Page 1 of 17  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Ask an Apologist: Fr. Serpa, am I maybe just crazy?
7 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2007 - 10:37AM #1
Al_Jaeger
Javababe,
I agree. We both came from strict upbringings and have left. We are both remote and solitary practitioners of our religion. It is a challange to grow when there are no teachers other than books, websites and your own intuition. Some are up for this challange and others are not. As a Catholic, I was more than happy to be told what to do and when to do it. I didn't have to think too much about God. All I needed to do was follow the rules and I went to heaven. I was and millions of others are more than OK with this. Some people just want to be lead. Others want to go though Gnosis (I know that is not a Pagan term)and realise that  meeting the Goddess/God is personal. Jesus stated that this realtionship is personal. It was the Apostolic church that twisted Christ's teachings and made us sheep. It was only until Martin Luther did the idea of a personal relationship come about. As a Pagan, I break away from all this and practice a personal, Gnostic relationship with Goddess/God and Nature.
Javababe, you are so right that she needs to look into her heart and soul, not her mind.  She needs to stop thinking and listen to her heart. If Bridid calls, go to her.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 8:57AM #2
White-Dove
Hi, here is a question about Paganism to Father Serpa, Catholic Answers Apologist:

[COLOR="Blue"]Click here to read the lengthy question and the priest's answer[/COLOR]

He seems to think Paganism is evil.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 9:13AM #3
Feinics
that poor women seems quite confused! I really dont know where to start to comment on that piece...
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 9:37AM #4
Al_Jaeger
[QUOTE=Feinics;32574]that poor women seems quite confused! I really dont know where to start to comment on that piece...[/QUOTE]

Yes, she is confused. What is so sad is the priests answer. The priest is scaring the woman half to death.
It is tough too when you were born Catholic and turned away from it. The guilt they throw at you is incredible. I, like the woman, had had feelings of Christ calling me back as she had of Brigid.
What it had been was my own guilt and fear that was crerated by 20 years of Catholic, apostolic teaching.
No more! There have beeen good people on this site that have helped me. We all don't see eye to eye at times but there is respect.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 9:47AM #5
Sacrificialgoddess
No, No.  We are Evil!   [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Impact"]EVIL!!!  [/FONT][/COLOR]

Haven't you figured that out yet?   :p
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 9:48AM #6
Feinics
With any change in life or even within yerself guilt can be a hard thing to overcome, if you've given years of yer life and energy in believing something or being a certain way  its difficult to change there can be a sense your betraying a part of yerself but if you know your on the right path this passes.  I wish the women had turned inwards to find her answers and come to terms with what she believed herself,  I feel she took  the easy way out because I got the sense that she looked to the priest for  quick validation and not just comfort.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 10:53AM #7
Dromahair
Poor thing.

Whatever prompted her decision to convert, she was obviously "sold a bill of goods."

Maybe she IS hearing Brighid calling her back.
She's miserable in her current state.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 11:06AM #8
Feinics
Since a lot of pagans come from a christian or other faith background they'd understand to a cetain degree, her need to reconcile herself. What advice would you give as pagans if she had to come to one of us here?
tho it be probably be interesting to ask that to any pagans here that have "clergy" like roles in their community?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 11:46AM #9
Al_Jaeger
[QUOTE=sacrificialgoddess;32646]No, No.  We are Evil!   [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Impact"]EVIL!!!  [/FONT][/COLOR]

Haven't you figured that out yet?   :p[/QUOTE]

Ah HAAA! Got you! You admit it!! LOL
You are the best SG!

Evil is frightening people into believing in satan and ever lasting damnation.
I agree, Feinics. Wonder why she flipped. You also ask a good question.  My response will all be why one should NOT be a Catholic rather than why be a Pagan. 
The woman needs to look into her heart. Honesty in your intellectual and spiritual senses is important. She obviously knew Brigid and knows she is called back. Let your heart lead you back. I would ask her, wher e did she find more love and peace? In the Goddess Brigid or in a faith that throws Satan, guilt and fear at you? Hmm, let me choose....
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 11:53AM #10
Sacrificialgoddess
I worry about any faith that demonizes all other religions.
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 17  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook