Post Reply
Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Who do JW's really follow?
7 months ago  ::  Apr 17, 2014 - 4:03AM #1
Newtonian
Posts: 12,196

Jehovah's  Witnesses follow Jesus Christ.


See our book "Come be My Follower" -


wol.jw.org/en/wol/lv/r1/lp-e/0/20102


I invite you all to read this encouraging Bible Study Aid - whose purpose is summarized in this prologue:


wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102007040



"Prologue




Dear Reader:




“Come be my follower.” (Mark 10:21) With those words, Jesus Christ, in effect, beckons us to follow him. Are you responding to his call? Doing so will have a profound influence on your life. Why?




Jehovah sent his only-begotten Son to the earth to give his life as a ransom. (John 3:16) In addition to dying for us, that Son showed us how to live. With each step he took, he kept his integrity and brought joy to his Father’s heart. Jesus also showed us how to be like his Father. The ways and the will of the Father found perfect expression in the words and deeds of the Son.—John 14:9.




Jesus is “a model,” the Bible says, “for [us] to follow his steps closely.” (1 Peter 2:21) If we want to draw closer to Jehovah, if we want to have a truly meaningful life now, and if we want to remain on the road to everlasting life, we must follow closely in the footsteps of Christ.




To begin this journey, we need to become familiar with Jesus’ life on earth. So the portrait of Jesus preserved in the Bible merits our careful study. Reflecting on the things Jesus said and did and considering how we can imitate him in word and deed will help us to see more clearly how to follow him.




May this publication help you to grow in your love for Jesus and for Jehovah. And may that love move you to follow closely in Jesus’ footsteps so that you may bring joy to Jehovah’s heart now and forever.




The Publishers"




Quick Reply
Cancel
7 months ago  ::  Apr 17, 2014 - 6:24AM #2
five_point_dad
Posts: 3,612

Apr 17, 2014 -- 4:03AM, Newtonian wrote:

Jehovah's  Witnesses follow Jesus Christ.


See our book "Come be My Follower" -


wol.jw.org/en/wol/lv/r1/lp-e/0/20102


I invite you all to read this encouraging Bible Study Aid - whose purpose is summarized in this prologue:


wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102007040



"Prologue




Dear Reader:




“Come be my follower.” (Mark 10:21) With those words, Jesus Christ, in effect, beckons us to follow him. Are you responding to his call? Doing so will have a profound influence on your life. Why?




Jehovah sent his only-begotten Son to the earth to give his life as a ransom. (John 3:16) In addition to dying for us, that Son showed us how to live. With each step he took, he kept his integrity and brought joy to his Father’s heart. Jesus also showed us how to be like his Father. The ways and the will of the Father found perfect expression in the words and deeds of the Son.—John 14:9.




Jesus is “a model,” the Bible says, “for [us] to follow his steps closely.” (1 Peter 2:21) If we want to draw closer to Jehovah, if we want to have a truly meaningful life now, and if we want to remain on the road to everlasting life, we must follow closely in the footsteps of Christ.




To begin this journey, we need to become familiar with Jesus’ life on earth. So the portrait of Jesus preserved in the Bible merits our careful study. Reflecting on the things Jesus said and did and considering how we can imitate him in word and deed will help us to see more clearly how to follow him.




May this publication help you to grow in your love for Jesus and for Jehovah. And may that love move you to follow closely in Jesus’ footsteps so that you may bring joy to Jehovah’s heart now and forever.




The Publishers"





1) The Governing Body decreed in 1903 that Christ would be present on the earth in 1914 and setting up his kingdom, all Jehovah's Witnesses followed the Governing Body, preached it, and it was false. 


2) The Governing Body decreed in 1918 that David would be resurrected in 1925 and live in San Diego, all Jehovah's Witnesses followed the Governing Body, preached it, and it was false.  


3)  The Governing Body decreed in 1918 that vaccinations were a violation of God's law, all Jehovah's Witnesses followed the Governing Body, preached it, and it was false.  


4) The Governing Body decreed in 1960 that organ transplants were contrary to the Bible and several people died as a result, all Jehovah's Witnesses followed the Governing Body, preached it, and it was false.  


5) The Governing Body decreed in 1938 that no one should marry, have children, attend college or have a career because the end of the world was so close, all Jehovah's Witnesses followed the Governing Body, preached it, and it was false.  


6)  The Governing Body decreed in 1989 that the end of the world would come before the end of the twentieth century, all Jehovah's Witnesses followed the Governing Body, preached it, and it was false.  


So, do Jehovah's Witnesses follow the inerrant Word of God or do they follow the false teachings of a group of fallible human men? 


Quick Reply
Cancel
7 months ago  ::  Apr 17, 2014 - 3:21PM #3
marken
Posts: 3,710

If  a  person  who  claims  to  be  a  footstep follower  of  Jesus  makes  an  erroneous  claim,  they  must  be  willing  to  change  their  mind,  as  is  demonstrated  by  Jehovah's  Witnesses.   Those  who  follow  Satan's  ways  cling  to  their  leader's  teachings,  which  are much  more  than  claims,  no  matter  what  proof  is  put  before  them.


with  affection  from  Marken

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 months ago  ::  Apr 17, 2014 - 4:41PM #4
AnnOMaly
Posts: 3,240

That's weird. Newt's post is the first on this thread but looking at the list of threads, I get this:




O_o

Sp-sp-spooooky!

I'm not the only one seeing this ... am I? 
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 months ago  ::  Apr 17, 2014 - 5:23PM #5
Oeste
Posts: 3,405

Apr 17, 2014 -- 4:41PM, AnnOMaly wrote:


That's weird. Newt's post is the first on this thread but looking at the list of threads, I get this:




O_o

Sp-sp-spooooky!

I'm not the only one seeing this ... am I? 




No, I see the same.

Never argue with stupid people. They will drag
you down to their level and then beat you with
experience ~ Mark Twain

If you are neutral on situations of injustice
you have chosen the side of the oppressor ~
Desmond Tutu
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 months ago  ::  Apr 17, 2014 - 6:29PM #6
Aroq
Posts: 104

Apr 17, 2014 -- 3:21PM, marken wrote:


If  a  person  who  claims  to  be  a  footstep follower  of  Jesus  makes  an  erroneous  claim,  they  must  be  willing  to  change  their  mind...




This is correct for the average person, but when the one making the claims also claim to be a "modern day prophet" then you have problems.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 months ago  ::  Apr 17, 2014 - 8:42PM #7
five_point_dad
Posts: 3,612

MARKEN:  If  a  person  who  claims  to  be  a  footstep follower  of  Jesus  makes  an  erroneous  claim,  they  must  be  willing  to  change  their  mind,  as  is  demonstrated  by  Jehovah's  Witnesses.   Those  who  follow  Satan's  ways  cling  to  their  leader's  teachings,  which  are much  more  than  claims,  no  matter  what  proof  is  put  before  them.


FPD:  Most of the failed claims in Post #3 were exposed by the calendar.  Your organization claimed a date that would result in a cataclysmic event and when that date arrived and nothing happened, it was exposed as a fraud, and up until that date arrived, every single one of Jehovah's Witnesses were required to teach it and it was unbiblical.  These teachings were exposed not because of any Bible study on your part, but because the date you proposed arrived and you were embarrassed.  So, "you" didn't correct it!  Of course at that time you "changed your mind"; what else could you do?  Which calls into question everything you teach.  There is no guarantee that anything you teach today won't be recalled, corrected, changed, or amended tomorrow.  How do you square that with an immutable God (Mal. 3:6; Hb. 13:8)?  How can anyone have faith in anything you teach with such a long and littered record of goofs?  When it comes to the present teaching of the Watchtower, there is not a shred of evidence that the word "Jehovah" ever appeared in the original NT Greek Scripture--a claim you still maintain to the present day.  We're not talking about a "little" evidence, there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever--none!  So, here is an obvious false teaching that you still haven't corrected.  How many more of these false and uncorrected teachings still haunt Watchtower literature?  

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 months ago  ::  Apr 18, 2014 - 1:34AM #8
Newtonian
Posts: 12,196

Apr 17, 2014 -- 4:41PM, AnnOMaly wrote:


That's weird. Newt's post is the first on this thread but looking at the list of threads, I get this:




O_o

Sp-sp-spooooky!

I'm not the only one seeing this ... am I? 



Yes, it is weird.  I did not start this thread.Surprised

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 months ago  ::  Apr 18, 2014 - 1:42AM #9
Newtonian
Posts: 12,196

Apr 17, 2014 -- 6:29PM, Aroq wrote:


Apr 17, 2014 -- 3:21PM, marken wrote:


If  a  person  who  claims  to  be  a  footstep follower  of  Jesus  makes  an  erroneous  claim,  they  must  be  willing  to  change  their  mind...




This is correct for the average person, but when the one making the claims also claim to be a "modern day prophet" then you have problems.




Aroq - We do not claim to be prophets in the sense of foretelling the future.   The Bible also uses other definitions of prophet.   See our video: "Out of Darkness" on our website - I will bump my video thread.   We have come a long way!   So has science, and for the same reason:


Good research and the humility to reject formerly cherished beliefs in the light of that research.  Of course, in science that is primarily scientific research, while in our religion that is primarily Biblical research.   Romans 1:20, however, bridges that gap, since applying Romans 1:20 requires studying all fields of scientific research - i.e. the study of the things made.


Bottom line - Jehovah's Witnesses are indeed footstep followers of Jesus Christ.   One major teaching of Jesus which most of Christendom fails to follow was noted by Gandhi in Jesus' sermon of the mount, namely: Matthew 5:44 that we should love our enemies - hence Gandhi's non-violent stand (Cp. Hindu: Ahimsa; cp. Jainism) - and also Jehovah's Witnesses non-violent stand (e.g. we do not go to war).

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 months ago  ::  Apr 21, 2014 - 12:37PM #10
Aroq
Posts: 104

Apr 18, 2014 -- 1:42AM, Newtonian wrote:


Apr 17, 2014 -- 6:29PM, Aroq wrote:


Apr 17, 2014 -- 3:21PM, marken wrote:


If  a  person  who  claims  to  be  a  footstep follower  of  Jesus  makes  an  erroneous  claim,  they  must  be  willing  to  change  their  mind...




This is correct for the average person, but when the one making the claims also claim to be a "modern day prophet" then you have problems.




Aroq - We do not claim to be prophets in the sense of foretelling the future.   The Bible also uses other definitions of prophet.   See our video: "Out of Darkness" on our website - I will bump my video thread.   We have come a long way!   So has science, and for the same reason:


Good research and the humility to reject formerly cherished beliefs in the light of that research.  Of course, in science that is primarily scientific research, while in our religion that is primarily Biblical research.   Romans 1:20, however, bridges that gap, since applying Romans 1:20 requires studying all fields of scientific research - i.e. the study of the things made.


Bottom line - Jehovah's Witnesses are indeed footstep followers of Jesus Christ.   One major teaching of Jesus which most of Christendom fails to follow was noted by Gandhi in Jesus' sermon of the mount, namely: Matthew 5:44 that we should love our enemies - hence Gandhi's non-violent stand (Cp. Hindu: Ahimsa; cp. Jainism) - and also Jehovah's Witnesses non-violent stand (e.g. we do not go to war).




"So, does Jehovah have a prophet to help them, to warn them of dangers and to declare things to come?  These questions can be answered in the affirmative. Who is this prophet? ... This "prophet" was not one man, but was a body of men and women. It was the small group of footstep followers of Jesus Christ, known at that time as International Bible Students. Today they are known as Jehovah's Christian witnesses. ... Of course, it is easy to say that this group acts as a "prophet" of God. It is another thing to prove it. The only way that this can be done is to review the record. Thus this group of anointed followers of Jesus Christ, doing a work in Christendom paralleling Ezekiel's work among the Jews, were manifestly the modern-day Ezekiel, the "prophet" commissioned by Jehovah to declare the good news of God's Messianic kingdom and to give warning to Christendom." Watchtower 1972 Apr 1 pp.197-199 'They Shall Know that a Prophet Was Among Them'


Have you not read your own litterature?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook