Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Spirituality and African Hair Origins
6 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2008 - 1:11PM #21
Truth27
"Also, consider Europeans and other Caucasians have thin stringy hair on their heads, underarms and pubic areas some have curly kinky pubic hair."

Again, people of Eurasian descent have straight hair on their heads for a reason (see my previous post).  It has to do with the fact that UV can travel into the skin through straight HUMAN hair shafts, but the laws of physics are such that a 'kink' in such a shaft prevents light from passing through.  The early Eurasian migrants were dark skinned with kinky/nappy/wooly hair.  Hence UV was not penetrating into neither their hair nor skin.  That was a problem for them because they needed the scarce UV light to penetrate their skin in order for their bodies to make vitamin D (essential for bone formation).  The obvious alteration that needed to occur was a change in SKIN color that would allow light to pass through.  However, this process didn't occur overnight.  Rather, it took many many generations.  Thus during this TRANSITION period (from dark to light skin), those who also expressed straighter hair were able to survive better given that straight HUMAN hair (according to Iyengar 1998) allows UV to pass through into the skin.

As for the pubic areas, as discussed earlier, by 60,000 years ago, modern humans had arrived on the Eurasian scene.  They had spent the previous 120,000 years in Africa and had just migrated to Eurasia.  Believe me, in order to get that far, they HAD to be smart enough to hunt with tools.  Given this, they were also smart enough to cover their bodies with the hides of the animals they hunted.  Especially when it was cold (ie in Eurasia).  In this sense, the pubic area and underarms were covered most of the time in cold regions.  Hence the main hairy area that mattered in terms of getting UV light into the body was likely HEAD hair only.  Therefore it didn't matter if their hair stayed kinky/nappy/wooly to a greater extent in covered body parts (the groin and underarms).  It was the HEAD hair that mattered most.

"Was this because they were living in colder climates and that their clothing caused straightening of their hair ?"

No.  See why Eurasian hair straightened by reading my above post.

"How come that doesn't happen to Africans who move to colder climates and who wear clothes and headdresses ?"

Westerners now attain vitamin D through the huge variety of foods that we consume--especially fish and certain veggies (although to some experts, blacks still don't get enough to prevent certain things like low birth weight, diabetes etc).  Its enough to prevent our bones from being malformed etc.  The early Eurasians didn't have that luxury.  Technology has 'saved' us from having to 'change' in that way.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2008 - 5:21PM #22
Truth27
One other thing that troubles me about the mystery surronding kinky/nappy/wooly hair is the pathology resulting from it.  Ignorance leads to emotional harm a lot of the time.  Along these lines I'm wondering if anyone has read the children's book entitled 'Nappy Hair' by Carolivia Herron?  It's written in the traditional African American call and response/signifying style.  The narrator is basically expounding upon the awesome nappiness of his granddaughter's(?) hair.  At one point, he even exclaims that he wonder's why God would give such a young sweet child such nappy hair...(or something along those lines)!!!!  In this sense, ignorance as to the function of nappy hair gave rise to Herron even wondering 'what's it for?' and why would God 'curse' this innocent child with it?  Can you imagine the HARM of such an idea being read to CHILDREN of any race?  They'll think African hair is a curse whether they previously believed it or not!!!!

My research, as partially articulated here, addresses this mystery so that ponderings such as Herron's will cease.  With such information, we can move on with or without our weaves and chemicals.  For at least we will know on a deep level that, regardless of the fact that this race-rooted/stratified society would have us think negatively of them, there was a specific and special purpose for virtually all aspects of our appearance; including and especially our hair.  Without this information, many of us will always wonder if we've been 'cursed' or 'punished' somehow because of our hair (and other aspects of our appearance)....We haven't.  As I've expressed here, African hair served a profound purpose during a period of time that was crucial to the survival of the pre-human lineage.  It's expression is a reflection of the fact that a) the hot equator/Africa is the point of origin of all pre and modern humans, and b) the African gene pool has been isolated/preserved by way of the Sahara desert (unlike India which was continually exposed to northerners--see my post on India above). 

Africa is the site of many of the major physiologically and socially transformative events in the history of the pre-human (and modern human) line.  There was no adaptive reason for Africans to switch back to straight hair....Therefore Africans didn't switch.  Eurasians on the other hand had their reasons.....(the cold climate).   IMHO, given the way that soceity at large tends to stigmatize kinky/nappy/wooly hair, acceptance of the evidence supporting these claims has healing, spiritual implications.  Those who find peace with it are those for whom I did this research :-).

Peace and Ashe.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2008 - 12:00PM #23
Truth27
So....why has this topic only seemed interesting to me thus far (and luv for a bit)?  I'd appreciate someone letting me know.  After all, I was hoping to write a book on this topic.  If no one is interested in it enough to engage me in conversation about it, then I guess my book wouldn't really sell....Is it that no one cares?  Or is it that no one understands what I'm trying to say?

Peace.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2008 - 6:29PM #24
Truth27
Is anybody out there?  Does anybody care?  Please talk to me.

Peace.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2008 - 1:33PM #25
lindex
jesus is coming soon ,this i must warn all nations of all colours,please get your house in order,are you a commandment keeping people  are yyou a sabbath keeper of the seventh day and not the first,find out the truth read exodus chapter 20
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook