Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 15  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15 Next
Switch to Forum Live View A Question About Spirit Beings
10 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2008 - 10:04AM #1
SpeakingOut
If I’m stating LDS beliefs correctly, everyone who lives, ever lived, or will live on earth was first a spirit being. This creates a big question for me: What did certain spirit beings do wrong in the pre-existence to end up agonizingly emotionally or mentally disabled here on earth? I’m not talking minor emotional or mental problems…we all have those.

I’m talking, for example, a 14-year-old girl I know well, who was born with extreme anxiety disorder, ADHD, bi-polar, and ODD. Since day one, as an innocent infant, she screamed at most touches and many sounds. She is brilliant but explosive, unfocused, and violent. Her parents are intelligent, loving, patient, determined people. They have devoted a great deal of time, love, energy, and money on trying to give this girl the best chance in life. But now the girl has been put into a residential treatment program, having gotten to the point of harming herself and her parents. In the times when the girl is calmer…and there are some of those times…she says she hates being like she is and wants to be like everybody else. She has no friends yet desires them so very much. It’s heartbreaking. So, would LDS believe she was a bad “spirit being” before she came here on earth? Is she having to suffer for something she did wrong before she was conceived? If not, why does God force a previously good, innocent spirit being into having such a hell on earth...one who endangers herself and others?
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2008 - 10:33AM #2
withwonderingawe
Speaking asked; What did certain spirit beings do wrong in the pre-existence to end up agonizingly emotionally or mentally disabled here on earth?

Absolutely nothing! It could be that she was a perfect spirit the caliber of Jesus. I have a foster son whose mental IQ is about 4, he is a perfect spirit he only came to this earth life to obtain a body and be my trial, believe me he’s a trail.

We are all born with problems both mental and physical, my son is bipolar and extremely dyslexic. We are here to overcome those problems or learn to deal with them. In the case of your friend not only does she have her struggles but so do her parents. It seems from your story they are passing the test with flying colors. Other parents might abandon their child.

When she enters heaven her physical and mental challenges will be healed her tears will be wiped away and she will receive a Celestial glory.
Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2008 - 10:53AM #3
icedlattee

It could be that she was a perfect spirit the caliber of Jesus.

Better start cleaning off your shoes WWA.  You really stepped in it this time. 

It isn't that I necessarily disagree with you in theory, but that isn't a very Christian like thing to say.

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. The sinners are much more fun.

Billy Joel
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2008 - 10:56AM #4
SpeakingOut
Thanks for your reply, WWA. It sounds like you're doing a wonderful job with your foster child and son.

Another question, though, asked respectfully. If the girl I know never improves and must remain insitutionalized, or if she is released and her uncorrected destructive behavior causes her to (heaven forbid) commit a violent crime and go to prison, and therefore she never is well enough to marry, does this mean she can never reach the highest level of Glory?
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2008 - 11:22AM #5
Jen_ks

SpeakingOut wrote:

(snip)and therefore she never is well enough to marry, does this mean she can never reach the highest level of Glory?

According to mormon theology, yes.

~host of the Mormon Debate Board~
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2008 - 11:36AM #6
withwonderingawe
Speaking; If the girl I know never improves and must remain insitutionalized, or if she is released and her uncorrected destructive behavior causes her to (heaven forbid) commit a violent crime and go to prison, and therefore she never is well enough to marry, does this mean she can never reach the highest level of Glory?

Any of her violent acts are not being done with full and knowledgeable malice, but are out of her personal control, so she is not held responsible for them.

It will all be worked out in the next life, no one gets penalized for something they have no control over. She will find a wonderful man who perhaps had the same kind of struggles they will be sealed and enter the Celestial Kingdom.
Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2008 - 11:40AM #7
Ironhold
[QUOTE=Jen_KS;194583]According to mormon theology, yes.[/QUOTE]

Actually Jen, no.

If a person fails to marry through no fault of their own, it will not be held against them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2008 - 12:09PM #8
icedlattee

Ironhold wrote:

Actually Jen, no.

If a person fails to marry through no fault of their own, it will not be held against them.

But will they ever be able to advance to the highest level of the CK?

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. The sinners are much more fun.

Billy Joel
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2008 - 12:18PM #9
Ironhold
[QUOTE=icedlattee;194741]But will they ever be able to advance to the highest level of the CK?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

Like I said, it won't be held against them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2008 - 12:46PM #10
withwonderingawe
Yes they will go to the highest of the highest!
Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 15  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook