Switch to Forum Live View The Systematic Destruction of African Religion
7 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2008 - 12:29PM #1
Truth27
Hi,

I mentioned on another thread that it is time for Africans to really develop the philosophical aspects of their belief systems.  However, I can see that, while this might have happened naturally had colonialism hadn't forced them to artificially conform to Western norms, this is now an arrested aim.  The reason for this is because most spiritual energy is now being directed towards adopting more "modern" philosophies such as Christianity and Islam.  Traditional African religions are thus being devalued and abandoned at an alarming rate (although admittedly the traditional practices often continue even after conversion).  This is a bit disturbing.  Although I understand the African desire to be "modern" and to "catch up" with more "developed" civilizations, on the other hand, there is likely a lot of wisdom in African systems that is soon to be forgotten with time.  An unfortunate turn of events that might have been emeliorated had naturally formed African municipalities been able to self-determine and interact with the outside world on their own terms and at their own pace.  We'll never know now what could have been.

Peace.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook