Page 1 of 11  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next
Switch to Forum Live View A Coming Home Story
7 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2007 - 6:09AM #1
river8101

Adelphe wrote:

....an Orthodox rabbi talking about rebuilding the Temple, and fashioning the vessels and sewing the special garments....

After all, that is what it's all about, isn't it.

Only to the very Orthodox, mainly Orthodox Israelis.  For most Jews, the idea of a third Temple cannot happen, nor are they interested in it.     For one thing it would mean a big war with the Muslims  which would likely destroy Jerusalem.  And for another the Muslims have already built their Mosque on the Temple grounds.

Christians built many famous churches on what were former pagan sacred grounds or turned the pagan temples into Christian churches.    I guess it was easier than building a whole new church, or maybe it was to blot out the former religion.   

Btw, I dont know much about fashioning vessels and sewing garments.   

BUT!  I got my catalog!.   So, I don't have to sew my own garments!   Finally.

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2007 - 11:31AM #2
itsacrucifiction
""...As a kid, I was given a very strict Christian upbringing, though non-denominational.  But I was always a little different, I always felt a pull towards Judaism.  For instance, I would always look forward to Easter - not because of the eggs and the rabbits, but because that was when they would always show the Ten Commandments on television.  And when we would pass by the synagogue, I would be drawn to the huge Tablets [of the Law] I saw hanging outside. But I struggled as to how to fit Jesus in there. 

"When I would read the Bible, I would ask my father questions. One time, I showed him that it says, right in the beginning of the Bible, that it's the 7th day of the week that was sanctified, and not Sunday.  I asked him, 'Why don't we do that?' And he said, 'Really you're right, but this is just the way we do things now.'  So when I got older and married and had a family of my own, I decided that's not the way I do things now; I want to do things the way they did things then. I wanted to do it more the Biblical way - and that's how I was led to Messianic Judaism... In general, many real Bible-believers have questions about things, such as why we put up this tree every year... "

[COLOR="Blue"]Click Here for the Rest of the Story[/COLOR]
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2007 - 11:43AM #3
river8101
Why shouldn't you put up a tree?  You're still a Christian, (a believer in the divinity of Jesus Christ) or you would have converted to Judaism.   I guess for Christians who have an interest in Judaism, MJ feels like a compromise.   Thank you for the story.

I should add however, that since you are not a born Jew, and since you worship Jesus, you should refer to yourself as a Messianic, not a Messianic Jew.  You are not a Jew.
“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2007 - 2:04PM #4
itsacrucifiction
[QUOTE=river8101;40217]
I should add however, that since you are not a born Jew, and since you worship Jesus, you should refer to yourself as a Messianic, not a Messianic Jew.  You are not a Jew.[/QUOTE]

This isn't my story. I am atheist, not Jewish. This guy tells the story of how he was raised Christian, turned Messianic, then returned to Judaism. Here's a quote from later in the story:

"Another of the reasons I came to Judaism is that I once went into a Christian bookstore and saw a video by Rabbi Chaim Richman called Treasures of the Temple.  I took it home and watched it and I couldn't believe what I saw: an Orthodox rabbi talking about rebuilding the Temple, and fashioning the vessels and sewing the special garments. I had no idea that Jews still believed in this stuff!  I said to myself, This is it!  This is what I'm after - the real thing!  And now as well, I continue to try to promote undiluted, real Judaism."
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2007 - 6:51PM #5
river8101
I apologize about the misunderstanding about the person who wrote the post.   My bad.   I'm glad this person returned to Judaism.   Thank you for writing.

Btw, I agree with much of Hitchens book on religion.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2007 - 8:35PM #6
theprinterlady
THE STORY SAYS:
"Now when I talk about their missionary activity, you have to understand how it works. It's not overt or active; rather they will conduct Passover seders - and I've conducted many of them - and they're really designed, without telling you, to teach Gentiles how to find allusions in the Passover rituals to Jesus. Because Passover, of all holidays, is the most familiar to Jews, even if they're not religious; they're fairly familiar with Passover and its rituals.  So these Baptists and others have these seders and then they go back to work and talk to their Jewish friends and say, 'Hey, you know I heard this really fascinating thing last night - there are three matzas on Passover, symbolizing the trinity, and the middle one is broken, just like Jesus was broken for our sins - and these Jews who don't know so much about their religion are taken in by these things... So it's very subtle, not knocking door to door or going to shuls [synagogues] and starting trouble. The real work is done not by active missionaries, but by normal, Gentile Christians.

ME

And this hits directly where my split with Messianic Judaism lies. It's in the practice of re-inventing & re-explaining Judaism's symbols with the underlying message that these interpretations are "Jewish", have always existed, and thus underscroe how stupid Jews are for "missing the signs".

Computer typing slow (form seems weird today) so I'll sign off.
:eek:
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2007 - 8:44PM #7
itsacrucifiction
[QUOTE=river8101;41233]I apologize about the misunderstanding about the person who wrote the post.  [/QUOTE]

To be fair, it does appear the guy is Christian in the early paragraphs of the article.

[QUOTE=river8101;41233]
I'm glad this person returned to Judaism.[/QUOTE]

I am too. Do you agree I posted this article in the correct forum? I certainly think so.

[QUOTE=river8101;41233]
Thank you for writing.[/QUOTE]

You are welcome! I found his story very interesting, even though I am not religious. I wanted to share it with others, but in THIS forum!

[QUOTE=river8101;41233]
Btw, I agree with much of Hitchens book on religion.[/QUOTE]

Do you know I haven't read his book? This sig only exists to avoid arguments regarding the existence of God. I ask for evidence and tell them if they have none to read my sig. There's only a couple of forums where that's necessary and I bet you could figure out which forums they are!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2007 - 8:45PM #8
itsacrucifiction
[QUOTE=theprinterlady;41420]
And this hits directly where my split with Messianic Judaism lies. It's in the practice of re-inventing & re-explaining Judaism's symbols with the underlying message that these interpretations are "Jewish", have always existed, and thus underscroe how stupid Jews are for "missing the signs". [/QUOTE]

I find it dishonest as well.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2007 - 9:31PM #9
Adelphe
....an Orthodox rabbi talking about rebuilding the Temple, and fashioning the vessels and sewing the special garments....

After all, that is what it's all about, isn't it.
Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason, my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not retract anything, for to go against conscience would be neither right nor safe.  Here I stand.  I can do no other.  God help me.  Amen.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2007 - 6:51PM #10
river8101
I apologize about the misunderstanding about the person who wrote the post.   My bad.   I'm glad this person returned to Judaism.   Thank you for writing.

Btw, I agree with much of Hitchens book on religion.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 11  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook