Switch to Forum Live View Treatment of Animals
7 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2008 - 9:51AM #1
Truth27
Hi,

As I understand it, many African religions (even in the States) employ animal sacrifice as part of their rituals.  This may be problemmatic depending upon:

a) Where/how the animal was raised
b) How the animal is killed

However, come to think of it, such animals may be better off if they were raised free relative to animals raised on comersial farms.  THis would also be the case if they are killed in a humane fashion.  After all, what's the difference?  Animals are killed for food in this society.  In African ceremonies that utilize sacrifice, as I understand it, the meat is consumed afterwards.  Si is this practice really a problem to anyone assuming that the sacrifice is done humanely?

Peace.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2008 - 11:19AM #2
wontgetfooledagain

Truth27 wrote:

Hi,

As I understand it, many African religions (even in the States) employ animal sacrifice as part of their rituals. This may be problemmatic depending upon:

a) Where/how the animal was raised
b) How the animal is killed

However, come to think of it, such animals may be better off if they were raised free relative to animals raised on comersial farms. THis would also be the case if they are killed in a humane fashion. After all, what's the difference? Animals are killed for food in this society. In African ceremonies that utilize sacrifice, as I understand it, the meat is consumed afterwards. Si is this practice really a problem to anyone assuming that the sacrifice is done humanely?

Peace.

Well... I kind of felt that I needed to respond to one of your posts.  You seem to be the only person on this board... and it must get lonely at times. :(

If this is done in a humane way... and the animal is consumed, I certainly don't see anything wrong with it.  I suppose vegetarians would have a problem with this... but if somebody is a meat eater and consumes meat that comes from commercial sources... it would be hypocritical of them to consider it to be inhumane treatment of animals.

Rob

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2008 - 8:00AM #3
Truth27
Hi,

Thanks for the response.  Yeah, I think that we are in agreement.  Its just that I'm not sure if my details are completely accurate (about them eating the meat afterwards and killing the animals humanely.)  I'll check into it though.

Peace.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2010 - 12:17PM #4
Bairre

Animal sacrifice is practiced among some modern day Christian groups.  Greek Orthodox sacrifice a lamb for Easter.

I see nothing wrong with it.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook