Post Reply
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
6 years ago  ::  May 12, 2008 - 4:15PM #1
rideronthastorm
Posts: 5,869
I visited the Reorganized Church Of The Latter Day saints, recently the name has chenged to the Community Of Christ.They claim to be a main stream traditional Christian church. I only went to Sunday school.They were teaching on the history of the doctrines and covenents of Joseph Smith the 3rds writings and the communal living of early Mormons and Christians.

The only difference between them and regular church is a couple of Mormon beliefs,the beliefs that we were all spirits before we were born and God gave us a body to make us get closer to him and the other Mormon thing they do is to read and preach on The Book Of Mormon and also the writings of Joseph Smith and the doctrines and covenents of Joseph Smith the third.

What say you, is it a traditional church or not? They ahd regular praise and worship for worship service I know that, i dont believe they have any rituals I dont know about.

Personally i liked the Sunday school class cause I thought it was ineteresting, but I havnt decided if I want to go back. I m not really interested in any other traditional christian church.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 14, 2008 - 5:47PM #2
Bob_Bennett
Posts: 916
It is true that we were  all spirit before the Fall, and we were spirit before each reincarnation.  I don't think that it is God who gives us bodies, as that takes us further away from God rather than closer.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 20, 2008 - 10:10PM #3
spudette
Posts: 959
Rideonthastorm, the Mormon church, or any church branching off them, aren't any traditional Christian church. There is a lot you need to learn about them before you make up your mind. And if you are seeking the One True God, the God that Jesus Christ came to reveal to us, stay away from all belief in reincarmation. That's not what God teaches. I won't speak ill of any church,or of any person's beliefs, but be sure you find out everything you can before you commit yourself. I know for a fact that the high leaders in the Mormon Church do have rituals and practices that the church members don't know about.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2008 - 2:05PM #4
Bob_Bennett
Posts: 916
Hello Spudette,

Most but not all of the references to the teaching of reincarnation were removed in the 4th century when the newly institutionalized church tampered with the N.T.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2009 - 12:29AM #5
bytebear
Posts: 1,451

spudette wrote:

Rideonthastorm, the Mormon church, or any church branching off them, aren't any traditional Christian church. There is a lot you need to learn about them before you make up your mind. And if you are seeking the One True God, the God that Jesus Christ came to reveal to us, stay away from all belief in reincarmation. That's not what God teaches. I won't speak ill of any church,or of any person's beliefs, but be sure you find out everything you can before you commit yourself. I know for a fact that the high leaders in the Mormon Church do have rituals and practices that the church members don't know about.


Neither the LDS nor the RLDS (CoC) believe in reincarnation. They do believe that we existed as spirits with God prior to the creation of the Earth. Numbers 16:22 says God is the God of the spirits of all flesh, and Job 38:7 says that the sons of God shouted for joy at the foundation of the world. Eccl 12:7 says that the spirit of God will return to the god who gave it, strongly implying we did once reside with God as spirits. But Mormon theology says explicitely that there is only one Earthly life and we do no go back to the same spirit world but instead await judgement and resurrection.

As for rituals. CoC does not have temple rites like the LDS church does. In fact their worship is essentially the same as a protestant service. They do have two temples, but they are essentially fancy worship centers, open to the public. LDS do have rituals, but they are no more elaborate than a high and holy mass or other liturgy, although they are not the same, and they are not done publicly. They are easily described mostly in anti-Mormon websites and made to see evil or bizarre, but no more than any ritual found in any other religions, Christian or otherwise. It's just a matter of perspective. And the church makes no effort to shut down such sources, although they have every legal right to do so. They are not like scientology who supresses information, although they are offended that their sacred matters are mocked. (By the way, if these "upper rites" are so secret, how do you know about them so easily, but the Mormons are so in the dark?)

As for the CoC being traditional, they certainly have altered their doctrine to conform to traditional Christianity.  They have accepted the creeds and the traditional definition of the trinity, despite Joseph Smith's specific rejection of both.  They do use the Book of Mormon, which is their biggest distinction, in additon to their version of the Doctrine and Covenants (revelations given to modern prophets).  The LDS church has their own version of the D&C which has some overlap with the CoC version.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2009 - 12:30PM #6
lostWonderer
Posts: 63

Bob_Bennett wrote:

It is true that we were  all spirit before the Fall, and we were spirit before each reincarnation.  I don't think that it is God who gives us bodies, as that takes us further away from God rather than closer.


So then what is your belief of why we are here with bodies in the first place? Do you think their is any benefit to having gained a body or being here in mortality?

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2009 - 12:32PM #7
lostWonderer
Posts: 63

spudette wrote:

Rideonthastorm, the Mormon church, or any church branching off them, aren't any traditional Christian church. There is a lot you need to learn about them before you make up your mind. And if you are seeking the One True God, the God that Jesus Christ came to reveal to us, stay away from all belief in reincarmation. That's not what God teaches. I won't speak ill of any church,or of any person's beliefs, but be sure you find out everything you can before you commit yourself. I know for a fact that the high leaders in the Mormon Church do have rituals and practices that the church members don't know about.


O.K. you got my attention. Please do tell.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2009 - 1:20PM #8
Emmaforestgreen
Posts: 3

May 12, 2008 -- 4:15PM, rideronthastorm wrote:

I visited the Reorganized Church Of The Latter Day saints, recently the name has chenged to the Community Of Christ.They claim to be a main stream traditional Christian church. I only went to Sunday school.They were teaching on the history of the doctrines and covenents of Joseph Smith the 3rds writings and the communal living of early Mormons and Christians. The only difference between them and regular church is a couple of Mormon beliefs,the beliefs that we were all spirits before we were born and God gave us a body to make us get closer to him and the other Mormon thing they do is to read and preach on The Book Of Mormon and also the writings of Joseph Smith and the doctrines and covenents of Joseph Smith the third. What say you, is it a traditional church or not? They ahd regular praise and worship for worship service I know that, i dont believe they have any rituals I dont know about. Personally i liked the Sunday school class cause I thought it was ineteresting, but I havnt decided if I want to go back. I m not really interested in any other traditional christian church.



 


Well I left the LDS church for the Community of Christ. It is toward the mainstream churches in it's way of teaching. the only differences is some members believe in the book of mormon(which they have the 1908& 1966 versions different from the 1830's~it's like updating & correcting puncuation mistakes in the bible with different versions) anyhow I just started attending in the past 2months & in SS we're watching the "book of John"movie & talking about that using the bible & rarly the book of mormon. in Service itself we use both, but I noticed v.s. the LDS church that the community of christ puts the bible first & the bom&doctine&coventants behind that.


the LDS church does the opposite.


So to answer you question, to me yes they are traditional christianity. Some might not think so because of the book of mormon,which to me God can speak to others besides the ones in the bible.


Did you know that Lehi was part of the Jeruselm people that was captive in egypt? he left that land & made it over the seas to what we call today America. It can happen.


Some say "how did he get a boat that size?"  hmmm  how did Noah get a boat & drift across the sea a long time????God provides.


well hope this helps.


 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2010 - 11:46AM #9
Pam34
Posts: 2,660

What does the RLDS/CC think about the Trinity? Because LDS doesn't believe in a Trinity, and also believes that God has a physical body, and is a separate being from Jesus, and other non-normative Christian teachings.

Blessed are You, HaShem, Who blesses the years.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2011 - 11:43PM #10
Sisterintruth
Posts: 37

The Community of  christ is moving away from the book of mormon depending which congregation you go to. however their bible lessons are like a methodist church. i went for a few months before leaving. They believe women can hold the priesthood (equevelent  to women Pastors which isn't biblical) elders/pastors are to be men married to 1 wife.to ead, however we as women can minister to anyone showing them Gods kingdom.


To Pam& other trinitarians....please look at this link on the truth of the trinity. I use to be a southern baptist, but now I am a non-trinitarian & God took the blinders off my eyes & showed me the truth. Please read & reevaluate the thought of the trinity.


www.angelfire.com/journal2/adrianbiblest...


 


no I am not with the Jehovah's Witnesses  nor the  Church of God. I am just a follower of Jesus Christ & baptized into his fahers kingdom.  According to Jesus' own words recorded in Matthew 12:50  he says "For whoever does the will of my father who is in heaven, the same is my brother,sister& mother"  Where is his farther at the time he was on the earth? Heaven.


Jesus is not God, his is our lord& king, but his father is our God. it is worth to take a look at the website. God wanted me to share the truth with others. what you do with it afterwards is up to you.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook