Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View worshipping multiple gods and goddesses
6 years ago  ::  Jan 30, 2008 - 6:47AM #11
Jm8
Ariel,

these Puranic stories have a teaching purpose. Devas are jivas like us but in higher positions in the cosmic hierarchy. God has emotions but they are beyond matter. To 'help women especially to escape the role of being subservient and lower in status than men' is a modern material concept not found in Vedic scriptures. Everyone is subservient to laws of dharma, which differ according to bodies/genders. Bhagavad gita is in no way against Puranas. This is a misconception which cannot be proven.

Hope this helps. Hare Krishna

"This Krishna Consciousness is a science to understand what is the difference between a dead body and a living body". (A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada)

Your servant, bh. Jan

http://www.vrindavan-dham.com
http://www.veda.harekrsna.cz
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2008 - 4:11AM #12
silence_speaks
hi jm,
       :)
"Bhagavad gita is in no way against Puranas. This is a misconception which cannot be proven."

If it is a misconception why prove ;) Just kidding friend.

BTW ... what is your take on Women and Men ... Are they equal or not ?
I believe they are perfectly equal and Realization has nothing to do with Gender ... Coz it is beyond body any ways ... Are we in agreement ?

Love!
Silence
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2008 - 6:57AM #13
Jm8
Silence,

> BTW ... what is your take on Women and Men ... Are they equal or not ?
I believe they are perfectly equal and Realization has nothing to do with Gender ... Coz it is beyond body any ways ... Are we in agreement ?

This is answered above in relation to dharma. Every jiva is equal from the point of tattva. But material bodies in samsara are not equal, there is a cosmic hierarchy.

"This Krishna Consciousness is a science to understand what is the difference between a dead body and a living body". (A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada)

Your servant, bh. Jan

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2008 - 7:53PM #14
ARIELAVALON
As a novice in Hinduism, I greatly appreciate all that I will learn here. I was raised Roman Catholic so I was exposed to the male and female aspects of GOD by seeing images of Jesus  and Mary. Hinduism has expanded this concept by its portrayals of Gods and Goddesses all emanating from One Divine Source. I have set up an altar at home. The central image is that of Krishna and Radha. To the left is a smaller image of Vishnu, to the right Lakshmi.A statue of Lord Buddha is below the center and then there is a smaller statue of Lord Ganesh in front of Buddha. I`ve read that Ganesh is the one who should first be invoked in devotion, so that`s why He is first, the smallest image, but the first one. I hope I`m getting it right. I pray that God guide me in what I do to show devotion to Him/Her. I have metal plates and bowels in which I place things like water, uncooked rice, cinnamon sticks, flowers, and burn incense daily to the Dieties. Positive things are happening in my life since I`ve been doing these things, so I guess I must be on the right track. I`ve seen Lakshmi work in my financial and physical improvement. Members of my family living with me have also felt a sense of harmony and peace in the household.
I started reading the Gita, but I think I should start with something more introductional, some reading material that could prepare me for the profound and enlightening concepts of Hinduism. I still struggle with some things like, why is Krishna the supreme Personality of Godhead? Krishna is male, so shouldn`t it be like a more Krishna-Radha type of Personality? Krishna is supposed to be an incarnation of Vishnu and Radha is the incarnate Lakshmi from what I`ve read. Whenever the male incarnates, so does his female consort. Am I wrong? I know these are a lot of questions, but I`m very patient and willing to learn slowly so I don`t expect immediate answers to all I`m asking.
                                  Peace,
                                     Ariel
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2008 - 5:11AM #15
Jm8
Ariel,

nice that you worship the Lord and have such positive realizations. Few remarks:

> To the left is a smaller image of Vishnu, to the right Lakshmi.

They should be together.

> I`ve read that Ganesh is the one who should first be invoked in devotion, so that`s why He is first

Vaishnavas generally don't worship Ganesh. Instead of him Shri Vaishnavas worship Vishvaksena and Gaudiya Vaishnavas worship Sri Narasimhadeva, the source of Ganesh's power as per Brahma samhita 5.50:

I adore the primeval Lord Govinda, whose lotus feet are always held by Ganesa upon the pair of tumuli protruding from his elephant head in order to obtain power for his function of destroying all the obstacles on the path of progress of the three worlds.

> I still struggle with some things like, why is Krishna the supreme Personality of Godhead? Krishna is male, so shouldn`t it be like a more Krishna-Radha type of Personality?

Krishna is always with Radha, so Radha-Krishna is the Supreme Personality of Godhead.
Krishna is not male in the material sense; human male body is material imperfect imitation of Krishna's.

> Krishna is supposed to be an incarnation of Vishnu and Radha is the incarnate Lakshmi from what I`ve read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaudiya_Va … va_schools

> Whenever the male incarnates, so does his female consort.

Yes.

Regarding your questions, they should be asked in the Hinduism forum:

http://community.beliefnet.com/forums/f … .php?f=160

Before asking please try to read relevant articles in Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org

There is much introduction reading on Vaishnavism, like introductory books of Srila Prabhupada, most of them also online. Our site has many relevant links.

Your servant, bh. Jan

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2008 - 6:01PM #16
omprem
[QUOTE=BeliefnetCheryl;683]Brought over from the old board ---

samiz_22

peace to all
these days i have been reading a lot of books on Hindu gods and goddesses
the one thing that i cant understand is that how can a person feel comfort and a sense of security in the worship of any of these deities . i will give a few examples below
shiva :1)shiva kills his own son ganesha in anger and later restores him to life
2)shiva kills kama in anger
3)shiva curses parvati to become a fisherwoman in anger
how can a devotee of shiva find peace in worshipping such a short and ill tempered god

vishnu: 1)in a battle between shiva s hordes and the devas ,virabhadra charged his trident at vishnu ,and vishnu fell unconscious.
2)once vishnu and brahma had an arguement that who is the greater he brahma the creator or he vishnu the sustainer and suddenly the linga came from nowhere,now both of them wanted to find the beginning and the end of this linga ,so brahma took the form of swan and set out to find the end and vishnu took the form of boar and set out to find the beginning , even after thousands of years they couldnt find the beginning and the end of the linga and hence both of them gave up, but brahma didnt accept his defeat in front of vishnu he lied he said that he had found the end ,just at that time shiva appears from the linga and tells vishnu that brahma is lying , shiva curses brahma that he will not be worshipped anymore and vishnu gets enlightened and understands that God has neither a beginning nor and end
i am sorry for narrating such a long story but i wonder how can anybody worship vishnu as a supreme God who seems to ignorant and ineffecient in both the stories above

any person who believes in God almighty believes that God is supreme , he is all perfect , he has no flaw at all he is all merciful ,just and all wise,

after reading the mythological stories one cant conclude that vishnu is all perfect and shiva is not all wise and perfect

so how can a person in distress and in sorrow find comfort in worshipping these deities[/QUOTE]

Cheryl

Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva are the Hindu equivalent of God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Ghost of the Christianity.

Brahman creates, Vishnu maintains the creation and Siva is the process of change in the creation.
God the Father is the source of creation, God the Holy Ghost is the process of creation, and God the Son is the created.

Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva are but aspects of Brahman as seen from our perspective. Similarly,
God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Ghost are but aspects of Yaweh or G-d as seen from our perspective. That all six are focused on creation shows that we view them from our sense of ourselves as created, individuated beings. When we are able to know our innate divinity and know that we are, in fact, God or Brahman, then we will no longer be focused on the notion of creation in time and space because we will know ourselves as beyond time and space, indeed the substratum from within which time and space arises.

In addition, it is not a useful idea to read scripture literally. Language is limited and cannot portray the reality of G-d/Brahman. But it can be used to stimulate our intuitive faculties so that we can know G-d/Brahman directly when used as poetry, allegory, metaphor, and parable. Remember that Jesus said he speaks to the majority of us in parable because we are not yet able to know G-d/Brahman directly.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2008 - 6:01PM #17
omprem
[QUOTE=BeliefnetCheryl;683]Brought over from the old board ---

samiz_22

peace to all
these days i have been reading a lot of books on Hindu gods and goddesses
the one thing that i cant understand is that how can a person feel comfort and a sense of security in the worship of any of these deities . i will give a few examples below
shiva :1)shiva kills his own son ganesha in anger and later restores him to life
2)shiva kills kama in anger
3)shiva curses parvati to become a fisherwoman in anger
how can a devotee of shiva find peace in worshipping such a short and ill tempered god

vishnu: 1)in a battle between shiva s hordes and the devas ,virabhadra charged his trident at vishnu ,and vishnu fell unconscious.
2)once vishnu and brahma had an arguement that who is the greater he brahma the creator or he vishnu the sustainer and suddenly the linga came from nowhere,now both of them wanted to find the beginning and the end of this linga ,so brahma took the form of swan and set out to find the end and vishnu took the form of boar and set out to find the beginning , even after thousands of years they couldnt find the beginning and the end of the linga and hence both of them gave up, but brahma didnt accept his defeat in front of vishnu he lied he said that he had found the end ,just at that time shiva appears from the linga and tells vishnu that brahma is lying , shiva curses brahma that he will not be worshipped anymore and vishnu gets enlightened and understands that God has neither a beginning nor and end
i am sorry for narrating such a long story but i wonder how can anybody worship vishnu as a supreme God who seems to ignorant and ineffecient in both the stories above

any person who believes in God almighty believes that God is supreme , he is all perfect , he has no flaw at all he is all merciful ,just and all wise,

after reading the mythological stories one cant conclude that vishnu is all perfect and shiva is not all wise and perfect

so how can a person in distress and in sorrow find comfort in worshipping these deities[/QUOTE]

Cheryl

Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva are the Hindu equivalent of God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Ghost of the Christianity.

Brahman creates, Vishnu maintains the creation and Siva is the process of change in the creation.
God the Father is the source of creation, God the Holy Ghost is the process of creation, and God the Son is the created.

Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva are but aspects of Brahman as seen from our perspective. Similarly,
God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Ghost are but aspects of Yaweh or G-d as seen from our perspective. That all six are focused on creation shows that we view them from our sense of ourselves as created, individuated beings. When we are able to know our innate divinity and know that we are, in fact, God or Brahman, then we will no longer be focused on the notion of creation in time and space because we will know ourselves as beyond time and space, indeed the substratum from within which time and space arises.

In addition, it is not a useful idea to read scripture literally. Language is limited and cannot portray the reality of G-d/Brahman. But it can be used to stimulate our intuitive faculties so that we can know G-d/Brahman directly when used as poetry, allegory, metaphor, and parable. Remember that Jesus said he speaks to the majority of us in parable because we are not yet able to know G-d/Brahman directly.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook