Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Reactions from others
6 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2008 - 12:00AM #1
Rayzorblade
Hey everyone,
I was just looking over the boards, and a question popped into my mind. I am a pagan, and open about it, i wont hide it away and pretend to be something I'm not. I was just wondering how other people react to you guys. I get met with hate and fear whenever someone finds out. I had a best friend of 5 years tell me I was going to a Christian hell. I have gotten death threats and all the yummy stuff and i am only 16! Just some thoughts.
Yours truly,
Brad
AKA Rayzorblade

Just asking because i come from a highly Christian area and they are all brimstone and hellfire, and was wondering if everyone was the same or there are areas i could go to and practice freely.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2008 - 11:10AM #2
allthegoodnamesweretaken
I don't have the luxury of being open about it. 

all
Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2008 - 9:08PM #3
Sacrificialgoddess
I'm the token pagan in the newsroom I work in. As funny as it is, it seems every newsroom I have ever had a look in has a token pagan.  Rather like the newsroom cat.  :p
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2008 - 10:36PM #4
Rayzorblade
[QUOTE=allthegoodnamesweretaken;592611]I don't have the luxury of being open about it. 

all[/QUOTE]

why cant you? loose a job? family cant know?
Yours truly,
Brad
AKA Rayzorblade
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2008 - 5:02PM #5
tameless_heart
Most of the reactions towards me have been good, I'd say. A few wackies, true. (I've been calling myself pagan since I was 15-16 ish btw, and been fairly open about it too.) Welcome aboard!

I'm TH, resident goth girl. Have a drink at the pub (but you're too young for booze so you have to have cocoa and tea).
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2008 - 10:28PM #6
mainecaptain

Rayzorblade wrote:

Yours truly,
Brad
AKA Rayzorblade

I can only speak for me, but I am self employed and my business would suffer, in more ways then one. So I must keep quiet. No family to worry about, but I might lose a friend or two

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2008 - 10:33PM #7
Sacrificialgoddess

mainecaptain wrote:

I can only speak for me, but I am self employed and my business would suffer, in more ways then one. So I must keep quiet. No family to worry about, but I might lose a friend or two

That is not too terribly different from All's sitch.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2008 - 10:44PM #8
mainecaptain

sacrificialgoddess wrote:

That is not too terribly different from All's sitch.

I thought so but wasn't sure, it can be difficult.

I am lucky that, I am not so trapped that if I am seen with someone known to be Pagan I have to explain, or if I am caught in a metaphysical shop, (no one is going to harm me), I could explain it away by saying I was buying incense,  but if it were widely known I am a practising Witch  it could and likely would cause difficulty. And as I said I would probably loose friends.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2008 - 8:58AM #9
Sacrificialgoddess

mainecaptain wrote:

I thought so but wasn't sure, it can be difficult.

I am lucky that, I am not so trapped that if I am seen with someone known to be Pagan I have to explain, or if I am caught in a metaphysical shop, (no one is going to harm me), I could explain it away by saying I was buying incense,  but if it were widely known I am a practising Witch  it could and likely would cause difficulty. And as I said I would probably loose friends.

Not nice friends.  :(   I am out, so I know who I can trust and who I can't.  Which has its own difficulties.  :(

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2008 - 11:23AM #10
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Rayzorblade wrote:

Yours truly,
Brad
AKA Rayzorblade

Like Cap, self employed (doctor), small town, livelihood would suffer.  Wife, knows and doesn't care, but beyond that nothing within the family.  I just recently restored my relationship with my mother who didn't speak to me for years after I told her I didn't believe in her god and was an atheist, I'm not in a hurry to repeat the process after telling her I now believe in other gods.

If I had a regular job, I'd be able to be more open, but when your livelihood depends on public perception, it doesn't exactly work that way.

all

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook