Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
7 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2007 - 9:15PM #1
nieciedo
TPL:

I'm sorry I got on your case about the Catholicism thing. It's an atavistic reaction from fundies claiming that Catholics are not real Christians. Plus its frustration with this "Messianic" mishegas. I'm sorry. This is not the first time I've gotten into a war with you -- more like the third. I don't know why that is but I regret it.

UFRETR:

I must be honest and say that I will never understand you or your religion and I will always feel offended and threatened by your religion. But that does not give me the right to treat you an embodiment of your religion and vent my spleen at you. I'm sorry. I did not mean any offense in that post about mutilation. I was serious. As I said, I know (knew) two people who mutilated themselves because they believed they "had to." One was hospitalized, one died.

It's probably for the best -- for me and for you all -- that I give this forum a rest. No good is happening here.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2007 - 9:39PM #2
theprinterlady
Whew. There for a minute I was worried I was in trouble!!!! (Don't you love dealing with a pessimist???)

I am very aware that the name calling goes both ways in the Protestant/Catholic issue. I was raised to believe Catholics are Christians, and it wasn't until I was sitting in a Fundamentalist bible study with my Catholic friend  when I was in my mid 20's (okay, I have lead sort of a sheltered life... and maybe I don't pay attention as closely as I ought all the time)... but  imagine my horror when... one of the guys cut loose with a stream of really bad horrid things about Catholics and the pope... culminating with the statement that all Cathoics were demon possessed!!!!!!

Being me, I first thought he was kidding... and then I saw my friends face and I said, "You know she's Catholic"... and then he had the good grace to get embarrassed - but it was one of the more socially uncomfortable things I've ever been involved in.  I knew from our families experience that the Catholics thought I wasn't saved, but I had NO IDEA WHATSOEVER that Protestants thought the same of Catholics. I've never understood it. I assume that you were on the receiving end of things like that, and I feel badly for it.

Anyway, the reason you and I tango a lot is because we are both opinionated, strong people who speak their mind. Being one of these sort, I kind of like people like that.  And sometimes the tussle is fun. (Hey, it's cheap (free) entertainment). On my budget, that means a lot!!!!

I'm astonishingly difficult to offend to the point of not being friends, so please consider me still a friend. I do you. It is an honor to get to know people who are willing to share their paths - and their hearts - to perfect strangers.

Well, okay, I'm not really perfect, but here you don't have to know that.... sheesh, the illusion was going so well, too....

:p
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2007 - 9:54PM #3
nieciedo
Aww, thanks! TPL. I'm glad we're cool.

Remember also that I was an Irish Catholic. Besides the doctrinal disputes, add 400 years of English Protestant oppression to the mix! :-)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2007 - 10:13PM #4
theprinterlady
We shoulda gone to school together.... at least we coulda been two against the world....

Use your imagination here....  I was taller than everyone by head and shoulders... wore glasses.... was deeply relgious.... have a slight speech impediment... was smart (and probably a "know it all" who raised her hand every chance she got).... and when we went through some hard times, I was dressed in clothes 20 years out of date from the Goodwill.

Yep. Elementary school was hell.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2007 - 10:18PM #5
nieciedo
[QUOTE=theprinterlady;104364]We shoulda gone to school together.... at least we coulda been two against the world....

Use your imagination here....  I was taller than everyone by head and shoulders... wore glasses.... was deeply relgious.... have a slight speech impediment... was smart (and probably a "know it all" who raised her hand every chance she got).... and when we went through some hard times, I was dressed in clothes 20 years out of date from the Goodwill.

Yep. Elementary school was hell.[/QUOTE]

I was the small kid, glasses, know-it all, too smart for my own good, teacher's pet, awkward loner, always reading books, the smothered only child of an overprotective mother, my wardrobe came from garage sales and my cultural reference came from Nick at Nite and NPR. Also, the whole gay thing. :-)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2007 - 8:09AM #6
river8101
Well, Niec,

Since you seem to be in a good mood, I'll ask this question.  Who IS that picture of on your posts?
“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2007 - 8:14AM #7
river8101
TPL

Do you think many people who write on forums have had bad experiences in elementary schools.  You, me, Niec, Uf,  (I'm thinking....probably more) And are we the ones who have no problem arguing with someone who obviously thinks they are better than we are because they put us down with their nasty posts in a sugary coated, respectful manner?

"I know you don't mean to sound that way, but with all do respect ........... you are arrogant, egotistical and argumentative!"
“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2007 - 8:49AM #8
Bunsinspace
BS"D

Elementary school?  One day I showed up at a Jewish academy wearing a regular Israeli kibbutz hat instead of the yarmulke that everyone typically wore.  Most of the kids just stared but the more vocal ones were not afraid to let me their Friends know really loudly how dorky they thought it looked.  That is particularly ironic as I recall on the old BNet a young Reform Jewish girl remarking how dorky yarmulkes looked.  At the time of the remark on BNet, I was in the habit of always wearing my black yarmulke.:D

P.S.  Yugi's good uncle (the anime series Yugi-Oh!) wears a yarmulke with a mogen dovid on it.:p
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2007 - 9:13AM #9
theprinterlady
Hi River!!!

I still owe you a phone call. Maybe after the holidays???

YOU: Do you think many people who write on forums have had bad experiences in elementary schools.  You, me, Niec, Uf,  (I'm thinking....probably more) And are we the ones who have no problem arguing with someone who obviously thinks they are better than we are because they put us down with their nasty posts in a sugary coated, respectful manner?

ME: Well, I've come to believe that no experience in life is wasted. I grew up as a misfit (it sounds like Niec and I could have been twins in school, except I'm not gay, I was just "boy crazy").... but I think that being a "misfit" can make you a stronger person because you're used to swimming against the tide. I have three daughters. My oldest daughter is like me - a bit socially backward. (People don't think I'm socially backward generally, but there's something about me and my daughter wherein we just stand out in a crowd). ANYWAY, she's never fit in all that well. She tends to make few - but deep - friendships (like me). And the thing is... she's not afraid to be different. She will stand up to people for what she thinks, and she does it in a way that is usually nice, but to the point. My middle daughter is much more socially adaptable. Being in fashion is extremely important to her (neither myself or my older daughter could care less). She feels a much greater need to "fit in". My conversion has upset her because she doesn't want to be "different" than her Christian friends... even though many of them are just Christian in name (by default) rather than religious conviction. She finds it HARDER to stand up to peer pressure, although I will say she has a streak of iron will that allows her to - so far - on all the "important" points. My third daughter is kind of a combo of kid 1 and 2 - she's popular, but still feels like a misfit. She's not as driven to conform as #2, but not quite as independent as #3. But I think her view of herself as a "misfit" also allows her to have a "so what" attitude about people who don't accept her for this or that.

I have a really good friend who was "Mr. Popular" in school. You know, the jock, the really popular kid. I had never considered that a problem - in fact I always was a wee bit jealous - but when he went to college, he went from being the BMOC to being the small fish.... and it was REALLY hard for him. He found it hard to "swim against the tide"... although he has, very successfully, in many cases in his life. But he told me it was definately a hard thing for him to learn.

So yea, I wouldn't be too surprised to find out that many of the people who are the best at standing up for what they think were the "unpopular" ones who have had to fight all their lives for a right to be on the planet. And personally, I think it's a good thing....

But then, that's MY opinion... and I'm happy to share it!!!!!

:)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2007 - 9:13AM #10
river8101
TPL

Thanks for your opinion.  I agree with you.  Some of us did grow up in the weeds of other kids.  But, we should remember, that we were the flowers!
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook