Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Download It And Weep
7 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2008 - 7:38PM #1
MrBear
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/counterpoint/s … 195775.htm

‘The downside of the internet.’

Download LISTEN and weep

‘Against the Machine: Being Human in the Age of the Electronic’ Mob’ by Lee Siegel
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/books/revi … ee-siegel/

Siegel covers EVERY ASPECT of the  abhorrent Internet behaviours that I have been writing and complaining about for the past ten years.

The hiding behind pseudonym as a shield device for slander and lie.
The promulgation of ‘anything goes’ fabrication, fraud and invention
The clinical narcissism of “It’s my pov it must be valid…I can say what I like”
The pretence that these behaviours have something to do with ‘Democracy, Freedom of Speech or Divine Right to self expression’.
The employment of false and unsubstantiated allegation, innuendo slander and vilification as tools of intimidation.
The absence of reading/listening while you ‘project’  your own inner dialogue onto others.
The ‘empowerment’ of withholding, not answering pertinent questions.
The foul and abhorrent online behaviours that in the world would evoke immediate sanction but online evoke mob mentality silence or joining in.

I drove home yesterday listening to the interview with Siegel thinking- “S&%$!....He gets to write a book about it…all I got to do was identify these behaviours within the Online Baha’i community and get called an “Enemy of the Faith” for doing so”!

Do yourselves a favour….go give the interview a good long listen….>twice over<.
because >every single< abhorrent behaviour Siegel identifies has had a Thread dedicated to it when it manifested on Beliefnet Baha’i boards…..and the response was more of the same behaviour.

And don’t kid yourselves…being a Baha’i did not curb or inhibit these widespread Net behaviours….the mob mentality and misplaced desire to Defend the Faith amplified and exaggerated the behaviours.
There are THOUSANDS of examples of such behaviours being identified-questioned and challenged only to have the immediate slander flung back that the Faith itself is somehow under attack.

Now it’s your turn again….deploy your ‘projections’ of  “finger breaking” violence and “hate”, sally forth your assumptions of “vengeance” and “force”, roll out your innuendo, your misrepresentation and your slander of  “opposition to the Faith”.
Tell me again how these slanders had “triggers” or “provocations” but never identify them…..or simply stand there going “Ah huh?...so?...and?” when objections are raised.

Go listen to ‘‘The downside of the internet.’ And see online Baha’i behaviour over the past ten years  >PERFECTLY< depicted….then come back and tell me how you only “care what the Divine Says---every instant”
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2008 - 7:50PM #2
maidenhair_leaf
Rod

what you fail to understand about me personally, is that i don't give a hoot about what anyone thinks or says about me...if any wants to call me an enemy of the faith, or a whore...or whatever their minds can imagine or fabricate...it's irrelevent dribble....if i remain a member of the faith, in whatever "standing" or not is no ones business but mine...i don't have to like or associate with anyone just because they call themseves Baha'i. 

that it matters to you, is your issue and for you to deal with, and you can deal with it by presenting the other side of the coin....that's what you and jim have done and are doing....but it's still the same coin...heads or tails...everyone looses..and each individual person takes sides and builds their defences with whatever dust they can manufacture into fortified stone walls. it's all madness...and you refuse to see it.

and here i thought He wanted them all, because He made them all.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2008 - 8:17PM #3
firestorminitiative
He does.
that doesn;t necessarilly mean they want Him.
they can be easily saitsfied with the one they manufacture in His place...be it the oreos or the flame wars.
   rod has presented a clear case for the fact that humansd are at present humans.
  ok.
next?
over some time there has been a discussion of "due process" without ever once deciding what was "due" outside of a context built by some vague history of rhetoric called western civ.
   becuase this is still in the air, the process is chaos.
the net, self-regulating, self controlling, will determine the outcome.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2008 - 8:25PM #4
maidenhair_leaf

firestorminitiative wrote:

He does.
that doesn;t necessarilly mean they want Him.
they can be easily saitsfied with the one they manufacture in His place...be it the oreos or the flame wars.

you have a point !!

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2008 - 8:26PM #5
MrBear
Leaf-
“what you fail to understand about me personally, is that i don't give a hoot about what anyone thinks or says about me….”

A proposition that was just demonstrated to be a complete fallacy with a link to the thread in which you showed just how much you >do< “give a hoot about” what people say and the level of verbal vengeance you will resort to under those circumstances.

Bear-
Now it’s your turn again….deploy your ‘projections’ of “finger breaking” violence and “hate”, sally forth your assumptions of “vengeance” and “force”, roll out your innuendo, your misrepresentation and your slander of “opposition to the Faith”.

And so you go right ahead and do so-

Leaf-
“that's what you and jim have done and are doing....but it's still the same coin...heads or tails...there are still loosers..and each side builds their defences with whatever dust they can manufacture into fortified stone walls.”

Innuendo that Jim&I are on the other side and opposed to the Baha’i Faith.

Leaf-
“it's all madness...and you refuse to see it.”

I have asked you OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO GIVE ME >ONE< EXAMPLE OF MY BEING “AGAINST THE BAHA’I WORLD” AND YOU REFUSE TO PUT >ANYTHING< FORWARD.

How can I “refuse to see it” when you ‘refuse’ to provide any example?

(Oh....It's ok....I understand that being "chosen" and so close to God there is no need for you to respond to the questions of those who are so clearly against His Cause)

And by the way......thanks ever so much for the kindness and courttesy of  listening to the download and responding to the broad issues raised.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2008 - 8:42PM #6
maidenhair_leaf
rod...."Oh....It's ok....I understand that being "chosen" and so close to God there is no need for you to respond"

then why do you keep pestering me? 
what do you want?
some magic formula that will make the pain go away?
i gave the last of it all to the last person who was kind to me, so there is none left...go find yourself another witch, and i highly recommend a change in attitude before you approach her.

rod..."And by the way......thanks ever so much for the kindness and courttesy of listening to the download and responding to the broad issues raised."

you are welcome !!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2008 - 10:00PM #7
MrBear
OH LOOK! Some Online Baha’I technique cut and ignore “magic formula” that seeks to make the valid point vanish and the impossibly painfull questions go away!

Mr Siegel  would be proud of you.

Not to worry….I’ll just hey presto it back again so you can pretend it does not exist again-

“have asked you OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO GIVE ME >ONE< EXAMPLE OF MY BEING “AGAINST THE BAHA’I WORLD” AND YOU REFUSE TO PUT >ANYTHING< FORWARD.

Leaf-
“what do you want”?

STRAIGHT ANSWER TO THE QUESTION REPEATEDLY ASKED.

Show me the thread/point/post in which I set myself “against the Baha’i world”
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2008 - 10:27PM #8
MrBear
“they can be easily saitsfied with the one they manufacture in His place”

Oh!....nice innuendo! The mysterious “they” have “manufactured”   false gods “in His place”

Gee…..I wonder if ‘they’ are the same folk who set themselves “against the whole Baha’i world”?

“that doesn;t necessarilly mean they want Him.”

Oh!....nice innuendo! The mysterious “they” are wanted by God but ‘they’ don’t  “necessarilly want Him”

Gee…..I wonder if ‘they’ are the same folk who set themselves “against the whole Baha’i world”?

Fire-
“rod has presented a clear case for the fact that humansd are at present humans”

Rod has presented (over a ten year period) a clear case that Online Baha’i behaviour is >worse< than the average Net slander produced by the average Net nutter.
It is worse because it is conducted against Baha’is or Ex Baha’is by folk who think they are “chosen” or have “chosen” God and are thus entitled to defend Him and His Cause from the “enemies” ‘they’ have invented.

But “Ah huh?...and?...so?....I don’t care?...why are you pestering me?...I’m being attentive to what the Divine Says---every instant” 

Fire-
“the net, self-regulating, self controlling, will determine the outcome”

If you had have actually listened to the download/link you might have made an insight not already covered therein.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2008 - 10:49PM #9
firestorminitiative
this was recorded live for a special for hbo to riase money for a school.
for children.

and i'm reminded of it...
clouds in my coffee.

and no. no innuendo towards anyone, in this, or in the poswt referenced. none.
  that would take...caring about any of it.
any of it.
today i passed out once, dry heaved once.
   screamed at someone.
  cried twice.
write a note to fm whic she will read when i'm gone about the pain and the joy of hearing her eat chocolate while i tried to have a place to stand.
i'll know by this time tomorrow what i got done today...or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B7bVD_DkM4

http://www.youtube.com/v/AZ_X4DeEcKk&hl=en
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2008 - 11:14PM #10
maidenhair_leaf
rod

rod......"STRAIGHT ANSWER TO THE QUESTION REPEATEDLY ASKED."

NO, i refuse to give YOU

anything.

Quick Reply
Cancel