Page 1 of 11  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next
6 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2008 - 1:40PM #1
allthegoodnamesweretaken
We have an issue here.  This board is almost as mean spirited and nasty as the Evangelical debate was when I decided to become host over there. 

It's easy to point fingers and blame other people for it, but that gets us no where.  I am proposing an attempt at a solution.  For it to work, we all have to work towards it. 

1.  No more ad hominems or insults.  Questioning people's mental states, educational levels, or even labeling as "trolls" will have to stop.

2.  This board is set up to specifically discuss Paganism.  In addition, all threads are allowed to have social discussions to help build community.  If it's not about Paganism, or social, don't do it here.  This includes all discussion of Christianity, Islam, and politics.  There are boards for those. 

3.  If something does not adhere to the ROC, or the parameters of the board, do not gripe about it on the board.  Report it to staff.  We have neat little links at the top of every post to do so. Griping about it on the board, or responding in kind only furthers the problem. 

all
Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2008 - 1:48PM #2
tameless_heart
I agree All, and will do my best to abide by those aforementioned rules.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2008 - 1:50PM #3
mainecaptain
I am with you, please forgive me for my past foolishness.
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2008 - 2:34PM #4
allthegoodnamesweretaken
I'm as guilty as anyone else, but what's done is done, and can't be undone. 

all
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2008 - 2:45PM #5
Velizabeth
I'm all for following the rules. I look forward to seeing actual discussions/debate. I got wound up pretty bad for a couple of days over this forum. Once again, I apologize for my actions to the people who are here for real discussions.

I want to say more, but it would pretty much go against agreeing with the original post :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2008 - 3:54PM #6
Dromahair
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]
"They invade our space, and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds, and we fall back. Not again.
The line must be drawn here! This far and no further!"
[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]
Capt. Picard - First Contact
[/COLOR]

>sigh<

I'm afraid my nature is to "call 'em as I see 'em" but I'll try to play nice - or just not post.
I just think it's silly to have to go running to mother every time someone posts a lie.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2008 - 4:04PM #7
allthegoodnamesweretaken
I have no authority here, so I'm not telling you what to do Drom. 

In any case, I'm not asking anyone to not confront a lie.  This is still a debate board, nice is, um, relative....

all
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2008 - 4:31PM #8
Gandalf_Parker
I promise to try my best to comply with your perfectly reasonable requests.

I generally try to consider posters to seriously be asking, even if it appears to be trolling.

And I generally try not to out shout someone by saying they are wrong, or lying, or stupid. I try to get them to shift their comments into the "in my opinion" range to avoid such conflicts.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2008 - 5:01PM #9
JGBookworm
Sounds extremely sensible to me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2008 - 4:04PM #10
Feinics
reasonable but one prob is not all who post on the debate forums will drop by the faith forums so community will suffer if we jump down everyones throats if the topic makes a slight derailment and sometimes debates need to take their own course. So lets not remove all the craic here, its possible to make a serious point without taking ourselves too seriously! People manage it all the time,  I noticed I had posts deleted on another forum without notification but the posts which were  offensive to me and my faith remained..  I really am starting to feel yer allowed to say whatever ya want to a pagan  or about their faith and its considered alright! Im not sensitive but its startin to piss me off! whats the point reportin posts when ya see time n time again that its ok to slag off pagan faiths and make personal remarks about em. The posts that will get deleted will be the one where people make humourous but essentially non personal jokes in an attempt to laugh off the insults and normally wont make a comment about the faith of the troll in question.
If someones a troll Im gonna call em one, hell it makes no difference they dont care, if they cared they would be trying to build up relations and exchange ideas not making inaccurate gross generalizations about our religions, they be debating points not making ad hom remarks and refusing to listen our points. I wouldnt mind if someone thinks my faith is a load of rubbish as long as they are willing to hear my side of it!
If anyone has a prob with my comments they can tell me straight up but if my posts start vanishing without so much as a whisper of why I'll be packing my broom and saying Slan!
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 11  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook