Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What Does Valentines Day Mean You?
3 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2012 - 11:52AM #11
Rgurley4

HAPPY SAINT VALENTINE'S DAY !

Saint Valentine's Day...

February 14th is St. Valentine's Day.
Every year on this day, human love (eros + philos?) is celebrated across the world...(but not agape'?)

The TRADITION originated in Rome in the 5th century as a tribute to St. Valentine,
a Catholic bishop who was beheaded by Emperor Claudius on ~February 14, 270 A.D.
The story goes that the Emperor banned marriage in his empire and
put Valentine to his death when he found out that the priest was secretly marrying young people.

Originally, the day was marked by sending poems and gifts (such as flowers)
but it became quite commercialized as early as the 1800's.

Today, Valentine symbols include Cupid (seraphim + cherabim?), flowers, chocolates and hearts.

C'mon guys and gals...get in the loving spirit and mood!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2012 - 11:59AM #12
drawout

Feb 14, 2012 -- 11:29AM, Ironhold wrote:

Haven't had a date since 2005.

Thanks to the economy forcing me into a much lower-paying, less-prestigious job, I'll probably never have a date again since I don't have wads of cash to be flashing around.

Dont give up. Not only do I work at a sewage treatment plant,I am also hideously ugly. My wife asked me out because she heard I was easy and kinkier than a cheap garden hose.

I treat my wife like its valentines day every day. I cook delicous meals and play Jazz albums (vinyl) by candle light during dinner. She says its like starring in a chick flick every night.

'When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.' - Mark Twain
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2012 - 12:17PM #13
jane2

Feb 14, 2012 -- 11:05AM, Roodog wrote:

The St. Faustus' Day Chocolate Sale on February 15th!Tongue Out

Roo

The last 2 or 3 years my husband was alive we had  running joke. He would deliberately buy the flowers and chocolates on the day after Valentine's Day. We both thought it was hilarious. We were married for 40 years.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2012 - 12:34PM #14
mecdukebec

Thanks to the economy forcing me into a much lower-paying, less-prestigious job, I'll probably never have a date again since I don't have wads of cash to be flashing around.

A simple love sonnet, a bottle of wine, French bread, and a place amongst the bluebonnets;  nothing to cost "wads of cash." 

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2012 - 1:34PM #15
Fodaoson

LuLu2 :I was commenting on you signature “Without the Soul of Christ alive in us...we are nothing but empty shells” I find life very full without the burden of religious doctrines that counters reason . Obama does not believe Government is God. I find that many posters let their politics and their dislike (?) of Obama deprive them of rationality

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2012 - 1:42PM #16
BDboy

Buy or cook food for her. Going to get some sweets for her and do whatever she wanted to in last two months but was not able to do. So I try to remember what she wanted..

Works nicely for me. Also try to spend as much time I can and she likes that. :-)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2012 - 2:08PM #17
mytmouse57

Listen to an older guy who has been around a bit, and know this to be true:

Women for whom those things are that important aren't worth your time to begin with.

I love what I do, and I'm good at it.

But I've never cracked the $30K a year barrier with my salary.

And I am married to an extremely intelligent, beautiful, sexy, caring, strong, brave, patient, kind, passionate, fascinating, trustworthy, honest-to-god woman -- who is better than I deserve. I am, without a doubt, the luckiest sonofabitch that I know.

Don't give up. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2012 - 2:51PM #18
Ken

Feb 14, 2012 -- 11:52AM, Rgurley4 wrote:

HAPPY SAINT VALENTINE'S DAY !

Saint Valentine's Day...

February 14th is St. Valentine's Day.
Every year on this day, human love (eros + philos?) is celebrated across the world...(but not agape'?)

The TRADITION originated in Rome in the 5th century as a tribute to St. Valentine,
a Catholic bishop who was beheaded by Emperor Claudius on ~February 14, 270 A.D.
The story goes that the Emperor banned marriage in his empire and
put Valentine to his death when he found out that the priest was secretly marrying young people.

St. Valentine's Day - the feast day of several martyrs named Valentinus - was not associated with love until the late fourteenth century. In 1382, the English poet Geoffrey Chaucer wrote a poem to celebrate the first anniversary of the engagement of Richard II to Anne of Bohemia. The engagement had taken place on May 2, 1381 - the feast of St. Valentinus of Genoa - and Chaucer invented the pretty idea that this was the day when birds choose their mates. This idea was picked up by several other poets, transferred to the more familiar Valentine's Day on February 14, and by 1400 had become popular in aristocratic circles. Ladies would receive love poems from their admirers, and "High Courts of Love" were held.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2012 - 3:36PM #19
Erey

I see Valentines Day as an opportunity to do something nice for a few people around me.

If it is stressfull for you to buy a card, fix some dinner or grab some flowers then don't do it.  But maybe you can think of some effort for your beloveds that won't stress you too much?

Some people enjoy and can afford grand displays and others need to go for some more heart-felt or homeade gestures (which can be fantastic).  There is no sin in choosing to NOT spend money to purchase things you can't afford, however I do believe it is a sin to let an opportunity go by (esp a obvious, blatant opportunity) to do some nice thing for the one you love. 

What I have noticed is the people who say they resent the idea that there is a holiday to celebrate and show love are the people that really don't go for any romantic or generous gestures the rest of the year either. 

Today I got up a bit early and fixed a nice Bfast for the household, chocolate chip pancakes, bacon and strawberries.  Everyone got a little bag of chocolates and a small gift (in the 20 dollar range).  I then went and joined one of my best friends for coffee and breakfast at a cute cafe.  When I got back home my husband had left flowers for me (I think the cost was about 25 dollars for the bunch)

No stress, just a bit of planning for me.  I also put a special treat in the kids lunches. 

However if we were really lean on money I would have just made breakfast and maybe a dessert for dinner tonight and left it at that. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2012 - 5:47PM #20
Girlchristian

I think it means something different for everyone. This year, I'm officially seven months pregnant today so it's about more than just my husband and I. I'm also on day six of a really bad cold so I'm not able to fix the romantic dinner for us as I had planned. My husband is picking up takeout on his way home. I bought him two cards--a funny one and a mushy one and I got him some of his favorite candy, which is all I had the time to do because I got sick. We'll watch something on TV and then he'll nag me about going to bed early so that I can get better. It's really just a day, but it's whatever you want it to be.

Ironhold, I agree with Mytmouse, if a woman won't be with you because of a lack of money then she's not a woman and she's not worth the effort.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook