Switch to Forum Live View Russian crackdown on Protestants?
6 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2008 - 8:09PM #1
Aorto
I just stumbled across this article in the NY Times.

Crackdown on Protestants?

The reason I ask is that for the past two years, I have begun immersing myself more and more in Eastern Orthodox literature.  I am currently reading, and rereading, several works by Vladimir Lossky and (though not necessarily Eastern Orthodox) The Roots of Christian Mysticism by Oliver Clement.

It has altered my views quite a bit, revealing the shallowness of much of today's neo-Protestantism.

The article, if true, is disturbing in that it reinforces a stereotype, true or not, that many hold of the Orthodox Church as an instrument of the State.

I just wondered if anyone had any insight. 

Is this truth? Hype?  Propaganda?  Some whiny pastors with clout in the US media?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2008 - 11:34AM #2
Huson
Perhaps a good place to start in understanding this article is to know how the Russian Constitution defines freedom of religion.

Does it mean that anyone who wants to can call himself a Christian, bring in any version of the Bible they want, and begin to preach their personal opinion as the faith once and for all delivered to the saints? 

Does it mean that any group (Baptists, Methodists, Lutherans, Pentacostals, Presbyterians, etc) can all land in Russia and present their particular corporate understandings of the Bible as truth?

Does it mean that an individual is free to believe whatever they want, but they are not free to present those personal opinions as a truth applicable to all?

Can anyone tell us how the Russian Constitution defines freedom of religion?

Huson
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook