7 years ago  ::  Oct 15, 2007 - 1:03PM #1
Eliava
ishmael_10
10/14/2007 5:18 PM 

Promise this won't be as interesting as the title suggests.

I live in an apartment with two extremely liberal Christian theology students and a Buddhist psychology major. I don't know if it's because none of us have ever been exposed to such radicalism or what, but for some reason we have a tendency to linger on televangelist channels just to see what is happening. We even have a running list of the top 10 scariest televangelists, and we develop fitting little nicknames for them as we forget their names.

Anyway, I've been struck by these Christians' near obsession with the Israeli State. Not that I'm complaining-- yet. I've always been told that conservative Christians defend Israel so long as it's Christian prayers and Jewish blood-- and I have witnessed liberal Christians declare Israeli's to be genocidal terrorists. Seems we can't win--but anyway, this morning this fellow called Hagee who has written several books concerning Israel spoke of how he has organized coalitions to monetarily support Israel, and that when he goes to Israel he worships with Jews there. Apparently, he has also penned a book about Christian antisemitism.

I just want to know how serious these people are. I think it is a difficult call, but accepting money from any group of extremists may turn out just as bad as being bombed by another. I was very proud of my local Jewish community recently as they broke off a monetary coalition with evangelical churches because they found out that these churches called for the conversion of all Jews. Is this always the agenda?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 8:55PM #2
gavrie
Yeah - it's pretty spooky. A lot of the extremist Christians (and the politicians, I think) really look forward to their Armageddon. But in order for that to happen (not totally up on this, but roughly), some of us have to be converted to Christianity, and all or most of us have to be in Israel to suffer and die horribly, and a few of us have to live so we can say we were wrong when Jesus comes back. We're all supposed to be blinded by a false messiah who brings peace to the world but secretly works for the devil or something.

It's too bizarre. But when evangelical/right wing Christians tell me how much they love the Jewish people, I always wonder why.

Rome is a great place to be Jewish for a similar reason - the Pope wants to keep a bunch of us around or there can't be a second coming (I think). But Jews have a pretty good life there on account of that. And since they'll be waiting for their second coming for...well...forever...not a bad destination.

What the fundies are trying to do in Israel, and why anyone would want a war that will destroy the planet...it's just madness.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 8:55PM #3
gavrie
Yeah - it's pretty spooky. A lot of the extremist Christians (and the politicians, I think) really look forward to their Armageddon. But in order for that to happen (not totally up on this, but roughly), some of us have to be converted to Christianity, and all or most of us have to be in Israel to suffer and die horribly, and a few of us have to live so we can say we were wrong when Jesus comes back. We're all supposed to be blinded by a false messiah who brings peace to the world but secretly works for the devil or something.

It's too bizarre. But when evangelical/right wing Christians tell me how much they love the Jewish people, I always wonder why.

Rome is a great place to be Jewish for a similar reason - the Pope wants to keep a bunch of us around or there can't be a second coming (I think). But Jews have a pretty good life there on account of that. And since they'll be waiting for their second coming for...well...forever...not a bad destination.

What the fundies are trying to do in Israel, and why anyone would want a war that will destroy the planet...it's just madness.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 10:56PM #4
itsacrucifiction
[QUOTE=gavrie;31699]
But in order for that to happen (not totally up on this, but roughly), some of us have to be converted to Christianity, and all or most of us have to be in Israel to suffer and die horribly, and a few of us have to live so we can say we were wrong when Jesus comes back.[/QUOTE]

You know, I am atheist, but if I were ever going to convert to a religion, it would have to be Judaism, because at least yall are honest about your texts and your religion. However, I could never go through with it because I know I would constantly have Christians worrying me s***less trying to bring me to Jesus. And I would end up having to smack some Christians around to make them stop.

[QUOTE=gavrie;31699]
We're all supposed to be blinded by a false messiah who brings peace to the world but secretly works for the devil or something.
[/QUOTE]

Based on the rudest possible misunderstandings of your own texts.

[QUOTE=gavrie;31699]
But when evangelical/right wing Christians tell me how much they love the Jewish people, I always wonder why.[/QUOTE]

I would rather not know that kind of love personally.

[QUOTE=gavrie;31699]
Rome is a great place to be Jewish for a similar reason - the Pope wants to keep a bunch of us around or there can't be a second coming (I think). [/QUOTE]

I wouldn't trust that psychopathic twerp if my life depended on it. I definitely wouldn't let any children around him, no more than I would let children around Michael Jackson.

[QUOTE=gavrie;31699]
And since they'll be waiting for their second coming for...well...forever...not a bad destination.[/QUOTE]

HA! Like I said, at least the Jews are honest.

[QUOTE=gavrie;31699]
What the fundies are trying to do in Israel, and why anyone would want a war that will destroy the planet...it's just madness.[/QUOTE]

They are sick. They have a whole host of very sick and unhealthy obsessions and the one you mention is but one of them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 11:32PM #5
Beruriah33
[QUOTE=gavrie;31699]Yeah -

Rome is a great place to be Jewish for a similar reason - the Pope wants to keep a bunch of us around or there can't be a second coming (I think). QUOTE]

I never want that kind of love. It's the love of expectation. They give to us, we're expected at some point to prove their theology right.

Actually, the Pope kept the Jews of Rome in a ghetto and kept them around as an example. This is what happens to those who refute the church. These people are however proof that the Tanakh happened- the word of God as we interpret it is true or they wouldn't be here, suffering, now, would they?
There was in early Catholicism a debate about what to do with us. Some of them wanted to commit genocide on us then. But there were voices among the clatter that arose and demanded we be spared. Why? To be made an example of and to serve as their 'witness people'.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 1:35AM #6
gavrie
For all of that, though, Rome was one of the safest places to be during the Shoah if you were in Europe and a Jew. And since then, the living standard for us has gone up dramatically there - including some political clout. One of the few places in the world where being a Jew carries a bit of cachet, albeit maybe not for the right reasons - but I'll take what I can get.

I know the politics are Machiavellian as hell, but if it gets horrible again - likely where I'd head off to.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 8:27AM #7
Bunsinspace

Beruriah33 wrote:

Rome is a great place to be Jewish for a similar reason - the Pope wants to keep a bunch of us around or there can't be a second coming (I think). [/QUOTE]

BS"D

A mixed bag I think.  It is also easier for the Pope to slaughter a captive population if they fall into disfavor.]

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook