Page 8 of 8  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
6 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2009 - 5:43PM #71
fluffygirl
I think people are aware of the problems with some sects and that some of them don't know how to criticize adequately, without throwing the baby out with the bathwater and without having kneejerk emotional responses and scapegoating people. These are negatives but even there the underlying desire is to try to address problems that they've perceived.

Even mainstream churches can have problems and abuses. Sometimes it's widespread and common, sometimes not.

To me, it all comes down to being an effective critic rather than a critic whose heart may be in the right place but who is mainly stomping around muddying the water with anger and bigotry. I think it's easier said than done.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2009 - 12:11AM #72
Jupiter6208
Wow That's pretty sad.
"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

What the heart loves, the will chooses, and the mind justifies.”

― Thomas Cranmer
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 18, 2009 - 4:45PM #73
Christ07
[QUOTE=fluffygirl;1019214]I think people are aware of the problems with some sects and that some of them don't know how to criticize adequately, without throwing the baby out with the bathwater and without having kneejerk emotional responses and scapegoating people. These are negatives but even there the underlying desire is to try to address problems that they've perceived.

Even mainstream churches can have problems and abuses. Sometimes it's widespread and common, sometimes not.

To me, it all comes down to being an effective critic rather than a critic whose heart may be in the right place but who is mainly stomping around muddying the water with anger and bigotry. I think it's easier said than done.[/QUOTE]

Well if your heart is in the right place, why would anyone be stomping around muddying the waters in anger? :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 18, 2009 - 4:45PM #74
Christ07
[QUOTE=fluffygirl;1019214]I think people are aware of the problems with some sects and that some of them don't know how to criticize adequately, without throwing the baby out with the bathwater and without having kneejerk emotional responses and scapegoating people. These are negatives but even there the underlying desire is to try to address problems that they've perceived.

To me, it all comes down to being an effective critic rather than a critic whose heart may be in the right place but who is mainly stomping around muddying the water with anger and bigotry. I think it's easier said than done.[/QUOTE]

Well if your heart is in the right place, why would anyone be stomping around muddying the waters in anger? :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2009 - 9:40PM #75
fluffygirl

Christ07 wrote:

Because people are imperfect. They may have good intentions, they may care, but sometimes they can have a worthy goal in mind but go about it all wrong, or in an irrational manner.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 28, 2009 - 10:18PM #76
fluffygirl

jupiter6208 wrote:

Wow That's pretty sad.

I would guess that most critics are doing the best they can. They can only do what they can do and their opinions are formed by their experiences, same as with anyone else in life.

What's sad is the suffering that a lot of CofS members experience. It's very hard to be objective or balanced in one's criticism after experiencing things like that.

Religion, like politics, is an extremely emotional issue at the best of times and speaking as a former CofS member and as a former staff member there, I can tell you that it's just never the best of times in that venue.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 8 of 8  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook