Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
7 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2007 - 2:53PM #1
Beliefnetsabee
Do you think it's possible that the many Gods and Goddesses referenced in Egyptian mythology were not individual beings but rather different manifestations of one Creator?
I always remember that for every word typed there is a real person sitting behind the keyboard.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2007 - 2:53PM #2
Beliefnetsabee
Do you think it's possible that the many Gods and Goddesses referenced in Egyptian mythology were not individual beings but rather different manifestations of one Creator?
I always remember that for every word typed there is a real person sitting behind the keyboard.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2007 - 5:30PM #3
theophilus1985
That is difficult to say. Ancient Near Eastern religions tended to be very fluid, even in conservative Egypt. For example, Seth was an evil god who murdered osiris, tried to usurp his throne and lived in opposition to Horus. in this role he is an agent of chaos. however, elsewhere, he is depicted as being a beneficent deity, defending the pantheon against the forces of chaos. it is possible your idea was present in ancient Egypt. Amun and Osiris were often desribed as being one.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 17, 2007 - 10:52PM #4
ceveazey
Hi Theophilus,

Do you have an explanation for why today's Christianity does not use divining tools?  My thinking is that since Moses came from Egypt (where divining was extensively used), and since Moses is one of the Patriarchs, he most certainly used divining tools.  Rod and staff are divining tools, paraclete is a divining tool.

When Moses and Aaron challenged the Pharoah, they cast their staff which devoured the Pharoah's staff.  The mistranslation is that these staffs turned into serpents; this did not happen.  Staffs were divining tools and it was written that Aaron's ability to divine was greater than the Pharoah's; hence the Pharoah's divining was devoured.  This is the correct meaning behind the biblical story.

So, why do you think the use of divining tools has been spoken against by today's religions, when it was so much part of the religions of the past?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 19, 2007 - 8:03PM #5
Bunsinspace

ceveazey wrote:

...When Moses and Aaron challenged the Pharoah, they cast their staff which devoured the Pharoah's staff. The mistranslation is that these staffs turned into serpents; this did not happen. Staffs were divining tools and it was written that Aaron's ability to divine was greater than the Pharoah's; hence the Pharoah's divining was devoured. This is the correct meaning behind the biblical story...

BS"D

Wow, you're the first non-Jew I've ever heard to dare profess this notion in public.  Kudos!

BTW, most Christians I have known DO constantly make use of divination tools.  The Christian terminology for using the Bible explicitly as a divination tool is called "lucky dipping" and is a common "inside joke" among "Charismatics" and other popular mega-church groups. Also, if you hadn't noticed, the ENTIRETY of Protestant Christianity relies solely upon the sermonizing of its Pastors, Reverends and Preachers as a direct divination tool - unknown to the church-goer until it actually is presented and the meaning is intended as a divine revelation.  Finally, "spirit-filled" Christians rely almost exclusively on the personal divination of oraculism in the form of glossolalia in their worship services.;)

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 19, 2007 - 8:46PM #6
ceveazey
[QUOTE=bunsinspace;151774]BS"D

Wow, you're the first non-Jew I've ever heard to dare profess this notion in public.  Kudos!

BTW, most Christians I have known DO constantly make use of divination tools.  The Christian terminology for using the Bible explicitly as a divination tool is called "lucky dipping" and is a common "inside joke" among "Charismatics" and other popular mega-church groups. Also, if you hadn't noticed, the ENTIRETY of Protestant Christianity relies solely upon the sermonizing of its Pastors, Reverends and Preachers as a direct divination tool - unknown to the church-goer until it actually is presented and the meaning is intended as a divine revelation.  Finally, "spirit-filled" Christians rely almost exclusively on the personal divination of oraculism in the form of glossolalia in their worship services.;)[/QUOTE]

Hi Bunsinspace,

Glad to meet you.  I first learned on a pendulum.  Then my index and middle finger started popping up involuntarily when I asked a question.   Index finger was for 'no' and middle finger was for 'yes'.  I use it frequently.  I even used it last night, like when right before I was about to let the dogs out in the back yard, I asked if there was a mountain lion close within 500 ft. of my back yard.  See, there's this mountain lion that hangs out in the neighbor's yard, just in case he can nab one of my dogs when I let them out for a pee.  Since I got a 'yes' answer, they didn't get to go out just then.  I waited until the mountain moved farther than 1/4 mile from my house.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 20, 2007 - 4:56PM #7
Bunsinspace

ceveazey wrote:

Hi Bunsinspace,

Glad to meet you. I first learned on a pendulum. Then my index and middle finger started popping up involuntarily when I asked a question. Index finger was for 'no' and middle finger was for 'yes'. I use it frequently. I even used it last night, like when right before I was about to let the dogs out in the back yard, I asked if there was a mountain lion close within 500 ft. of my back yard. See, there's this mountain lion that hangs out in the neighbor's yard, just in case he can nab one of my dogs when I let them out for a pee. Since I got a 'yes' answer, they didn't get to go out just then. I waited until the mountain moved farther than 1/4 mile from my house.

BS"D

Very practical use of such a gift IMHO.  I, OTOH, have tried just about every oracle under the Sun and not one of them works for me.  My ancestors would not be proud.  Such is life.;)

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 21, 2007 - 12:01AM #8
itsacrucifiction
[QUOTE=BeliefnetSabee;36225]Do you think it's possible that the many Gods and Goddesses referenced in Egyptian mythology were not individual beings but rather different manifestations of one Creator? [/QUOTE]

There is a book about this precise idea titled [COLOR="DarkRed"]Conceptions of God in Ancient Egypt: The One and the Many by Erik Hornung[/COLOR].
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 21, 2007 - 12:15AM #9
itsacrucifiction
[QUOTE=theophilus1985;46773]
For example, Seth was an evil god who murdered osiris, tried to usurp his throne and lived in opposition to Horus. in this role he is an agent of chaos. however, elsewhere, he is depicted as being a beneficent deity, defending the pantheon against the forces of chaos.
[/QUOTE]

The Egyptian civilization lasted for thousands of years. Given such a long time period, the ideas, assumed duties, etc of gods & goddesses could change over time.

Originally, Set was not an evil god. You really couldn't say he was an evil god later. In the early days, he was a god of the desert, a god of storms and most importantly, the god of foreigners, which eventually led to his 'downfall' in public opinion. Numerous pharoahs were named after him (Seti I, etc) in those days.

It was later political turmoil which led to Set being positioned as 'evil,' although certainly not in the sense of the Christian Satan. The Hyksos took Set as their main god. After the Egyptians drove the Hyksos out, Set then became 'demonized' in Egyptian society. Politically, the followers of Horus gained more power than the followers of Set, which then became reflected in the myths.

Regardless, he was still a god and his functions were still considered important for creation. He was the slayer of Apep, defending the sun god Ra during the night, from this evil water serpent, and was the ONLY god who could do this job. So, maybe he ended up not having the best character, but he did still have his duties.

[QUOTE=theophilus1985;46773]
it is possible your idea was present in ancient Egypt. Amun and Osiris were often desribed as being one.[/QUOTE]

Many gods morphed & joined over time or became more important to society or less important, etc,
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 21, 2007 - 7:11PM #10
gavrie
[QUOTE=bunsinspace;153892]BS"D

Very practical use of such a gift IMHO.  I, OTOH, have tried just about every oracle under the Sun and not one of them works for me.  My ancestors would not be proud.  Such is life.;)[/QUOTE]

Buns, I shall attempt to teach you Lenormand when I'm in America. And if it doesn't work, you can always use the deck to play Euchre. My dentist is into divination, and we and a Russian lady were doing that for a while yesterday at his office (took a real memory stretch to remember the Euchre rules, but our Russian companion fortunately had a better memory than either of us did!)

You don't wanna know what I do with tarot - but that has very little to do with divination, albeit everyone thinks the aces array is 'magic'.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook