Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Life expectancy of Americans drops slightly
4 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2010 - 2:52PM #1
solfeggio

New surveys show that, for the first time in four years, the average life expectancy of Americans has dropped, from 77.9 years to 77.8 years.  This is a minuscule drop, of course but, as noted in the CBS News piece, it could be related to the rise in obesity in America.

www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/12/10/ap/he...

Now, five years ago, the NIH in America predicted just such a drop:

www.nih.gov/news/pr/mar2005/nia-16.htm

Obesity probably just boils down to eating too many of the wrong foods.  But sedentary work conditions, and doing too much driving instead of walking can contribute to weight gain as well.  And, consequently, more obesity means more obesity-related health problems.

Heart disease remains the leading cause of death for Americans.

According to the report, the best state in which to live, in terms of mortality, was Hawaii:

news.yahoo.com/s/afp/ushealthlongevitydi...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2010 - 3:12PM #2
DotNotInOz

Unfortunately, many American towns and cities are so spread out with inadequate public transportation if they have any at all, that it is often a challenge to do what one needs without driving.

I wish more of us would wake up to the fact that we'd probably not need to schedule exercise sessions if we simply parked our cars and used bicycles or feet to get us places as much as we can manage.

When I was in graduate school, I typically walked from my apartment to campus and home again, thoroughly enjoying the fresh air and exercise--a distance of about 3.5 miles one way. That's undoubtedly when I was in the best condition of my life since I often logged ten miles or more a day walking about.

It used to astound me when I once lived barely a block and a half from work. People typically would pull over and ask if I'd like a ride there or home. I was frequently tempted to reply "You've GOT to be joking!" but instead politely declined.

I need to get back into that habit now. The three-mile walk to the nearest supermarket would hardly kill me if I built up to it. And since I've a wheeled shopping cart, I wouldn't even have to go there but every other day or so when the weather's chilly enough that refrigerated or frozen foods would survive the walk home.

I wouldn't be surprised but that obesity is a factor in this slight decline. I've sometimes done a count of how many people I see in large stores or malls who are obviously overweight...usually it's at least 2 of every 3 I see. That's appalling!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2010 - 3:20PM #3
Christianlib

But, but, sol.....we have "the finest health care in the world."  There's folks right on this board who will tell you that at the drop of a statistic.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2010 - 3:37PM #4
Ebon

To be honest, movements that small could be caused by virtually anything.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2010 - 3:53PM #5
Guessses

No one gets out of life alive.

Infinite Blessings
Mike/NAFOD
"Lord, please, protect me from Your followers!"
"WWBD? Buddha- Does it matter? If you are enlightened it does not. If you are not enlightened it still doesn't matter."
"If you go looking to place blame, eventually you'll wind up blaming the Gods"
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2010 - 4:16PM #6
Christianlib

Dec 11, 2010 -- 3:37PM, Ebon wrote:

Not only "caused" by virtually anything, but actually non-existent, as they fall within the range of statistical uncertainty.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 12, 2010 - 5:32AM #7
CharikIeia

Dec 11, 2010 -- 4:16PM, Christianlib wrote:

Dec 11, 2010 -- 3:37PM, Ebon wrote:

Not only "caused" by virtually anything, but actually non-existent, as they fall within the range of statistical uncertainty.

Exactly. This is a zero change, even by very liberal statistical testing.

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 12, 2010 - 1:48PM #8
solfeggio

True, true.  Nevertheless, it made the news, so that makes it elegible for Hot Topics.  Wink

But, even it is a meaningless statistic, the fact of America's (and the industrialised world's) growing obesity is always something that should be of great concern to us all.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 12, 2010 - 2:07PM #9
LeahOne

Maybe it's simply a function, rather than obesity, of anxiety over unemployment?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 12, 2010 - 2:42PM #10
mytmouse57

Dec 12, 2010 -- 2:07PM, LeahOne wrote:

Maybe it's simply a function, rather than obesity, of anxiety over unemployment?

Maybe it's becaues people who are unemployed get depressed and anxious, and eat more -- especially junk food.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook