Page 7 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Switch to Forum Live View Would you be tested? Study finds test can be 100% accurate in predicting Alzheimer's
4 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2010 - 11:15AM #61
Erey

my thoughts are I don't necessarily buy that just anyone can take that test and get a decent predection of Alzheimers.

The study says "patients who have significant memory loss".

I think disease and onset of disease and expression of disease are alot more complicated than that.

However, I might take the test becasue althought there is no cure I think there are efforts people can make to reduce symptoms.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2010 - 11:37AM #62
appy20

Aug 16, 2010 -- 8:16AM, Iwantamotto wrote:

I've noticed there's roughly two types of patients:  the happy grandmother type (who just always seems stuck on the "nice" position) or the angry deluded male type (everything in life gets them ticked off).  Now, not that there aren't exceptions, but I've noticed "happy" and "furious" tend to be the main themes.  It's not really an issue in my family (I've got a DSM full of other stuff to think about besides that), but I'd rather be the clueless happy type.  I'm already half-way there, LOL.

Personality changes don't usually happen until the last stages.  Long after you don't take baths, can't drive, etc.  Eventually, you can't even feed yourself.  Sometimes, the anger comes about from denial or fear.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2010 - 3:48PM #63
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2010 - 6:20PM #64
frocks

when my dear friend, Monsignor Tom, became ill.  mini status tests began and other ongoing tests were always happening.  at one point he had to be removed from his luxury senior community due to violen periods.  he then went to a lockdown facility.  for a while no one was excused from his rath.  after a while that changed.  he had been my friend for almost 50 years.  that held and the anger left him.  it was a long and quite sad process;  from the beginning til the day he died.

and, i still miss him.he did wonderful things right up to the end.  He gave $1,000,000.  to a spiritual group whose work and prayer he liked.  his books and writings went to religious orders.  the finest thing i can say about Tom is that he passed on PEACEFULLY AND WITH GRACE.  Praise God.

Frank

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 02, 2010 - 12:02PM #65
teilhard

Nope ... I'll take a "pass" on such Tests ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 03, 2010 - 4:27PM #66
frocks

Dear Friends:  no, i do not believe i would be tested.  for a long while i was guardian for mnsgr Tom.  his alzeimers came on him fast, killed him in lest tht 7 years.  he did go through a brief period of vilence, wthich selltled down rapidly.  he did not go the his brilliant mind was slipping away.  for me, the saddest development was his loss of sound spirituality. he no longer sought pray; either folks to pray with or folks to pray for him.

monsignor, whom i had known for almost 50 years, never complained, or asked for any material thing.  he didnt feel sorry for himself in the slightes.  even when he couldn't remember the formula in English he would bless me in Latin, 'cause the memory of that still remained with him.

so, i would say not to such a test.  i would not want to that i was losing my mind.

Frank (AKA FROCKS)

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 06, 2010 - 11:08PM #67
Stardove

Frocks, my girlfriend's mother was also violent.  She is now on psychiatric drugs to make her not be violent.  She is gone, but still here.  My friend is having a very difficult time seeing her mother like she is.

As always good to see you.  My email hasn't changed, so make sure your friend has it.  You can also use it you know?

So far in my genetic pool we have been blessed with longevity and minds still there.  I plan on keeping my own mind and body that way.  So no to testing.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 07, 2010 - 11:36AM #68
teilhard

Our Lord Jesus ( reportedly ) stated it very well ( in Matthew 6:34 ) --

" ... do not worry about Tomorrow, for Tomorrow will bring Worries of its own. Today's Trouble is enough for Today ... "

Sep 3, 2010 -- 4:27PM, frocks wrote:

Dear Friends:  no, i do not believe i would be tested.  for a long while i was guardian for mnsgr Tom.  his alzeimers came on him fast, killed him in lest tht 7 years.  he did go through a brief period of vilence, wthich selltled down rapidly.  he did not go the his brilliant mind was slipping away.  for me, the saddest development was his loss of sound spirituality. he no longer sought pray; either folks to pray with or folks to pray for him.

monsignor, whom i had known for almost 50 years, never complained, or asked for any material thing.  he didnt feel sorry for himself in the slightes.  even when he couldn't remember the formula in English he would bless me in Latin, 'cause the memory of that still remained with him.

so, i would say not to such a test.  i would not want to that i was losing my mind.

Frank (AKA FROCKS)

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 7 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook