Switch to Forum Live View Relevance of shamanism in today's modern world?
6 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2008 - 12:34PM #1
Redfrog777
I have been wondering this question for some time now. I personally follow my shamanic path because it is the journey put before be. And while I personally find a great deal of relevance on a personal level. I am wondering what value if any there may be for the modern world at large for shamanism?

Any thoughts?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 17, 2008 - 9:12AM #2
kraventhearcher
Interesting question.
What relevance should Shamanism have to the world, in theory?

Should it have any? Does it have to have meaning?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2008 - 10:12PM #3
Whisperingal
A lot of people need help healing.

And in finding their own paths.

Also--many shamanic practioners work for families or communities or other specific groups--in the same ways that so-called traditional shamans do/did.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2008 - 10:15PM #4
Sacrificialgoddess
I have heard it said that the difference between shamans and schizophrenics is that the shaman swims whereas the schizophrenic drowns.  Maybe the reason we have shamans is we need someone to teach the schizophrenics to swim.
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 21, 2008 - 5:56PM #5
Agnosticspirit
If shamanism is the original religion,  then it'll still remain relevant as the oldest branches of the tree.

More people are becoming "spiritual" but not religious as they continue to question the validity of organized religion. As more adherents recognize the possibility that there's more than one way to travel the same journey, the "big three" of monotheist religions are coming to realize that unless THEY reform and reshape, THEY could become irrelevant as people return to the "old ways" of  paganism, shamanism,  naturural and other indigenous religions.

I think it's a good thing; more emphasis on the personal journey and less emphasis on "It's right because I said so"!
Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2009 - 2:36PM #6
Moonsmith

Redfrog777 wrote:

I have been wondering this question for some time now. I personally follow my shamanic path because it is the journey put before be. And while I personally find a great deal of relevance on a personal level. I am wondering what value if any there may be for the modern world at large for shamanism?

Any thoughts?

'Shamanism' as the term is so often coined, is not for the 'world at large'. It is a system developed for the use of an individual to help their tribal community or individual members within it. I hope it will never have a mass appeal, but I fear that is an unrealistic hope on my part.

For the modern, world I feel it has the same place it always has held. The lifestyle may change, as may the beliefs but the need for clarity, healing and oracle from differing realms will always be needed and requested by those who know who and how to ask. I see little difference now that we are 'civilized'....we are still those self centered beings who are scared of the dark and our own shadows...

That's my tuppence, anyway...

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook