Switch to Forum Live View My tentative path to spirituality
2 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 4:20AM #1
Btheist

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this site, but hope that I can contribute something worthwhile and learn more about what I believe.

Until six months ago, I was an atheist, and didn't worry much about spirituality. I've always been interested in philosophy, but the questions of the existence of God and the chance of an afterlife were basically settled in my mind. Then, while reading about Plato and particularly the work of the philosopher John Leslie (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_A._Leslie), I questioned my previous assumptions and came to be persuaded of the existence of a sort of pantheistic mind of reality, which exists because there is an ethical demand that brings it into existence. I also believe that this mind is fundamentally good and may well grant our continued existence after we die in this physical universe, for reasons that I would be happy to go into if you like, but I'm far from convinced about any of these new convictions. I don't want to proselityze my beliefs, since I don't think God minds so much what we believe about God, so long as we know the difference between right and wrong.

I think my previous atheism is due to a lack of imagination; all the arguments I had previously read for or against the existence of God related to the traditional monotheistic conception of God as outside of the universe, timeless and spaceless, working through interventionist miracles. Now I believe in a very different kind of God. Btw I don't think atheists are at all misguided or irrational, I just don't hold that view any more.

I think that at the core of all worthy religions is a belief that there is a reality of some kind that is fundamentally good, which can play some role in our lives. But I'm unsure what kind of faith community would best suit me, if any at all. I'm interested in taoism, and love the subtle practical wisdom of the tao te ching, but I took the belief-o-meter test which said that I was most aligned with unitarian universalism.

But there's time enough to sort that all out. I'm very happy that this community exists for me to share my beliefs and learn from others. I look forward to making a few friends, and having a lot of interesting conversations!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2012 - 4:44AM #2
Caleb.fuller

While I'm new as well, I wanted to say hello and welcome. I shared a similar experience, years ago, but where you found John Leslie (a great mind, in his own right), I discovered a biography of CS Lewis, which in turn led me beyond his fantasy and "through the wardrobe" into his theological ponderings.

Anyways, welcome, and I hope we both have fun getting to know the forums. Have a good one, my friend. ^_^

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 5:29PM #3
Wolfman

Apr 14, 2012 -- 4:20AM, Btheist wrote:

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this site, but hope that I can contribute something worthwhile and learn more about what I believe.

Until six months ago, I was an atheist, and didn't worry much about spirituality. I've always been interested in philosophy, but the questions of the existence of God and the chance of an afterlife were basically settled in my mind. Then, while reading about Plato and particularly the work of the philosopher John Leslie (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_A._Leslie), I questioned my previous assumptions and came to be persuaded of the existence of a sort of pantheistic mind of reality, which exists because there is an ethical demand that brings it into existence. I also believe that this mind is fundamentally good and may well grant our continued existence after we die in this physical universe, for reasons that I would be happy to go into if you like, but I'm far from convinced about any of these new convictions. I don't want to proselityze my beliefs, since I don't think God minds so much what we believe about God, so long as we know the difference between right and wrong.

I think my previous atheism is due to a lack of imagination; all the arguments I had previously read for or against the existence of God related to the traditional monotheistic conception of God as outside of the universe, timeless and spaceless, working through interventionist miracles. Now I believe in a very different kind of God. Btw I don't think atheists are at all misguided or irrational, I just don't hold that view any more.

I think that at the core of all worthy religions is a belief that there is a reality of some kind that is fundamentally good, which can play some role in our lives. But I'm unsure what kind of faith community would best suit me, if any at all. I'm interested in taoism, and love the subtle practical wisdom of the tao te ching, but I took the belief-o-meter test which said that I was most aligned with unitarian universalism.

But there's time enough to sort that all out. I'm very happy that this community exists for me to share my beliefs and learn from others. I look forward to making a few friends, and having a lot of interesting conversations!

I was agnostic until an out of body experience sent me on a spiritual quest. Yes there is something greater than ourselves.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 6:56PM #4
christine3

BTheist said:  Hello everyone!

>>>Hi.

BT:  I'm new to this site, but hope that I can contribute something worthwhile and learn more about what I believe.

>>>I hope you find an area you are passionate about; that makes it fun.

BT:  Until six months ago, I was an atheist...

>>>You must have had quite a "different" realization.

BT:  I questioned my previous assumptions and came to be persuaded of the existence of a sort of pantheistic mind of reality...

>>>Same here; I consider myself a pantheist.

BT:  ...since I don't think God minds so much what we believe about God, so long as we know the difference between right and wrong...

>>>I agree, and right and wrong are different at different levels.

BT:  Btw I don't think atheists are at all misguided or irrational...

>>>Me either, but they are quite impatient with the lovey, inclusive feeling people get that they call their God.

BT:...the belief-o-meter test which said that I was most aligned with unitarian universalism...

>>>You could have two world views, say, Christian and Buddhist, and would be called a unitarian universalist.  UU is sort of a catch-all.  I was called the same when I came, and I am definitely not a UU.

BT:  I look forward to making a few friends, and having a lot of interesting conversations!

>>>Welcome!  Likewise.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook