Switch to Forum Live View Eastern Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism
6 years ago  ::  Dec 30, 2008 - 10:32PM #1
solesearcher
I am confused as to the difference between these two as regards theology. I was raised Catholic and have recently begun exploring my faith from an adult perspective after having been away from the church for many years.  I have also read some about Eastern Orthodoxy and have several friends who are Orthodox. I've been to services in Greek & Serbian Orthodox churches.
There is much there that appeals to me but I have not the cultural connection i.e. I am neither Greek, nor Serbian, nor any of the other nationalities that belong to Orthodox Christianity. I am Irish/Catholic, born in Boston and in my late 50's.
Theology has always fascinated me. Can someone give me a learned response without being too esoteric? I will post a similar inquiry on the Catholic forum.

Thanks and Have a Safe and Happy New Year!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2008 - 1:12PM #2
WitnessNJ

I am confused as to the difference between these two as regards theology.  … Theology has always fascinated me. Can someone give me a learned response without being too esoteric? I will post a similar inquiry on the Catholic forum.

The two are quite similar, although there are some that will disagree.  I have been born into the Orthodox faith over fifty years ago. I know a little about the Catholic church because my wife was born into the Catholic faith and easily “converted” when we wedded.   

Much of the theology is the same.  But the few theological differences that do exist are items that are very important to the Orthodox faith.   Basically the differences are:

·In what is the fall of mankind
  ·In what Christ did to save mankind. 
  ·In Christ’s relationship with the others in the Trinity
  ·In what is the Church that Christ gave us
  ·And in the judgment at Christ’s second coming

Besides those five things,  the other differences come from how we understand and apply those five differences.  Such  as our understanding of the Holy Mysteries, the importance of  asceticism.  Orthodox Christianity strongly believes that God became man, so that man may become like God. This concept of theosis, rejects that salvation is a positive result to a legalistic dilemma, but a healing process. Orthodoxy views our inclination to sin as a symptom of a malady that needs treatment, not just a transgression that requires retribution. One of the distinctive characteristics of Orthodox Christian thinking is that it sees the Gospel message not as law, but as relationship. It speaks of the mystery of the Holy Trinity in terms of the relationship of love that exists among them. To join in that love is the work that will lead to salvation.

Both the Catholic and Orthodox Churches, once the same Church, have the same purpose.  It is the methods that are different. There are many other Christian faiths that do not even believe that the five above mentioned items have anything to do with Christianity.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook