Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
6 years ago  ::  Sep 22, 2008 - 8:02PM #41
CreakyHedgewitch

Groves are not a particularly Wiccan terminology, and more describes Dianics or Druids, really.

Curious where you heard Grove in relationship to Dianics. Now perhaps Dianic Wiccans... I have only really seen Grove myself in reference to Druids or Pagans. The term Circle has been my experience as the customary term for Dianic Pagans.  However the mileage of others may vary.

C.H.

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 23, 2008 - 9:41PM #42
TheWhiteHart
[QUOTE=CreakyHedgewitch;777508]Curious where you heard Grove in relationship to Dianics. Now perhaps Dianic Wiccans... I have only really seen Grove myself in reference to Druids or Pagans. The term Circle has been my experience as the customary term for Dianic Pagans.  However the mileage of others may vary.

C.H.[/QUOTE]

You know, I think I read it somewhere, Creaky. LOL. Can't remember where, now.
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  May 01, 2013 - 12:22AM #43
OrthodoxTradition

Jul 24, 2008 -- 7:09PM, LeahOne wrote:

I will look up the chapter and verse of the original, but the infamous 'thou shalt not suffer a witch to live' is another MIStranslation: the word used means 'poisoner'. It's referring to a specific clam who were rather like the assassain cult....

That's not true, and it shows you have not even read the book. Exodus 22:18: witch (kashap)= to practice magic or sorcery, to enchant, or to use witchcraft. (See, Brown Driver and Briggs Hebrew English Lexicon, s.v. 3784; International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, vol. 3; Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament, vol.1, s.v. 1051).

In addition, the same word "witch" (kashap) is used in other passages where the context is magic or sorcerer, not a poisoner. (See: Ex. 7:11; Deut. 18:10; 2Chron 33:6; Mal. 3:5).

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  May 01, 2013 - 12:34AM #44
LeahOne

OT - if that's your position, then please tell me what the root of the word is, how it's spelled, and what other words it's related to, thanks.

Generally, I prefer to use resources which don't refer to the Tanakh as 'the Old Testament', because the authors are either long since dead and not aware of more recent developments in research - or do not have what I consider proper regard for the Tanakh in its original context.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook