Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Switch to Forum Live View A discussion of Malthiesm vs. Malism-From "Some Questions" at the old site.
5 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2009 - 10:22AM #41
ftlman123
"By your definition just having an opinion and expressing it, is proselytizing. Are you suggesting that we stop having different opinions and expressing them?"

"At least here you have the decency to quote the primary definition from a respectable source (Merriam-Webster). Maltheists as a group do not fit this definition (I cannot speak for individuals).

Let me illustrate the difference. People do not become Christians out of the blue. In order to become a Christian, one must understand and accept to peculiar concepts of Christianity... On the other hand, maltheism is a natural and recurrent belief without the aid of proselytizing. Some concept of God, in one form or another, has existed in just about every culture (which we believe happens because an evil spirit called God keeps resurrecting the idea in the weak-minded in order to garner worship)."

These are not "my" definitions. They are not all of proselytize, but also of defining words of proselytize. No I am not suggesting you stop having different opinions, I am suggesting that you keep less hypocritical opinions. You can accomplish that however you like. Or you can continue to be the way you are (at times). I don't know about where you live but where I am we don't get so many people coming up to the door to spread their word, that I feel compelled to use the word proselytize as a negative the way most of the malists and maltheists do. And so I bring up the fact that Malists, and Maltheists (to a lesser degree) also act "to lead or move by persuasion or influence, as to some action or state of mind:"
"To induce to undertake a course of action or embrace a point of view by means of argument, reasoning, or entreaty" Is it really that bad that you do hope, according to Malist writing, that people change and adopt your views? And if it is not, is it bad that others would work to change peoples ideas?

I wonder why you want to comment on a personal attribute such as Decency, David.

No one becomes anything out of the blue, even if someone becomes something really fast, it is not  out of nowhere. There is no other hand, Religion is a natural and recurrent belief without the aid of people telling others what to do. It comes about by experiencing life and dealing with the fact that you don't know everything, and you can't control everything. We have a tendency to view other people that don't agree with us as weak-minded. We shouldn't do that. They probably are not weak-minded.

"By your definition of violence, anyone who holds an opinion or belief different than yours and actually dares to express it, is doing violence to you."

No, you are incorrect, by my definition, which is not "mine" anyone that holds an opinion or belief that they should do whatever they can to kill God, is doing violence to me and anyone else that believes that God should not be attacked in an effort kill him. A lot of Malists and Maltheists behavior in regards to God and his worshipers fits five out of the six definitions of violence in the first example given in dictionary.com.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2009 - 2:22AM #42
whichone
Keep less hypocritical opinions........ Is this addressed to me, mohancous or all maltheists?  It is a little confusing because your post seems to be a reply to a mix of posts.  I don't know why, but this exchange reminds me of George Orwell's book Animal Farm, especially where the sheep learn to say "Four legs good, two legs bad."  Maybe, I am tired from all the moving.  I guess we just disagree.  I will continue to be a maltheists.  I don't wish violence to anyone.  If God stopped tormenting me, I wouldn't even wish violence to him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook