Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Accepted Protestant Doctrine
3 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2014 - 4:47PM #1
schleprock.

I think I need a textbook to explain basic accepted biblical doctrine (I am a Protestant).
I have been reading the Bible and other texts on the Bible for the past year or two. Especially since I was baptized.

Here is a list of the book titles or authors I have read:

Alpha Course Videos and another intro level book     Nicky Gumbel

Bible            (KJV) New Testament, (NIV) New Testament and Old Testament to 2 Kings ?

Managing Gods Money          Randy Alcorn

Listening to the Holy Ghost                Benjamin Welch and Sylvester Veal Jr.

What every Christian Ought to Know             Adrian Rogers

Prayers That Activate Blessings                         John Eckhardt

The 21 Most Effective Prayers of the Bible           Dave Earley

Satan and His Kingdom                                        Dennis McCallum

The 7 Day Prayer Warrior Experience                 Stormie Omartian

Prayer of Petition                                                Jerry Savelle

How to Pray                                                        Everett H. Jones

Christian Beliefs                                                 Wayne A Grudem

Books I have but have not read yet or have only glanced at:

The Holy Spirit  John Bevere

Anyway, how do I know what is proper doctrine.  How would I know if one of those books was not good doctrine. How would I know if I was being mislead.

Unfortunately I have little fellowship with other Christians so it is hard to ask them.  I work every Sunday and there are few Bible Studies in my area during the week.

I know there was some sort of meeting in Chicago that layed out mainstream beliefs.  Do they have a textbook for beginners?

I trust that the Holy Spirit has kept me on track but now the Spirit seems to want me to do some foundational work.

Can you recommed anyhing to help get that foundation.

Thank you for consideing my problem.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2014 - 8:12PM #2
Beliefnet_community

Hi, Schleprock -

Welcome to Beliefnet!  We're very glad you're here.

How about posting your question on one or two (two, max) of our Protestant forums?  Try posting your question on the Lutheran forum (here: community.beliefnet.com/go/forum/view/44...) and/or the Anglicans & Episcopalians forum (here: community.beliefnet.com/go/forum/view/44...).

Good luck!

We are listening! Problems, complaints, other issues? Send us a message at Beliefnet_community.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook