Page 1 of 63  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 63 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Mormons try to defeat Calif. gay marriage
6 years ago  ::  Sep 16, 2008 - 9:27PM #1
mecdukebec
Tuesday, 16 September 2008
LDS donate millions to fight gay marriage    
Joe Pyrah - Daily Herald   

There are a few things that will get LDS Church members to open up their pocketbooks: a Mormon presidential candidate, tithing and gay marriage.
Church members, mostly from California, have made individual donations close to $5 million in support of Proposition 8, counting only donations of more than $1,000, according to one Web site. The proposition is on the November ballot and would change the state's constitution to allow for marriage only between a man and a woman.

Gay marriage has been legal in California since earlier this year, when the state Supreme Court ruled against a state ban on same sex marriage in a 4-3 decision. The ban was passed in a 2000 voter referendum.

In June, California church authorities read a statement from Salt Lake City leaders over the pulpit that church members "do all [they] can to support the proposed constitutional amendment."

That has resulted in a mass of donations, said Nadine Hansen, who runs the Web site MormonsFor8.com. The site has a spreadsheet that shows donors in favor of Proposition 8 who have given more than $1,000. Such donations have to be reported immediately and are thus updated every night.

"I suspect that when this is done, probably 80 percent of the money [from individuals] will be from Mormons," said Hansen, who describes her site as a neutral place to simply show who is donating. So far, the numbers show it's closer to 30 percent, but many areas have yet to report and many small donors haven't been catalogued yet.

Figuring out who is a member of the LDS Church has been a patchwork effort. Some names are well known, but others have been found through blogs, neighbors and even donors themselves.

"We didn't know what kind of information we were going to get," Hansen said. "But we seem to be getting some very honest information from people."

LDS Church spokesman Scott Trotter said Monday that donor questions should be directed to ProtectMarriage, a coalition trying to pass the proposition. Coalition spokeswoman Jennifer Kerns said the church has played a significant role in support of the proposition, but that the coalition does not keep track of donors' religions.

Source:  http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/280669/3/

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 16, 2008 - 10:48PM #2
Kib
Sweet!  I should check out MormonsFor8.com and see if I'm on their list...I'm famous!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 16, 2008 - 10:53PM #3
Kemmer
I hope the Mormons keep pouring in their money---money down a rathole--because polls show Prop. 8 is going to be defeated.

Even if it is passed, amendments are NOT retroactive, and those gay couples who have been legally married since June will REMAIN legally married.  And then the court anti-discrimination suits will begin in earnest by gay couples demanding equality with their already-married fellows.  Repeal will soon follow.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 17, 2008 - 12:11AM #4
PaxRomana
[QUOTE=mecdukebec;765519]
Church members, mostly from California, have made individual donations close to $5 million in support of Proposition 8, counting only donations of more than $1,000, according to one Web site. The proposition is on the November ballot and would change the state's constitution to allow for marriage only between a man and a woman.[/QUOTE]

A fool and his money....
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 17, 2008 - 12:56AM #5
icedlattee
[QUOTE=Kib;765685]Sweet!  I should check out MormonsFor8.com and see if I'm on their list...I'm famous![/QUOTE]

Amazing!  A quarter of a million here and a half a million there, just to stop someone else's happiness.  How sad!  People with more money than sense.  Typical, sadly typical.  :rolleyes:
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. The sinners are much more fun.

Billy Joel
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 17, 2008 - 1:04AM #6
Kemmer
Whatever paltry amounts Mormons are being goaded into donating, you can bet your sweet bippy that the wedding industry is licking its chops and shelling out mucho dinero to defeat.  Gay weddings and all the attendant stuff just might solve California's budget troubles.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 17, 2008 - 1:07AM #7
icedlattee
Excellent!  What ever it takes  to bring about  righteous behavior.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. The sinners are much more fun.

Billy Joel
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 17, 2008 - 1:21AM #8
Kemmer
My buddy and his wife are attending a gay wedding at the Ahwanee Hotel in Yosemite next month, together with room reservations, 2 dinners and the works.  It's probably going to cost enough so that the hotel can shut down for the winter and still clear a profit.

My partner and I stayed there once and paid over $300/night for a shabby little broom closet on the second floor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 17, 2008 - 1:23AM #9
Kib
[QUOTE=Kemmer;765699]I hope the Mormons keep pouring in their money---money down a rathole--because polls show Prop. 8 is going to be defeated.

I did some internal polling for Prop 8 and it did not at all reflect that one poll that came out last week.

Kemmer]Even if it is passed, amendments are NOT retroactive, and those gay couples who have been legally married since June will REMAIN legally married.

Tell me about it.  wrote:

Even if it is passed, amendments are NOT retroactive, and those gay couples who have been legally married since June will REMAIN legally married.[/quote]

Tell me about it.  The CBS Early show keeps saying that Prop 8 will nullify Mr. Sulu's gay marriage.  They're a bunch of liars.  When the San Francisco based supreme court disenfranchised the votes of millions of Californians earlier this year by overturning Prop 22 they refused to stay their decision until November.  I would vote Yes on Prop 8 for that reason alone.  The government is forcing its morality down the throats of Californians.

Kemmer]And then the court anti-discrimination suits will begin in earnest by gay couples demanding equality with their already-married fellows.  wrote:

And then the court anti-discrimination suits will begin in earnest by gay couples demanding equality with their already-married fellows.  Repeal will soon follow.[/QUOTE]

I suspect those lawsuits will follow regardless of the outcome.  If Prop 8 fails its only a matter of time before religions are sued for not performing gay marriages in their churches.  They will be categorized as hate groups by the government and will lose their tax exempt status.  Public school teachers will be forced to teach kids that gay marriage is equal to traditional marriage even if they are personally morally opposed to it.  Religious adoption agencies will close their doors as the state will require that they adopt babies to homosexual couples.  This is all happening in Massachusetts right now.

iced]Amazing! A quarter of a million here and a half a million there, just to stop someone else's happiness. How sad! People with more money than sense. Typical, sadly typical.

Happiness has nothing to do with it.  wrote:

Amazing! A quarter of a million here and a half a million there, just to stop someone else's happiness. How sad! People with more money than sense. Typical, sadly typical.[/quote]

Happiness has nothing to do with it.  California already grants equal benefits to gay couples as traditional couples.  The fight is over the definition of marriage.

Is the union of a man and a man equal to the union of a man and a woman?  I say it isn't.  And so do most Americans.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 17, 2008 - 1:39AM #10
Kemmer

The government is forcing its morality down the throats of Californians.

Au contraire.  It's nullifying the control fundamentalists have in forcing THEIR morality on others.

Quote:

If Prop 8 fails its only a matter of time before religions are sued for not performing gay marriages in their churches. They will be categorized as hate groups by the government and will lose their tax exempt status.

That's absurd.  No religious sect will be required to perform or recognize gay marriage.  And no self-respecting gay couple would EVER demand to be accepted or married in a church which views them as sinful and depraved.  Get real!

Public school teachers will be forced to teach kids that gay marriage is equal to traditional marriage even if they are personally morally opposed to it.

Crazy.  I am a public school teacher, and you obviously have no idea what we can and cannot do in the classroom.  My students don't even suspect that I am gay. 

Religious adoption agencies will close their doors as the state will require that they adopt babies to homosexual couples. This is all happening in Massachusetts right now.

The Catholic archbishop of San Francisco, under pressure from the Vatican, closed Catholic Charities to gay adoptions.  Officially.  But worked loopholes by offering Catholic Charities resources to outside agencies to place orphans in foster homes, gay or straight.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 63  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 63 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook