Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
7 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2007 - 4:52PM #1
Nay_ho_tze
Hostie Note:

Many apologies, friends -
due to an inadvertant technical error, I've had to reconstruct this thread -
hence upon first glance it may look as it all the posts are from yours truly -
but look more closely and you'll see that they are not.

In reproducing each post, I have identified the original poster including the requisite link to the profile of  each poster.

Again, my apologies...
...still learning the new technology of the updated site.
*sighs*

As always, thanks for your patience...

NHT
R&PL
host
Nay_ho_tze
Beliefnet host
designer and artist
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2007 - 4:54PM #2
Nay_ho_tze
Personally, I tend to wince when reincarnation is referred to as a belief.
Discernment reveals that reincarnation is more of a phenomena,
unrooted both geographically as well as culturally,
as varied as the human experience because the phenomenon of reincarnation is in the remembering itself.
The only commonality from person to person is that reincarnation says human beings live more than one lifetime.

IMHO, that’s why words like dogma and discipline
do not apply to reincarnation.
Reincarnation is not a belief, or a practice or even a discipline.
It’s a phenomenon that touches each individual where they live,
or not at all…
It’s that simple.
So would it be wrong to say,
when people “believe” in reincarnation,
that what they’re really saying is that,
for them and for whatever reason,
reincarnation is a given?

...just wondering out loud.

NHT
R&PL
host
Nay_ho_tze
Beliefnet host
designer and artist
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2007 - 4:56PM #3
Nay_ho_tze
MikeInColorado replies:

Any time spiritual subjects are discussed, it seems that the word "belief" must be used. I would agree with you that "phenomena" is a more accurate word. It (reincarnation) may not be understood, but it is observable.

In my view, spiritual deals with things non-physical. I think part of the confusion lies in the idea that belief has to do with thought. I can determine very simply what people believe, just by observing behavior. So in my view, belief is less a matter of thought than action. Of course, not many share my view.

Taking that just a little further, it occurrs to me that all of us believe in reincarnation, since we all reincarnate :-). We may not mentally agree with the idea, but our actions show our true belief.

Now that prompts a question from me. Do we get the option of NOT reincarnating?

Mike
Nay_ho_tze
Beliefnet host
designer and artist
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2007 - 4:58PM #4
Nay_ho_tze
masmenosdios replies:

mikeincolorado,

the old adage is true. i think therefore i am

thus by the fruits/action you can observe who/what they are because some will claim to be this or that and their actions betray them.

beware the man whose belly doesn't shake when he laughs.
Nay_ho_tze
Beliefnet host
designer and artist
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2007 - 5:00PM #5
Nay_ho_tze
[FONT=Arial][FONT='Century Gothic']MikeInColorado replies:[/FONT][/FONT]

Quote:
Originally Posted by masmenosdios -
beware the man whose belly doesn't shake when he laughs.

Never trust a skinny chef. :-)
Nay_ho_tze
Beliefnet host
designer and artist
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2007 - 5:05PM #6
Nay_ho_tze
Jm8 replies:

'Do we get the option of NOT reincarnating?'

Good question. Since there are many variations of explanations, it depends whom you consider an authority to accept answer from. As far as I'm aware, the most comprehensive explanations are given in Vedic tradition, in scriptures like Bhagavad gita, Upanisads and Puranas. Here is an overview: http://www.veda.harekrsna.cz/encyclo...ncarnation.htm

Short answer: Yes. We can act in a way which enables burning of past karma and stops creating new karma. Thus there will be no need to reincarnate.

Hope this helps. Hare Krishna

"This Krishna Consciousness is a science to understand what is the difference between a dead body and a living body". (A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada)

Your servant, bh. Jan

http://www.vrindavan-dham.com
http://www.veda.harekrsna.cz
Nay_ho_tze
Beliefnet host
designer and artist
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2007 - 5:06PM #7
Nay_ho_tze
Hello JM8:

Forgive my delay in seeing your insightful post. I host several Beliefnet forums and have been having the time of it trying to acclimate to the new system. Unfortunately, I've been inadvertantly missing some posts here and there and I'm ashamed to say, yours was one of them.

I'd like to welcome you to the Past Lives and Reincarnation Discussion forum.
I hope we'll see more of you ...

NHT
PL&R
host
Nay_ho_tze
Beliefnet host
designer and artist
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2007 - 5:07PM #8
Nay_ho_tze
DotNotInOz replies:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jm8
'Do we get the option of NOT reincarnating?' ...
Short answer: Yes. We can act in a way which enables burning of past karma and stops creating new karma. Thus there will be no need to reincarnate.

Indeed.

The reading I've done suggests that those who choose to live in a severely disabled body may not only be assisting the parents of that child in accomplishing a significant spiritual lesson but may also have chosen to accelerate the process of burning karma and either significantly reducing or eliminating the creation of new karma.

Easy to understand how it could be a challenge to incur much of any karma with a very limited intellect and not much ability to manipulate one's body, I would say. Being limited to such a great extent would also enable, IMO, a more profound focus upon spiritual concerns rather than having as much potential of yielding to distractions as do the rest of us.
designer and artist
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2007 - 5:08PM #9
Nay_ho_tze
[COLOR=black]Jm8 replies:[/COLOR]

DotNotInOz,

from the Vedic point of view it's not spiritual but dharmic lesson. Real spirituality is called para dharma, or higher dharma, in Sanskrit. (As you may know, as Sanskrit language is one of the most advanced languages, Vedic scriptures give the most advanced knowledge of material and spiritual reality, imho.)

Even living in a disabled body one incurs some karma, both positive and negative (e.g. by eating meat) unless one lives spiritually. If that situation is used as a benefit for spiritual activitity or not depends on one's spiritual level.

Hope this helps. Hare Krishna

"This Krishna Consciousness is a science to understand what is the difference between a dead body and a living body". (A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada)

Your servant, bh. Jan

http://www.vrindavan-dham.com
http://www.veda.harekrsna.cz
Nay_ho_tze
Beliefnet host
designer and artist
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2007 - 5:11PM #10
Nay_ho_tze
FantasiaSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeincolorado  Do we get the option of NOT reincarnating?

Mike

Along those lines, I had an interesting conversation with a fundamentalist Christian woman many years ago. She insisted that she didn't "believe" in reincarnation, and she was looking forward to being freed from this sinful earthly realm. Why, she asked, would anyone WANT to be reincarnated, anyway?

I said, "Well, we know God is a loving God who gives us all free will, right? So, suppose you're there, up in Heaven where everything is beautiful and joyful... and you look down at the earth to see the loved ones you left behind... and they're having some trouble that you know you could help them through if you came back down to earth to be with them. Would you want to just stay where you were, enjoying yourself, and leaving them to struggle on their own? Or would you ask God to let you come back, so you could help them into Heaven, too?"

She blinked and said, "Well, when you put it that way..."

Free will is the key. It is the gift God has given us all, whether we are in the body or in the spirit. So, yes, of course you may choose not to re-incarnate... but you won't choose that until you, and all whom you love, are really ready for that choice.

Love and hugs and kisses to everyone,

Claudia
Nay_ho_tze
Beliefnet host
designer and artist
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook