Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
10 years ago  ::  Jan 01, 2008 - 11:40AM #31
Norm_uk
[QUOTE=ceveazey;121274]My Irish ancestor, Robert de Vassy, fought and conquered Charlemagne at the Battle of Hastings, England, in 1066.  .[/QUOTE]

Rober de Vassy (very Irish sounding!) fought and conquered Charlemagne in 1066 at the Battle of Hastings where Duke William of Normany defeated Harold and his Anglo-Saxons?....

That's quite a feat considering Charlemagne died in January 814!!

N.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 01, 2008 - 11:51AM #32
Norm_uk
[QUOTE=ceveazey;121274]My Irish ancestor, Robert de Vassy, fought and conquered Charlemagne at the Battle of Hastings, England, in 1066.  .[/QUOTE]

Rober de Vassy (very Irish sounding!) fought and conquered Charlemagne in 1066 at the Battle of Hastings where Duke William of Normany defeated Harold and his Anglo-Saxons?....

That's quite a feat considering Charlemagne died in January 814!!

N.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 01, 2008 - 11:53AM #33
Norm_uk
Apologies for the double post!
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 01, 2008 - 2:14PM #34
John_T_Mainer
You have to love that battle.

One side of my mothers family made the mistake of comming down the hill on the second day of the battle, and their privilidge of standing with the Huscarls meant that their axes were front and center for a very great trimming of the family tree.  The amusing part is that my mothers other branch was on the other side; my fathers family having been on the wrong end of Stamford Bridge, being with the bulk of Harald Shaggyhairs forces that landed in time to find him dead, and ended up settling in Pomerania to sit out the civil wars.  One side of my mothers family flourished supplanting and oppressing the other, only to marry back into it centuries later.

Culloden was the same for my family.  My fathers mothers line, the McKay were with Bonnie Prince Charlie, while my fathers fathers line was with the Kings German Legion leading not only the fight, but the bloody ethnicide that followed.   On the one hand I can b*tch because of historic oppression, but on the other I'd have to do it quietly  as we were also the oppressors.  Kind of gives you a perspective.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2008 - 12:04PM #35
ceveazey
HI John,

I can relate to what you wrote...were you writing about my family too?  Similarly, ancestors took England, only to want to escape England, came to America, only to want to escape America.  But there's really nowhere to go on the planet, it's still happening everywhere, and in some places so much worse, so guess I'll stay in California.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jun 15, 2008 - 12:16PM #36
Diarmuid
Hahaha, okay, as a Gaelic Polytheist, proud of my Irish heritage through and through, even I know that the Gaelic Celts were not these poor innocent victims of the Norse. We fought amongst ourselves, as well as against invaders, we were a warrior culture and may even have been avid head hunters. I feel no shame and even a little pride, and no animosity towards the Norse seeing as all that happened over 1,000 years ago. Besides, we all like our alcohol...
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook