Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
7 years ago  ::  May 17, 2008 - 2:56AM #21
Gandalf_Parker

thelam-entor wrote:

This is true. Religions one and all suffer from incompatibilities with themselves it seems. Some more than others.

I shouldnt have said tap-dance I guess. But I see the same discussion in many forums here. Even when members of a group are discussing their own group they have tend to have trouble defining what the mandatory central beliefs are that define their group.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 17, 2008 - 1:14PM #22
fluffygirl
[QUOTE=ProfessorGoatPellets;503116]But what is the non-literal meaning of OT III?

I thought that Incidents were considered to be actual historical facts - if so then surely it would be correct to take them literally ...

Goat[/QUOTE]

Because it's what's BEHIND the incident that really is the core Scn belief-- Scn and Dn (Dianetics) teaches that it's not the incident that matters, or the content thereof, it's the decisions and considerations one had about the experience or incident.

All some people can see is the content. They don't WANT to think about the very true, very key fact that Scn is about one's postulates (decisions) and considerations. Because if they were to actually do that, then it would make the jokes fall pretty darn flat.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 17, 2008 - 1:53PM #23
Gandalf_Parker

fluffygirl wrote:

Because it's what's BEHIND the incident that really is the core Scn belief-- Scn and Dn (Dianetics) teaches that it's not the incident that matters, or the content thereof, it's the decisions and considerations one had about the experience or incident.

All some people can see is the content. They don't WANT to think about the very true, very key fact that Scn is about one's postulates (decisions) and considerations. Because if they were to actually do that, then it would make the jokes fall pretty darn flat.

Speaking of jokes falling flat.....
I find this shop to be hilarious.
http://www.cafepress.com/booted
I know the person who does the shop and I love some of the things he found. Some of which were meant as insults to scientology. In particular, the shirt that says....
"SCIENTOLOGY:
What living without psychiatry can do to people."
I just think that a shirt like that would make scientologists smile.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 19, 2008 - 3:33PM #24
fluffygirl
Well,  it made me smile, anyway.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 19, 2008 - 10:59PM #25
pr_la_verdad
[QUOTE=fluffygirl;510113]Well,  it made me smile, anyway.[/QUOTE]

the one i thought was funny was the one where you have
a cartoon picture of lRH grabbing someone buy the ankles upside-down
and shaking them to get all the money and change out of the pockets.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 20, 2008 - 8:29PM #26
fluffygirl
Ah. That sounds good. Let me see, what ones have I seen. I used to have one, two men in suits, w/ briefcases, and one is a CofS attorney saying something to a politician or lobbyist saying something along the lines of support us or we'll sue you forever.

I also saw an animated short of someone getting a...ummm...probe...(you know where)... and his glutes deflate- and he goes into some encounter group for alien abductees and the name on the door is "L Ron Flubbard".
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 17, 2008 - 7:25PM #27
Anthony22
Preview 
Bad Experience

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had a very unpleasant experience with Scientology. The short version is:

I was enticed off the street to complete a questionnaire; I thought the results would be posted but instead I found myself being 'sucked' into the system. I was asked to wait until I was ushered into a back office for feedback on the questionnaire, followed by an interview. It was all very businesslike. I then found myself agreeing to pay for an introduction course - it wasn't cheap. I was then asked to sit through a promotional film; the small cinema was very plush, the film was state-of-the-art and the sound acoustics were out of this world. Instead of this impressing me, as it was intended, I felt myself feeling very defensive as I sensed I was being influenced and manipulated beyond my comfort by the PR process.

I attended the introduction evening that consisted of doing paper tests and a one-to-one chat on my results. Much to my surprise I proved the facilitator wrong on an important detail - I had read a book and I remember detail.

I was made aware of the options of taking different courses that led to the higher levels. These were not free or cheap but expensive, the freebies were the carrots of enticement for the money courses. I asked someone about those who couldn't afford to pay the cost of working through the different levels and was informed that one could take out a loan as the courses were worth it for what they gave back.

I decided the whole thing was a money making sham, although the content was very interesting if not fascinating and alluring, and this scared me even more because I realised how it may influence the vulnerable. I was not impressed! I didn't contact them again. However, I then found myself bombarded with telephone calls from 'sale-persons' asking how I was and what I was going to do next. I told them to stop ringing me, that I wasn't interested. Rather than leave me alone I was sent regular junk mail and advertisements for courses, etc. There were more telephone calls from different people in various offices who didn't seem to be aware of each other or  that I had demanded they leave me alone. I felt like I was being stalked. I would return the mail and it would be sent back again, until I started removing all of the personal information.  This went on for quite some time and I felt very intimidated and threatened. I feel very concerned for vulnerable people who are attracted to this organisation. I even feel concerned that I have written and posted this post - if one has seen the TV documentaries one may realise why I feel like this.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 18, 2008 - 1:29PM #28
fluffygirl
CofS is a sales driven organization. Everyone in the organization is given one or more "stats" to obtain and staff are pressured greatly to get them.

The personality tests are a way to get eople in the door. Period. So the person always gets a sales pitch. And, as I said, with the incredible pressure staff are under, this results in the person being recontacted many times. Plus, you get the evangelism aspect thrown in-true believers, very sure that they have the only way people can progress spiritually, and that's a recipe for frequent follow ups. It's often very hard to get off a CofS mailing or phone list. People who ask to be taken off are considered, if not sociopaths, then, the next worst thing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 16, 2008 - 10:30PM #29
ProfessorGoatPellets
[QUOTE=fluffygirl;505795]Because it's what's BEHIND the incident that really is the core Scn belief-- Scn and Dn (Dianetics) teaches that it's not the incident that matters, or the content thereof, it's the decisions and considerations one had about the experience or incident.

All some people can see is the content. They don't WANT to think about the very true, very key fact that Scn is about one's postulates (decisions) and considerations. Because if they were to actually do that, then it would make the jokes fall pretty darn flat.[/QUOTE]

I don't agree.

An actual historical event is an actual historical event.  The decisions and considerations related to the event may be the aspects that are used in Scientology processing but still it remains an actual historical event.

Thanks,

Goat
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook