Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Paganism and Atheism
5 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2009 - 5:03PM #11
Bran th' Blessed
It's not a big difference unless you're being unusually technical in your usage, which is my point.  Virginity is more attached to maiden than girl, but it is somewhat attached to both as opposed to the word, woman.  I'm only saying that the difference between pagan and neo-pagan is no more than what we make of it, and we should not make too much of it.  "Neo-" means new.  Let it go at that.

Bran th' Blessed
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2009 - 10:55PM #12
Dromahair
I don't think it's being "unusually" technical to point out that while every maiden is a girl not every girl is a maiden.  Your simile implies a difference when your suggestion is that none exists.  Clarity is our friend.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 04, 2009 - 7:16PM #13
Bran th' Blessed
I have sang many a song and read many a poem where the word "maiden" was used looslely, meaning only a young woman or girl who was single and if not a virgin, at least not nymphomaniac.  Common usage of words often stretches Mr. Webster's precision, so I would disagree with you about it NOT being "unusually" technical.  My goodness, I hope you are not so picky about the use of pagan versus neo-pagan.  In a work pretending scholarship, perhaps some distinction is warranted, but in common usage we understand what people who call themselves pagans OR neo-pagans are from the context in which the identification is made.

Bran th' Blessed
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 04, 2009 - 7:33PM #14
Wiscidea
Do Pagan parents refer to their children as Neo-Pagans?

heeeheeeeheee.....

Perhaps one can get clothing for new babies that has "Neo-Pagan" printed on it?

Peace.
"Some people claim that there's a woman to blame. But I know it's my own damn fault."

Jimmy Buffet (Margaritaville)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2009 - 9:07AM #15
Dromahair
Sorry, Bran, didn't realize we had added 'girl' and 'maiden' to the list of words which have no actual meaning.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2009 - 1:57AM #16
Bran th' Blessed
Dromahair, do you think any word has "meaning" outside the understanding of those who use them to communicate?  Dictionaries only record our shared understandings, not any objective meaning anyone cares about except lawyers and scholars.  If you bow before the book, the word witch might always be constrained to mean a worshipper of the devil.  I say that we who use the word most have some say in what we mean when we use it.  Meanings are not indelible, but subject to change and revision over time, as any perusal of word derivations will show.

Bran th' Blessed
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2009 - 9:10AM #17
seventhcrow

tameless_heart wrote:

No problem. Just glad it didn't come off like I was trying to start an argument. ^_^

...with you being a known troublemaker, I can see that would be a concern....

;-D

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2009 - 9:12AM #18
Sacrificialgoddess

seventhcrow wrote:

...with you being a known troublemaker, I can see that would be a concern....

;-D

She does like to pick fights!   But I think that just puts her in good company with the rest of us!  :D

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2009 - 10:01AM #19
Dromahair

Bran th' Blessed wrote:

Dromahair, do you think any word has "meaning" outside the understanding of those who use them to communicate?  Dictionaries only record our shared understandings, not any objective meaning anyone cares about except lawyers and scholars.

Blah - blah - blah   -   I'm gonna try this one more time.

You were trying to say that there was no objective difference between Pagan and Neo-Pagan.

If you're going to attempt to demonstrate a difference (or lack there of) to a wide audience it behooves you to be as SIMPLE and CLEAR as possible.  It's just possible that there are folks out there reading this thread who have never heard YOUR poetry and don't realize that for you there is no objective difference between a girl and a maiden.  -sheesh-

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2009 - 12:26PM #20
Bran th' Blessed

Dromahair wrote:

Blah - blah - blah   -   I'm gonna try this one more time.

You were trying to say that there was no objective difference between Pagan and Neo-Pagan.

If you're going to attempt to demonstrate a difference (or lack there of) to a wide audience it behooves you to be as SIMPLE and CLEAR as possible.  It's just possible that there are folks out there reading this thread who have never heard YOUR poetry and don't realize that for you there is no objective difference between a girl and a maiden.  -sheesh-

I don't know about the other possibility you mention, but it's clearly possible, by your fine example, that there are "folks out there reading this thread who" will gnitpick the least issue to death.  And by my example, there are those who will gnitpick back, tit for tat.  Now tell me, and you haven't yet, what DO you think about the two words?  Do you think of them roughly as old and new pagan religious styles, and does it really matter if a modern wiccan calls themself a pagan rather than a neo-pagan?

Bran th' Blessed

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook