2 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2012 - 5:28PM #1
Holly_2012
Hi! I'm Holly...

New to the site and community...

I was thinking it was a little more active, but it appears the forums and groups are very quite or non-active. This gal would love to be involved in an active group (positive message, prayers, hobby-related) - are there any you'd recommend?

I am also wondering what membership levels/points are and how they are involved in the site? There hasn't been any mention of that other than what I noticed on my page.

Looking forward to making new friends! :)
Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
Healthy, free, the world before me,
The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.
Henceforth I ask not good-fortune -I myself am good fortune;
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing
Strong and content, I travel the open road...

-– Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2012 - 3:06AM #2
Kareekher

Hey dear,

I am also new here just checking out some topics and groups.. I also felt same like...

Any way welcome to Beliefnet... Have a good time here. :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2012 - 5:10PM #3
Holly_2012

Thank you for the welcome! Nice to know I'm not the only one here. Seems very quiet... everyone must be off meditating. ;)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2012 - 2:42PM #4
christine3

Feb 12, 2012 -- 5:28PM, Holly_2012 wrote:

Hi! I'm Holly...

New to the site and community...

I was thinking it was a little more active, but it appears the forums and groups are very quite or non-active. This gal would love to be involved in an active group (positive message, prayers, hobby-related) - are there any you'd recommend?

I am also wondering what membership levels/points are and how they are involved in the site? There hasn't been any mention of that other than what I noticed on my page.

Looking forward to making new friends! :)

Hi Holly!

You just have to look around the groups and notice where people are discussing.  I look at the viewboard page and see where people have posted within a couple of minutes or days, click on that, and go into the threads section, and see what's going on.

Reading your profile page, we have similar lifestyles.  I'd be a gypsy traveling around in a van if money, time and lack of attachments allowed, but alas, I'm tied down with animals and garden. Have to keep those two things going.  I also like making my on things.

I don't know the answer to "levels/points".  A moderator of a group would know that.

So hello friend, and welcome!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2012 - 1:05PM #5
Holly_2012

Thank you for the welcome and additional information, Christine! :)

Well, I have no house - the RV is "home", so no gardening for me. Although have travelled with some plants over the years...  but I have been looking at shelter dogs lately. :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2012 - 1:46PM #6
christine3

Feb 13, 2012 -- 3:06AM, Kareekher wrote:

Hey dear,

I am also new here just checking out some topics and groups.. I also felt same like...

Any way welcome to Beliefnet... Have a good time here. :)

Hi there,

I've been saying hello to people when they come, so HELLO!  You know, I've been sort of 'lurking' around the New Members Forum lately.  That is very lately, within the last couple of months on and off.  I noticed that people come to Beliefnet and say "Hi!, I'm here and glad to be here." And nobody says "Hi" back.  I'd like a little greeting back myself, so haven't ask if I could do it, but sort of designated myself.  Although I'm hit and miss as time allows.  There really should be a full time designated person to say "Hi" to newcomers, or people at Beliefnet should be encouraged to say "Hi".  There was another group I belonged to for awhile, Esotericonline.com.  It is somewhat like this.  Members were encouraged to welcome newcomers and that felt nice.  Anyway, poke around and just jump into conversations as you find them interesting, that's what I did.  There is so much here.  Made some friends too!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2012 - 1:54PM #7
christine3

Feb 17, 2012 -- 1:05PM, Holly_2012 wrote:

Well, I have no house - the RV is "home", so no gardening for me. Although have travelled with some plants over the years...  but I have been looking at shelter dogs lately. :)

You must be a survivalist?  If so, a woman after my own heart.  I've often dreamed of doing what you're doing but couldn't due to work and raising a daughter.  Still, I'd really like to take about 4 years and go around the country, see towns, history.  It easy to do nowadays (except the price of gas). There are cell phones, computers.  Do you use your own computer or find one at a coffee shop or library?

I think it's great to have a little doggy, they are such good companions.  Don't know what I'd do without my Suzi, she's great and appreciates her good life with me!  Have you found any good threads yet?  You can start your own too.  'The Travellin' Woman' thread!  Bet you have some good stories to tell.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2012 - 3:03PM #8
Holly_2012

Feb 17, 2012 -- 1:54PM, christine3 wrote:

Feb 17, 2012 -- 1:05PM, Holly_2012 wrote:

You must be a survivalist?  If so, a woman after my own heart.  I've often dreamed of doing what you're doing but couldn't due to work and raising a daughter.  Still, I'd really like to take about 4 years and go around the country, see towns, history.  It easy to do nowadays (except the price of gas). There are cell phones, computers.  Do you use your own computer or find one at a coffee shop or library?

I think it's great to have a little doggy, they are such good companions.  Don't know what I'd do without my Suzi, she's great and appreciates her good life with me!  Have you found any good threads yet?  You can start your own too.  'The Travellin' Woman' thread!  Bet you have some good stories to tell.

I had to chuckle! No, I am definately not one of those survivalist folks. ;)

I went through cancer and 3 major hurricanes in a one year period. Put a lot of things in perspective. Esp. the whole materialism thing. Too many people working 40+ hours a week for "toys" they can't use because they are always working to pay them off. And then something happens to the boat, giant-screen TV, etc... and they have nothing. Life has went passing by...

So I'm just living much simplier and with less stress. ;) I always wanted to just travel and see the sites. Been very lucky to have seen 49 states right now. Have to wait on Hawaii... until they get that bridge built! haha

I like the RV lifestyle and every day you see something new. And if you get tired of your neighbors you don't have to worry much - either they'll leave soon or you will! haha

I have netbook and usually just get free WiFi from the campground/RV resort or a local library. I do have an internet card with a small monthly fee, but only use it if the free sources aren't available. I don't have a regular cell phone, just a pre-paid. After years of working offices and having to answer multiple-lines, I have become a phone-phobic.

I think I last read that there are about 1.5 million who are either full-time or part-time/seasonal RVers. And there are a number of folks with children/families. Most home-school and there are a lot of jobs for RVers. If you are interested in travelling (and you don't always need an RV - some jobs include a house, apartment or cabin), you should check out Workamper.com or caretaker.org for jobs that allow you to travel and live comfortably. Many allow pets, but some may have breed or weight restrictions.

I wouldn't recommend the lifestyle for everyone, but for those that want to travel and live simplier, it is a great way. :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2012 - 4:38PM #9
christine3

I had to chuckle! No, I am definately not one of those survivalist folks. ;)

>.....me gets it.  Well, I do know of the lifestyle, having talked on many occasions to those are nomadic. ( http://www.rainbowgatherings.org/ )

I went through cancer and 3 major hurricanes in a one year period. Put a lot of things in perspective. Esp. the whole materialism thing. Too many people working 40+ hours a week for "toys" they can't use because they are always working to pay them off. And then something happens to the boat, giant-screen TV, etc... and they have nothing. Life has went passing by...\

>.....Sorry to hear of the cancer and hope all is well now!  Three hurricanes is a lot.  I've never seen a tornado or hurricane.  I suspect you got out of town fast; lucky you had a portable home!  I hear you with the fast-paced lifestyle, and so much distraction!  Maybe they can't stand their own thoughts? ;>) .  I don't know if the world is better or worse for all the technology.

So I'm just living much simplier and with less stress. ;) I always wanted to just travel and see the sites. Been very lucky to have seen 49 states right now. Have to wait on Hawaii... until they get that bridge built! haha

>.....My daughter and her husband live in Hawaii overseeing a house and garden.  The owners want them there so nobody squats.  They are on Maui, and love the slower pace.  Pretty much like the '60s before everything got so revved up. 

I like the RV lifestyle and every day you see something new. And if you get tired of your neighbors you don't have to worry much - either they'll leave soon or you will! haha

I have netbook and usually just get free WiFi from the campground/RV resort or a local library. I do have an internet card with a small monthly fee, but only use it if the free sources aren't available. I don't have a regular cell phone, just a pre-paid. After years of working offices and having to answer multiple-lines, I have become a phone-phobic.

>.....no doubt you're better off with the phobia--haha! I tried multiple lines once and quit the job within a week...I am terrible at multitask jobs.  Waitressing, forget it!  I ended up being a violin teacher and medical transcriber.  Just enough of both to balance.  Transcribing is a solo job, and one-on-one with the teaching...not much multitasking there either.  I had a lot of education at university also.

I think I last read that there are about 1.5 million who are either full-time or part-time/seasonal RVers. And there are a number of folks with children/families. Most home-school and there are a lot of jobs for RVers. If you are interested in travelling (and you don't always need an RV - some jobs include a house, apartment or cabin), you should check out Workamper.com or caretaker.org for jobs that allow you to travel and live comfortably. Many allow pets, but some may have breed or weight restrictions.

>.....Eight years ago on Public TV I saw "History of Camping" in the U.S.  That wasn't the title but it was something comparable.  You must know the camping history in the U.S., millions of people carrying their houses with them, everywhere!! It was a whole lifestyle, not frowned upon as it is now. I liked the opening scene, a Native American carrying everything on his travois.  I Googled up this Indian.  Isn't it amazing how we can Google information?  And that nice old Indian man is  long gone by now.  Well, Sir, believe it or not, *you* are the topic of conversation between two women in the 21st century!!

www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www....

>.....With my Native American ethnicity (3/4 Indian, 1/4 Northern European), the periodic nomadic lifestyle suits me fine.  I make friends fast too.  Can strike up a conversation and within minutes it's a percolating conversation!

I wouldn't recommend the lifestyle for everyone, but for those that want to travel and live simplier, it is a great way. :)

>.... The Workamper.com or caretaker.org websites are invaluable information.  I'll pass it on to daughter and hubby--they are the same way.  Love to travel, are very creative, adaptive, and can live on a dime if need be.  My kind of people.  He's a professional mechanic and she's a marvelous vegetarian cook and artist.  They have dropped out of the 40-hour-a-week lifestyle also.  There's more to life than making money. 

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook