Switch to Forum Live View We are the Baby Boomers? What is your club city state,church doing to support our generation?
4 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2010 - 8:59PM #1
KIND6004

I read an article that was discussing the best cities, and states to grow old in, what do you think of your area? Has it any special provisions, seems like the state of florida, because so many are retiring her have raised the age now from 55 to 62. Other areas in the country stood out in the article, because they had weekly activities, websites, special housing opportunities, food banks. So many in this generation, It seems to have thrown a agencies into major problems, because of failure to plan. also the financial sitituation stock driven retirements, damaged. What have you have to rethink? Since you reached your fifties an more, did you change your retirement plans, are you selling your home? Moving to areas that are not as costly to live in. Do you belong to organizations that have made the quality of your life better that you would suggest to others. Given up driving due to the cost of owning a car or the cost of insurance, and repairs. Lets look at the brain pool, if no one else is helping we should help each other. Dont run away lets live with gusto. There is a brain pool of knowledge, that is being lost with our generation being more into youth. How are you exercising your wisdom? Learned something that generation x might need to know? Lets share?

God is Good
God is Worthy to be Praised.
Gods Word will endure forever.
kind6004
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2010 - 11:00PM #2
Stardove

Good topic and questions Kind,  My husband has been home sine 1989, so retirement came early (disability).  Our plan is to keep the homestead and do some traveling while we are 61 years young.  We recently bought a truck, but still need to being looking for a RV trailer.  We can stay at national parks with campsite for free, due to 100% VA disability. We are ready to start a new phase of life.

I've been in the Dallas-Fort Worth area since 1963.  I bought our home in 1977, so you could say I'm settled in.  Three of our four children live in the DFW area. One daughter and family in southeast of Austin.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2010 - 1:31AM #3
KIND6004

I Visted Dallas once, did not realize it was the city that Pres kennedy died in until some of the other members from church went on a tour, we had driven from michigan for a church  convention . Oldest son is in Iowa land of corn fields he says, like in the movie field of dreams, and then one in tallahassee, he is the youngest, girl and boy still in this area. My plans changed due to injury. But I Did some exciting thing in career. Owned a home in michigan and down here til a year ago. Must have had the travel bug bite me early years now am more settled. Thought I Would have liked traveling abroad. Sometimes life throws you a curve, but its been exciting watching God, prove himself strong on my behalf.

God is Good
kind6004
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2010 - 3:50PM #4
Stardove

We are going on our first cruise with oldest daughter and her family this next summer.  Hoping we will have the RV trailer and can drive to Miami, instead of flying.  Smile

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2010 - 7:43PM #5
KIND6004

Do you have your passport? Now even visiting our closest neighbors, you have to have one, could go to Canada, Mexico, islands like Bahamas, Jamaica in the past without being required to.  Previously could travel with a drivers license. So dont forget and leave it behind. I Use to like going over the bridge in Michigan to canada. Oh for the good old days.

God is Good
kind6004
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2010 - 9:00PM #6
Stardove

Nov 19, 2010 -- 7:43PM, KIND6004 wrote:

Do you have your passport? Now even visiting our closest neighbors, you have to have one, could go to Canada, Mexico, islands like Bahamas, Jamaica in the past without being required to.  Previously could travel with a drivers license. So dont forget and leave it behind. I Use to like going over the bridge in Michigan to canada. Oh for the good old days.

Yes, Hank and I both have our passports.  I named my second daughter, Sara Jamaica, after the island. I loved Jamaica.   Her bio father was killed before she was born and he had wanted this name for her.  She goes by Jamaica instead of Sara.  Changed from Sara in 8th grade due to there being six Sara/Sarah-s in her class.

Canada was the first place I went after getting passport with a girlfriend.  Then I went to Mexico with some family members.  Hank skipped both trips.  Both trips were a good time.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2010 - 8:15PM #7
Gwalchmai60

I turned 50 six months ago and am having quite a time of it with the number "5" in front of the second digiit.  However, I found some comfort in an interview I read several months ago in the NY Times with Ringo Starr on the occasion of his 70th (!) birthday.  He said, "I still have the heart of a 24 year old!" And I can TOTALLY relate.

Early 20th century author, Edith Wharton, is quoted has having said the following: "Surrender the things of youth gracefully."  I intend to follow that advice, though I have no intention of becoming an old fogie.  In fact, just in this past year I've noticed some slight graying at my temples.  My solution? More blond highlights than I usually get!

I am a die hard fan of Classic Rock (remember when it was cutting edge?) and find a lot of inspiration in the bands and soloists and stars of "that era" who are still making music in their late 50s and 60s.  They are making it much easier for me to accept getting older.

But the real reason I'm replying to this post is because I am a Certified Life Coach working exclusively with the LGBT 50+ community.

In fact, I'm going back to school i(U of Nevada-Las Vegas) n January to start work on an Academic Certificate in Gerontology (19% of the population will be 65 or older by 2020).  It is another bona fide I feel I need to be able to appropriately relate to my peers (the tail end of the Boomers), as well as the early Boomers, now age 65 or so.

So, that is what this individual is doing for the 50+ "Boomers" and it feels great.

Very good question and I'm happy to have been able to contribute.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2010 - 11:12PM #8
Stardove

Gwalchmai60,

Welcome to the AG "club".  I was looking forward to turning 60 to get the senior discounts.  Smile

Now 62 will be here in the Spring.  I've sent an invite and hope to see you at Aging Gracefully group. 

Some of us will Rock N' Roll forever.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook