Switch to Forum Live View Where is the debate?
6 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2008 - 12:34AM #1
ProfessorGoatPellets
Greetings one and all,

What has happened to this forum?

The Scientology forum used to be one of the most active - now it is dead.  Four or five years ago it was probably the best on the site.

Why the downturn?  There are now only a handful of people who post here ...

My personal opinion is that BeliefNet has driven away anyone who want some sort of serious debate by dumbing down with crap articles like 'Will God bail out the US car industry' ...  hardly thought provoking is it?

A sign of the times I suppose ...

Goat
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2008 - 5:55PM #2
fluffygirl
Ah, but this has been going on for years. I've known a lot of people who stopped posting to B'net for those reasons over the years. The format of the board is relatively new-ish, but in operation, nothing's changed.

I found it interesting how many people were viewing threads but not replying to them- since the board now shows that particular "stat".

I don't think the articles are driving people away- B'net has always had a lot of populist and facile type articles. Personally, I always thought some of them were kind of fun.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2008 - 2:23AM #3
whichone
Beliefnet's forums were more active when I first came here, but they have been over time slowing down. It really slowed down a lot when people got frustrated by the early glitches of the Beta forum. Some people complained a lot the first 3 months of Beta, I have never seen them here since. I think changing the debate & critique forum title to discussion confused some people too. It seems to have put a damper on debate which is a shame because I frequently learn more from a debate forum than the community forum. Maybe it is just me, but I feel freer to ask questions on a debate forum than on a question or community forum.....I am not sure how to describe it exactly, but in debate I am not as afraid of offending someone. There is a sense ...rightly that you need to be polite in a community or learn about forum. A dumb question can come across offensively, but in a debate forum people have a thicker skin and expect a little bit of dumbness and some offensiveness to happen.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 17, 2008 - 3:22PM #4
fluffygirl
Nice to see you again, WhichOne! 

I have seen a lot of people express frustration with B'net but it wasn't all format related, let me put it that way. I would love to see people feeling free to talk here and also not have separate forums for different types of Scn'ists...that's why I've come to prefer the debate one.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 20, 2008 - 7:56PM #5
whichone
Hi Fluffygirl,

It is always nice to hear from you.  Why did they create a seperate forum for freezone scientologists?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 20, 2008 - 10:06PM #6
merlinn
Well hi there, folks...

Let me jump in here with a bit of history and explanation.

There are a number of religious groups on Beliefnet whose members are represented by a variety of different sects. Scientology is one of those groups. In this and in other "segmented" groups there is often disagreement as to which sect represents "the true faith." Beliefnet's response is to establish sub-forums where each sect can converse along its own lines of belief.

The Scientology Freezone forum was created as a result of what we might call "Church Scientologists" and "Freezone (i.e., non-Church members) Scientologists" disagreeing about who had the right to post on what was then called the "Learn about Scientology" and "Church of Scientology" forums.

After considerable discussion with both Church members and Freezone Scientologists, Beliefnet established the "Scientology: Freezone" forum. Guidelines are that the "Church of Scientology" forum is for members of the Church to converse with one another. It is not open to non-members. The "Freezone" forum is primarily for non-Church members to converse, although it is also open to guests.

Technically the "Welcome: Scientology" forum is for questions from people with little or no experience of Scientology, which may be answered by members of the Church. However, with Beliefnet's new format, it's not always clear to newcomers that this is where to post questions, and they often end up on the "Church of Scientology" forum. Depending on the nature of the question, the moderation on this particular issue is rather lax.

The "Discuss Scientology" forum is open to Church members, non-Church member Scientologists, and non-Scientologists."

I hope that makes a little sense!
Merlinn
Beliefnet Community Host
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 21, 2008 - 3:46AM #7
whichone
Thank you for the explaination Merlinn.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 29, 2008 - 1:24PM #8
fluffygirl

whichone wrote:

Hi Fluffygirl,

It is always nice to hear from you. Why did they create a seperate forum for freezone scientologists?

Well, Merlinn already answered this. I was involved at the time (very much so) , so I'll only add/recap by saying that it appears that B'net received feedback from some people who objected to certain others being able to post to the non debate Scn forums. So we ended up with a "separate but equal" type of thing where a new FZ forum was created. No Freezoner requested this- this was B'net's suggestion and ultimate solution to the situation.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook