Page 1 of 12  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Everything is a reaction
6 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2008 - 1:18PM #1
TigersEyeDowsing
There are all these "reaction" threads going on in here...

I'd like to venture out there and say everything is a reaction.  Every action has an opposite but equal reaction.  To tie this in with discuss paganism, how do you pagan guys and girls feel about life in general and the decisions that are made?  Do you think that everything is aforeplanned, by the gods, or that actions/reactions are random and undetermined?  How about karma?

I believe in all the different levels of karma.  If I hit my finger with a hammer, that is the action. The pain is the reaction.  I believe that if I behave badly, which is the action, I will get a reaction out of my guilt or the action coming back to bite me in the ass in some way.  If I behave in a good way, the reaction will be emotions or physical manifestations of goodness in return.  Eventually.  So, essentially, I think everything we experience in the here and now is a reaction of some action we have created at some point in our life (or a past one), and a worthy goal is to create better reactions through our actions.  What say you?
Churchianity, by substituting creed for Christ and dogma instead of the divine facts of being, has stripped Love of her royal robes and has left her standing an unheeded beggar in the universe of God. - Rev. W. John Murray
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2008 - 1:24PM #2
tameless_heart

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:

I'd like to venture out there and say everything is a reaction. Every action has an opposite but equal reaction. To tie this in with discuss paganism, how do you pagan guys and girls feel about life in general and the decisions that are made? Do you think that everything is aforeplanned, by the gods, or that actions/reactions are random and undetermined? How about karma?

I believe in all the different levels of karma. If I hit my finger with a hammer, that is the action. The pain is the reaction. I believe that if I behave badly, which is the action, I will get a reaction out of my guilt or the action coming back to bite me in the ass in some way. If I behave in a good way, the reaction will be emotions or physical manifestations of goodness in return. Eventually. So, essentially, I think everything we experience in the here and now is a reaction of some action we have created at some point in our life (or a past one), and a worthy goal is to create better reactions through our actions. What say you?

Well I believe in a jumble of things- i believe some things are preplanned (by the gods) and some things are "random", and that others are the results of our choices and that most things are reactions. I can't say everything is (I'm watching my blanket statements) because there are always exceptions to that, if you believe the gods can plan things before hand. I recognize tht every decision I make impacts the world somehow, and that certain things are likely to come about based on my choice. When I go to make a decision I have to consider all the possibilities and be prepared for the reaction to my choice.

I believe in karma and always have, but I'm still having issues with the past life thing, so whether or not my actions in my past life (if I had one) are affecting me now in this one, I don't know.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2008 - 1:29PM #3
allthegoodnamesweretaken

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:

I'd like to venture out there and say everything is a reaction.  Every action has an opposite but equal reaction.  To tie this in with discuss paganism, how do you pagan guys and girls feel about life in general and the decisions that are made?  Do you think that everything is aforeplanned, by the gods, or that actions/reactions are random and undetermined?  How about karma?

I believe in all the different levels of karma.  If I hit my finger with a hammer, that is the action. The pain is the reaction.  I believe that if I behave badly, which is the action, I will get a reaction out of my guilt or the action coming back to bite me in the ass in some way.  If I behave in a good way, the reaction will be emotions or physical manifestations of goodness in return.  Eventually.  So, essentially, I think everything we experience in the here and now is a reaction of some action we have created at some point in our life (or a past one), and a worthy goal is to create better reactions through our actions.  What say you?

I agree 100%

all

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2008 - 2:28PM #4
Creedofcrusades
[QUOTE=TigersEyeDowsing;402728]There are all these "reaction" threads going on in here...

I believe in all the different levels of karma.  If I hit my finger with a hammer, that is the action. The pain is the reaction.  I believe that if I behave badly, which is the action, I will get a reaction out of my guilt or the action coming back to bite me in the ass in some way.  If I behave in a good way, the reaction will be emotions or physical manifestations of goodness in return.  Eventually.  So, essentially, I think everything we experience in the here and now is a reaction of some action we have created at some point in our life (or a past one), and a worthy goal is to create better reactions through our actions.  What say you?[/QUOTE]

The point of the original thread is that neopaganism is a reaction against some percieved hurt or fear in most cases. The rest I believe were placed as sarcasm. Anyhow I still stand by the claim. Some religions you enter because you believe. Others you default to because you no longer believe or no longer want to believe. Neo paganism is the latter.  Go back through these threads and find the reasons given (as i will when i get time). Belief isnt way up there I promise. I got long posts on cruel fathers and hardhearted pastors and close minded Sunday School teachers. I dont think I got many, if any, which listed belief as a reason.
   Not all religions count on reactions and "anti" beliefs..
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2008 - 2:56PM #5
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Creedofcrusades wrote:

The point of the original thread is that neopaganism is a reaction against some percieved hurt or fear in most cases. The rest I believe were placed as sarcasm. Anyhow I still stand by the claim. Some religions you enter because you believe. Others you default to because you no longer believe or no longer want to believe. Neo paganism is the latter.  Go back through these threads and find the reasons given (as i will when i get time). Belief isnt way up there I promise. I got long posts on cruel fathers and hardhearted pastors and close minded Sunday School teachers. I dont think I got many, if any, which listed belief as a reason.

I maintain the premise that pagan religions are a reaction, but a reaction to the spiritual needs of people not being met by Christianity.  There may be many excuses, and many different rationalizations by people as to why others leave Christianity, but if their needs were being met, they wouldn't have left. 

all

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2008 - 3:45PM #6
weirdfaery

Creedofcrusades wrote:

The point of the original thread is that neopaganism is a reaction against some percieved hurt or fear in most cases. The rest I believe were placed as sarcasm. Anyhow I still stand by the claim. Some religions you enter because you believe. Others you default to because you no longer believe or no longer want to believe. Neo paganism is the latter. Go back through these threads and find the reasons given (as i will when i get time). Belief isnt way up there I promise. I got long posts on cruel fathers and hardhearted pastors and close minded Sunday School teachers. I dont think I got many, if any, which listed belief as a reason.

The point is no matter what lead us to our faith, it is OUR faith and we don't have to justify it ro you are anyone else. Whether or not you agree with our faith doesn't change it anymore than my opinion of your faith doesn't change yours.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2008 - 3:52PM #7
weirdfaery

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:

I'd like to venture out there and say everything is a reaction. Every action has an opposite but equal reaction. To tie this in with discuss paganism, how do you pagan guys and girls feel about life in general and the decisions that are made? Do you think that everything is aforeplanned, by the gods, or that actions/reactions are random and undetermined? How about karma?

I believe in all the different levels of karma. If I hit my finger with a hammer, that is the action. The pain is the reaction. I believe that if I behave badly, which is the action, I will get a reaction out of my guilt or the action coming back to bite me in the ass in some way. If I behave in a good way, the reaction will be emotions or physical manifestations of goodness in return. Eventually. So, essentially, I think everything we experience in the here and now is a reaction of some action we have created at some point in our life (or a past one), and a worthy goal is to create better reactions through our actions. What say you?

I'm not sure how I feel about Karma anymore. I used to believe that the energy a soul generated followed it throughout its lives but now I'm not sure.

Using my own life as an example has proven to me that sometimes bad stuff happens and we're just caught in the middle. However, I know just from simple science that every action has a reaction and the energy that we put out comes back at us in some form or another.

Okay, that sounded less random in my head.:)

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2008 - 5:06PM #8
allthegoodnamesweretaken

weirdfaery wrote:

The point is no matter what lead us to our faith, it is OUR faith and we don't have to justify it ro you are anyone else. Whether or not you agree with our faith doesn't change it anymore than my opinion of your faith doesn't change yours.

Very good point.

all

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2008 - 5:53PM #9
Gandalf_Parker
Im in for karma, and signs, and spirits.

I think I switched because I really wanted to believe in God but the other religions were making it hard. Ive gotten much more religious since I switched to neo-pagan.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2008 - 8:13PM #10
mainecaptain
I like to tell people I believe in everything. Well of course that is not entirely true. I believe we pay for our mistakes one way or another. I am not sure I believe karma follows us into the next life or not.

I know I believe myself (1) because I honestly do not want to ever hurt anyone or anything and (2) because I will pay for my bad behaviour. I have seen it I have evidence of it. I am corrected for being not good or not nice or causing harm in some way.

I am fortunate in that I have been pretty well behaved, but have been corrected the times I slid out of being as good a person as I should be.

So I do believe that happens. My being Pagan and being a Witch was a a reaction to my Spiritual awaking, not exposure to any other religion. Not even xtianity. I mentioned this on another thread today that my Mother was Catholic, did study magik and was a loving open minded person.

I myself was never really xtian. And when I started really pursuing a Spiritual Path mine found me.
It has grown and been added to over the years as all true learning paths change over time.
We all grow hopefully.

But I do believe we all have an effect on the world around us through energy sent out. And believe we should be careful. I am careful what I say especially out loud, And what I concentrate on.

Forgive me for being long winded::o
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 12  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook