep belief in the reality of God, a great respect for scripture as a vehicle for passing on the experience of God, and a great respect for my spiritual master Jesus of Nazareth, who when I look at his life I see him having identity with God.  Again, it's good to get a variety of progressive christian replies as others will likely emphasize the truths of faith from their experiences and their perspectives.  One of these narratives may connect with you more than my humble attempt.  Lastly, I am reminded of a story I heard about a Buddhist master who was visited by an american.  The american told the master proudly that Buddhism was the only world religion that did not believe in a God or gods.  The master very calmly told the young man that it was clear from that erroneous statement that he knew nothing about Buddhism.  Keep an open mind and draw near to the sacred as you discover it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2008 - 6:04PM #8
Iwantamotto
[QUOTE=Eddie13]Thanks for the replies.    From your responses i gather that most progressive christans believe the bible was a collection of myths, that jesus was great teacher like buddha, that jesus was not a saviour as there is no such thing as salvation, that jesus should be honored mainly for his message of peace and love, and that god if he exists, cannot answer prayersand threrfore is not an important part of your sprituality. Is this true ,  If so it is far cry from what i thought progressie christianity, it sounds more like christian atheism. If this is not  what progreesives christainity is do you think that someone who believes that the bible is the word of god and that jesus was a saviour as opposed to just a teacher, but whose beliefs other than that are quite liberal could be considered progressive ?[/QUOTE]

I don't think the whole bible is a collection of myths.  I also don't equate myths with "false".  Myths are just history with a little more emotion in it and a non-reliance on detail.  There are historical scenarios and places that can be verified ... but calling the description of the Babylonian exile true (for example) does not mean Adam and Eve are.  I don't doubt that Hebrews had some issues with, say, the Egyptians, but that doesn't mean it happened 100% like the bible said it did, either.

I also believe in salvation, just not "Salvation."  In other words, I believe that a person who's led a messed-up life can get their act together and repent ... but I don't see humanity as inherently flawed which requires martyrdom.  I mean (warning:  if you don't like references to facetious fictional characters, don't bother reading), Jack Sparrow said he paid his debt to Jones by dying ... to which his foes replied that he came back so it doesn't count.  Even if I believed in martyrdom, sacrifices, in their context, must remain dead to count.  I believe that Jesus is my Savior in the sense that I believe His message leads me to a greater appreciation of God.

I believe that God answers prayers ... though sometimes the answer can be "no", which some people tend to forget. ;)

Traditional Christianity told me that my God left me and I must be good for His return, like being nice for Santa Claus.  I realized God CAN'T leave me, and any idea that I can leave Him is illusory.
Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2008 - 5:21PM #9
Stardove
:rolleyes: I suppose Mr. Eddie didn't read that the Faith Communities for for like minded members. Don't know how much clearer Beliefnet or I can be as moderator of the Progressive Christians Forum that the faith communites are not for debating Beliefnet's member's beliefs. The Discussions, Dialogue and Debate forums are set up for those not of the same faiths to discuss the faiths they believe or don't believe in.

In closing this topic was moved from the PC Forum. The moderator.
Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2008 - 5:21PM #10
Stardove
:rolleyes: I suppose Mr. Eddie didn't read that the Faith Communities for for like minded members. Don't know how much clearer Beliefnet or I can be as moderator of the Progressive Christians Forum that the faith communites are not for debating Beliefnet's member's beliefs. The Discussions, Dialogue and Debate forums are set up for those not of the same faiths to discuss the faiths they believe or don't believe in.

In closing this topic was moved from the PC Forum. The moderator.
Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook