Page 4 of 17  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Ask an Apologist: Fr. Serpa, am I maybe just crazy?
6 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2007 - 11:54AM #31
PomegranateStaindGrn
Here is another story of fear mongering, scape goating, and all around anti-tolerance for other religions. 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca … b01_layout
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2007 - 12:34PM #32
Feinics
thats kind of lousy isnt it!

I must say from being on these boards and other sites hearing peoples stories I have really learned to appreciate my upbringing. My parents are catholic and I was brought up that way but it was never enforced in a fundementalist fashion.  My parents wanted me to chose my own beliefs so I wasnt baptised till I was four when my brother was born so I could have some belief  structure but still to decide for myself when I was older. We were sent to a multi domination primary school where I was  mixed in with other cultures, religions and the extreme ends of social classes. My religion class was an hour a week and not drilled into me and I remember sitting in class as my teacher explained his bahai faith to us thinking this makes waaay more sense my religion. Even when my mother took us to the holy well she explained how it used to be a place honouring celtic gods and that made it more of a spiritual place. Though Ive never just come out and told her my beliefs she seems to know and half jokingly refers to me as a witch. Her catholic beliefs mixed with her more "pagan" leanings and open open attittude towards others beliefs have done me in good stead in becoming pagan so I have never felt the fear of  stepping away from christianity in case "satan" is entrapping me or had to worry about the locals lynching me. I see how it was easier for me then others and I have massive respect for anyone who has been true to themselves when others are less then tolerant about their choices.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2007 - 12:49PM #33
Al_Jaeger
Pomegranate wrote: "Another question I have - if one professes to believe that these things are so wrong for them, why would they still be so drawn to them? "

My reply:
Fear. Guilt. Shame. These all stop one from leaving your church or religion.  Some thoughts that go through one's mind is: "What if I am wrong and go to hell"?!

These are all manifistations of the mind, not the heart. We have been trained to use our mind in our culture. 'Our emotions and heart are not to be trusted,' they say.
It took a lot to for me to change my perspective.  Heck, if the Goddess is calling, go to Her!!! If it is Brigid, Go to Her!
If anyone is confused to the right path, just ask yourself where you will feel Love and be Loved.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2007 - 1:14PM #34
Al_Jaeger
Feinics,
I am so glad you had this upbringing. I can see that in your writting. You are very tolerant and open to other ideas. That is what makes this website so cool. The people are great. 
It is incumbant upon me to raise my son the right way and try my best to steer him towards tolerance, understanding and compassion.  Good luck on that, right?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2007 - 1:37PM #35
PomegranateStaindGrn

Al_Jaeger wrote:

Pomegranate wrote: "Another question I have - if one professes to believe that these things are so wrong for them, why would they still be so drawn to them? "

My reply:
Fear. Guilt. Shame. These all stop one from leaving your church or religion. Some thoughts that go through one's mind is: "What if I am wrong and go to hell"?!

Al,
I understand what you're saying, however, her obvious draw/pull/calling according to what she said in her post is back to Brigid.  So she is defying her own soul and that is where my confusion comes in.  No wonder she is so sad.  She isn't feeling drawn toward Christianity - she is trying to use Christianity to fill a void and it's not working, but thanks to charming folks like Fr. Serpa (ironically that's probably a variation of serpent! LOL) she has been scared out of trusting herself.  At any rate I do hope that she decides to decide for herself and go whichever way nurtures her most.  I would also like to shake these images and feelings of the hollowness she's subjecting herself to for something that is offering her so little in return. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2007 - 3:35PM #36
Feinics
I dont envy yer task Al! im sure you'll do an excellent job teaching him! though ultimately people have to make their own decisions in life I guess.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2007 - 4:45PM #37
Al_Jaeger
[QUOTE=Feinics;38520]I dont envy yer task Al! im sure you'll do an excellent job teaching him! though ultimately people have to make their own decisions in life I guess.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that the truth!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 2:44AM #38
Creedofcrusades
[QUOTE=Al_Jaeger;38224]Feinics,
I am so glad you had this upbringing. I can see that in your writting. You are very tolerant and open to other ideas. That is what makes this website so cool. The people are great. 
It is incumbant upon me to raise my son the right way and try my best to steer him towards tolerance, understanding and compassion.  Good luck on that, right?[/QUOTE]

You should steer him towards the truth wouldnt you say?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 2:53AM #39
Creedofcrusades
[QUOTE=White-Dove;32554]Hi, here is a question about Paganism to Father Serpa, Catholic Answers Apologist:

[COLOR="Blue"]Click here to read the lengthy question and the priest's answer[/COLOR]

He seems to think Paganism is evil.[/QUOTE]

You sound surprised at this white-dove. But it has always been Christian teaching that the myriad of gods the pagans created to worship simply do not exist. This poor woman may or may not be suffering some form of mental illness..but she isnt hearing a god or goddess knocking. The worship the pagans used to offer to their gods was actually worship offered to demons indirectly. So I dont doubt there is some evil lurking there. But certainly no goddess.
   Neo paganism today is a reaction/rebellion against Christianity and God and usually will even define itself that way. The result is self worship which is always evil.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 1:24PM #40
Sacrificialgoddess
[COLOR="Black"]*scoffs*

Creed?  This is what you wanted me over here for?  Come on!  Make it worth my while![/COLOR]
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 17  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook