Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Christianity is not a Religion to Me
7 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2007 - 7:23AM #1
J.A.B.2007
Christianity is not a religion to me. Therefore, I have scored low on the are you a believer or a atheist? I scored a 37, but that was because the questions were almost like equating God with organized religion which I choose not to do. If I were able I would be mostly on the streets helping people again like I was in the past through a church.

I enjoy the more "roll up your sleeves" kind of Christianity where we are doing our faith versus trying to always tell others about it. On the other hand, if someone speaks out against God, I will definately speak my mind and say why I believe in him. I will also speak out why I believe any other issues are wrong as well.

I don't try to "preach" per se. However, since I have some sin in my life that I need to dispose of.  However, I do not try to justify any sinful behavior. I recognize it in myself for what it is and work to get rid of it ( not always easy of course, but I am willing most of the time).
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2007 - 11:41AM #2
Gennykaye
Ditto JAB !!!

Why must being a follower of Christ equate "organized religion". I understand the part about "not forsaking assembling together" , but I have been so turned off with the "politics" of church.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2007 - 5:52PM #3
theophilus1985
forgive i have trouble understanding the phrase "organized religion" and why it is fashionable to denigrate it. what is the alternative? disorganized religion?  At the Exodus, God did not release from slavery individual Israelites, but the people of Israel. the Torah was given so that they may arrange and govern themselves as a people.  Why else were they given the three pilgrimage festivals of Passover, Shavuot and Sukkot in which every Israelite male was required to appear before God at the Tabernacle (the tent of meeting) and later the Temple? Christ may have abolished the necessity of the Temple, but he did not establish a solitary religion either. He established the Church. God wants a community of followers, not just followers. the current fad o denigrating organized religion is probably based more off of american individualism than spiritual insight.  one single human being cannot close to the truth, or effectiveness in ministry alone. 

however, it is understandable if you are dissappointed with churches (as opposed to the Church) they are made up of fallen (albeit forgiven human beings). thankfully there are many different forms of church polity. if you do not appreciate the hierarchies of the Orthodox, Catholic and Episcopalean churches, then you might prefer a more congregationalist setting (i.e. congregationalists, baptists, etc.) or you may prefer a Quaker church.  or you may even choose you form your own bible study with like minded individuals and worship with them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 19, 2007 - 9:10PM #4
TomAnderson
[QUOTE=J.A.B.2007;39875]I don't try to "preach" per se. However, since I have some sin in my life that I need to dispose of.  [/QUOTE]
Yes, but so do we all. And so did all of the apostles. Sin in itself is not a disqualification from preaching, else the only valid preacher that ever was would be Jesus Himself. Thus, the Bible wouldn't even exist (since even the gospels were written by sinful human followers of Jesus, and we know of no writing whatsoever that jesus did Himself - except for that doodling in the sand He did once).
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 27, 2007 - 2:42AM #5
Somethingist
"one single human being cannot close to the truth"
It depends on what kind of truth you are talking about. The text I believe in is irrefutable truth. The truth of ethical choices is another matter.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2008 - 12:36PM #6
Elijah
It would be nice if it worked to Just roll up your sleeves, (but) think of the millions of people that believe as you do. The salvation army, those feeding the poor, Etc. I found out to be born again is physical. Feeding the poor, going to a divinity school, Preaching, etc.. all comes after St Matthew 6;33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God (receiving the Holy Ghost after being born again) and his righteousness: and all these things shall be added unto you. If physically you don't receive any thing all your works are in vain. (Elijah's journal)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2008 - 8:56AM #7
QED
"If physically you don't receive any thing all your works are in vain."

What do you mean by this exactly?  It kind of sounds like one should expect something in the mail.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2008 - 7:38PM #8
voice-crying
Being a Christian is being a follower of Christ Jesus; it is not a religion; but, when you are saved and sealed, you will spread the good news that Jesus is the Son of God, and that Salvation is for those who accept Him; that is what we are commissioned to do (speak the Word). 
And yes, we will do good works.
"Death and life [are] in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof."Proverbs 18:21
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2008 - 3:30PM #9
Elijah
Ezekiel 36;26 A new heart also will I give you, (the heart your born with is removed and replaced) and a new spirit will I put within you: (thirty days later I received the Holy Ghost) St John 16;7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. You should read Elijah's journal.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2008 - 4:31PM #10
voice-crying
[QUOTE=Elijah;201001]Ezekiel 36;26 A new heart also will I give you, (the heart your born with is removed and replaced) and a new spirit will I put within you: (thirty days later I received the Holy Ghost) St John 16;7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. You should read Elijah's journal.[/QUOTE]

Hi Elijah,
What are you trying to tell us?
Who received the "Holy Ghost" thirty days later?

God Bless!
"Death and life [are] in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof."Proverbs 18:21
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook