Switch to Forum Live View CCRC's??? Type A contracts???? Life Care????
4 years ago  ::  Jun 27, 2010 - 4:49PM #1
LeahOne

HI there! : ))  After the ongoing 'crisis' of the past 18 months, it finally looks as though we're approaching a resolution for my Mom to get the care she needs....DON'T ASK ME about that, just DON'T!!!!

*sigh!*  Since the Mommy has pretty well worn out the two of us, Sis and me, I've started to think about planning for our own future (husband and me).  We only have the one child, and I do NOT want him to have to go through the stuff his aunt and I have.

SO, we are looking at 'continuing care retirement communities'....  We are very mistrustful of the 'for profit' communities and of the 'chains' as well (I can explain this if anyone wants to know).  We are 'yankees' and prefer to stay in the East, somehwere between (roughly) Philadelphia and Richmond VA....one place we've considered is Williamsburg VA but we are finding it may be too expensive.  We'd consider as far as Charlotte, NC  - but that's about our limit.

We plan on going back to college, and getting involved with theater groups, and a few other hobbies life's gotten in the way of.  We 'need' to be near (30-45min) a city, but don't want to be in a 'downtown high rise' settting....We figure we'll need a unit with at least 1000 sf of living space, as we intend to make new friends and love to entertain.

So - is there anyone who's already moved to such a community?  Does anone have suggestions as to particular places or communities we might want to look at?   I figure we are 7-8 years out from actually selling our home and moving - but this kind of decision requires considerable planning and I don't want to have to 'rush' on it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2010 - 3:15PM #2
Stardove

I am in the same home since 1977.  My husband would love to move to the country, but three of our four children and two of our three grand-kids are in the area, I am not ready to pack it up and move away (Title of song Hank wrote years ago).

When the big change come we will go to the country down in south Texas outside of the Austin area where our other child lives.

I am not thinking about retirement centers at this point in time.

PS.  When I moved here in '77 this was the country.  No more the Mac Mansions have taken over the town.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2010 - 8:08PM #3
LeahOne

UGH, McMansions.....

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2010 - 11:10AM #4
Stardove

Right across the street from my home.  Selling for way more than one million.  Zero lots, huge houses.  Doesn't make sense to me.  We only have an acre and 1/2, but that is more than most in this town today.

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2010 - 1:04PM #5
LeahOne

Whooopeeeee!  Just got the call from Sis that the new contract is ready and Mom will be set.  She 'crashed and burned' just a week after finally moving in to the new place, has been in the nursing wing ever since.  We don't think she'll ever get to 'assisted living', although of course we'd like to see her recover to that point.

This has been going on for two years now, during which time I've had trouble maintaining myself and the household (has anyone seen my living room floor?).....

I can't imagine dumping this kind of thing on my son...he's only 21 now and still in school.  I've got my husband to pick up the slack, and my Sis who's been doing most of the day-to-day stuff keeping Mom in toothpaste, etc.  (Yeah - six grand a month and you have to bring your own toothpaste!)

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2010 - 4:06PM #6
Stardove

Nov 19, 2010 -- 1:04PM, LeahOne wrote:

Whooopeeeee!  Just got the call from Sis that the new contract is ready and Mom will be set.  She 'crashed and burned' just a week after finally moving in to the new place, has been in the nursing wing ever since.  We don't think she'll ever get to 'assisted living', although of course we'd like to see her recover to that point.

This has been going on for two years now, during which time I've had trouble maintaining myself and the household (has anyone seen my living room floor?).....

I can't imagine dumping this kind of thing on my son...he's only 21 now and still in school.  I've got my husband to pick up the slack, and my Sis who's been doing most of the day-to-day stuff keeping Mom in toothpaste, etc.  (Yeah - six grand a month and you have to bring your own toothpaste!)

LeahOne, very good news for the family that your mom is being taken care of.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook