Switch to Forum Live View progressive christian- thats an odd combination of terms!
5 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2009 - 10:26AM #1
griggs1947

peterduce, yea, progressive Christinsanity suffers from the same defect as fundamentalism- faith. Like most forms of Christianity it accepts the Virgin Birth, miracles and the Resurrection, contrary to science.

Its espousal of theistic evolution calls forth obscurantism and  is an  oxymoron. It presents the new Omphalos argument that,  albeit natural selection, the non-planning anti-chance agency of Nature ,working as a sieve,  presents no  cosmic  teleology - no predetermined outcome,  God deceives us thereby, as He directs selection. Nay, that is an argument from ignorance.

Progressive Christianity according to Alister McGrath and Keith Ward relies on the message in the Bible of hope. Yet that hope has no veridicality- just faith whilst the use of reason is the basis of hope!

Reason saves,  not that long-dead Galilean.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2009 - 12:23PM #2
grampawombat

Several problems here:

1) I can only see the "reply" post by griggs. The original Peter Duce post is missing.

2) On the basis of the title of the thread and the content of the one post that I can see, there are two possibilities, namely neither of the posters read the sticky at the top of the page or they both decided to ignore it. There are guidelines for posting and it is simply a matter of courtesy to observe them.

3) I looked up the people cited by Griggs on Wikipedia, and they are not exactly what we progressives would consider fellow progressives. It is unfortunate when folks ignore the guidelines, but even more unfortunate when they don't even know who it is that they are talking about or what those folks believe.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 27, 2009 - 9:43AM #3
Dostojevsky

Progressive Christianity; I thought how nice, this is progress taking place, to move forwards or onwards, to move towards or bring nearer to completion or perfection.

Yet the defenition here  if that is what it is called, for Progressives the Bible is inerrant.

In todays age of sciences and correspondences and NDE etc etc should it not be renamed, Regressive? But - let it be .. is there a true Progressive Forum where people can ask and debate and move forward with an open mind exploring the Bible, religion, conscience, the Divine Being, etc...etc

I am new around here and have not seen a Forum of above descriprion.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 27, 2009 - 12:15PM #4
grampawombat

Now I'm really confused. There is nothing in progressive Christianity that would lead one to believe that the Bible is inerrant. On the other hand, the idea of moving toward "completion or perfection, "while perhaps held by some of the regulars here, is more of a 19th century notion.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 27, 2009 - 4:14PM #5
Stardove

This thread has been moved from the Progressive Christians forum.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 28, 2009 - 4:20AM #6
Dostojevsky

Jul 27, 2009 -- 12:15PM, grampawombat wrote:

Now I'm really confused. There is nothing in progressive Christianity that would lead one to believe that the Bible is inerrant. On the other hand, the idea of moving toward "completion or perfection, "while perhaps held by some of the regulars here, is more of a 19th century notion.

Hi; I looked up for a definition of Progressive and Traditional Christianity on this website and for both it stipulates the belief that 'the Bible is inerrant'. I suppose I can find if I look for it hard enough just that I copied it on a piece of paper as i read it..

I looked up Collins Dictionary printed 1989  for the word 'progressive' and the quoting in my post for 'progressive'  is taken from there.

I suppose the final question is, what is Progressive Christianity and what is Traditional?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 28, 2009 - 9:12PM #7
Stardove

Jul 28, 2009 -- 4:20AM, Dostojevsky wrote:

Jul 27, 2009 -- 12:15PM, grampawombat wrote:

Now I'm really confused. There is nothing in progressive Christianity that would lead one to believe that the Bible is inerrant. On the other hand, the idea of moving toward "completion or perfection, "while perhaps held by some of the regulars here, is more of a 19th century notion.

Hi; I looked up for a definition of Progressive and Traditional Christianity on this website and for both it stipulates the belief that 'the Bible is inerrant'. I suppose I can find if I look for it hard enough just that I copied it on a piece of paper as i read it..

I looked up Collins Dictionary printed 1989  for the word 'progressive' and the quoting in my post for 'progressive'  is taken from there.

I suppose the final question is, what is Progressive Christianity and what is Traditional?

Differences between Progressive Christianity and traditional Christianity

Holding to the ideals of Progressive Christianity sets the movement apart from other forms of traditional Christianity. Many, if not most, Progressive Christians believe that the Bible is not the literal word of God. While all Progressive Christians recognize Jesus Christ, some view him not as the only way to God, but one of many ways, continuing the Christian modernist paradigm. Inclusiveness and acceptance is the basic posture of Progressive Christianity. Progressive Christians tend to focus on issues of social justice, rather than proselytizing efforts to convert others, as conservatives and mainstream Evangelicals tend to emphasize.

Hopefully other Progressive Christians will respond to your post.  I was raised in a traditional Christian church, a Southern Baptist church.  The teachings of the Unity Church feel right as I have matured in my faith.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 29, 2009 - 8:59AM #8
Dostojevsky

Thank you Stardove for making it clearerSmile

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook