5 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2010 - 2:40PM #1
Just.be.natural

I'm just curious in hearing peoples thoughts/opinions on tattoos. I have three and I love them, but my family hates them (they're Pentocostal and think its a sin.) Anyways I look forward to hearing from everyone.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2010 - 1:16PM #2
Bairre

I have several (over 20) and I believe that tattoos are an ancient form of expression, almost as old as cave paintings and carving curvy women.

My ancestors were called the Picts and like many other Celtic peoples used tattooing as a form of tribal affiliation as well as a means of displaying their live's events.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2010 - 12:03AM #3
The_lady_amalthea

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with tattoos.  I have two so far.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2010 - 12:50PM #4
Bezant

Just wandering through forums here, and found tattoos.

In and of itself I don't find anything wrong tattooing oneself. I'm an artist myself and when I'm bored now and then may use a pen/marker to draw on my hands or arms.

What I don't like is permanent tatooing. There's a religious backing behind it, that our bodies are to be kept clean and it is objectionable for one to deliberately scar oneself. But even if I weren't very religious I would still find it poor taste to permanently scar oneself, especially when there are temporary options (e.g., henna). In any case, nobody thinks untattooed skin is ugly, either. ;)

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2010 - 8:43PM #5
Leah

They Bible says not to mark your body. I think tattoos are one of those things that it is refering to. I am not Christian. I have a couple small ones. Though I like mine, I am not all for tattoos. I think there are a lot of young people that want to "up" their friends and make a huge mistake. There is also the chance of disease. Pamela Anderson got hep c from a tattoo. They aren't wholesome, and honestly can look trashy if they are not perfect. They are like fad that you cant take off. And though we shouldnt judge, and people change, that "skull" tattoo or whatever was a choice that "you" made to show the world so its hard not to.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2011 - 10:38PM #6
Fae

Hello, I'm sorry that you worry about having tattoos. Tattoos and piercings are just other body modifications such as painting your nails, trimming your hair, or whitening your teeth. Tattoos are more permanent, but removal does exhist. You will not be in this body forever. Who is to say how you decorate it? It's yours. It isn't mutilation it is expression. At least that's what I believe.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 18, 2012 - 4:10PM #7
Switch

I see both sides of the argument on this one. I myself have 1 tattoo and am planing at least 2 more, likely 3. I use my tattoos as a form of religious expression, but I also see how they can get outdated. I have a spider on my foot I got in first year university because I thought it would be a good idea. Now I'm thinking of getting a second one to point out how foolish the first one was! (the idea is a snake on my ankle, about to eat the spider, and "Everything Changes, but Nothing's Truly Lost" written in it).
While yes removal does exist, it's expensive and can leave scars. So it's there, but I think only in extreme circumstance. I think tattoos can be beautiful, but I've also seen a lot of trashy ones. And you do grow old! Those roses on your boobs might become hanging baskets by the time your 40 or 50!
I'm planing mine carefully and dating them throughout my life. My biggest is going to be when I'm at least 40. So no, I don't think they're a sin, but I do think you have to try and be responsible. A tattoo of hot pink brass knuckles on your shoulder isn't going to be as great down the road... hell, maybe even that cross will get outdated?
Piercing are another story. I like piercing because you can take them out, but beware of scaring!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 months ago  ::  Jun 12, 2014 - 9:55AM #8
Zanotk

Not tatooed myself, but I am pierced and I'm planning on getting some tattoos. My personal opinion is that there's nothing wrong with tatoos at all. For those bringing up the Bible's statement on not marking your body, it needs to be taken in context. So let's take a look, shall we?

"You are not to cut off the hair at the sides of your head or mar the edge of your beard. You are not to make gashes on your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves; I am Yahweh."

- Leviticus 19:27-28 from the Holman Christian Standard Bible (a personal favorite of mine).

Here the command to not mark yourself comes in the very same sentence as not making gashes on your body for the dead. Why is that? Well, probably because they were both practices associated at that time with polytheistic religions, and the Jews were to be different from them. This is also why they were commanded not to cut off the hair at the sides of their heads or mar the edges of their beard. So, should men today grow big, bushy beards? The commands are found in the same place, after all, and were both meant to seperate the Jews from other people's. So why are you choosing to accept one and not the other?

Let's look at some of the other commands in that chapter:
"When you reap the harvest of your land, you are not to reap to the very edge of your field or gather the gleanings of your harvest. You must not strip your vineyard bare or gather its fallen grapes. Leave them for the poor and the foreign resident; I am Yahweh your God." - Lev 19:9-10

Hey, this one sounds pretty great to me. Let's do it! From now on, all Christian and Jewish farmers should leave the corners of their field for the poor to gather and eat. And Christians that run vinyards should leave the extra grapes in their vinyard for the poor as well. Ah, but not just the poor! Foreign residents too! I really like this particular command, and I say we should all (not just the Christians) be following it. It's very compassionate.

"You must not harbor hatred against your brother. Rebuke your neighbor directly, and you will not incur guilt because of him. Do not take revenge or bear a grudge against members of your community, but love your neighbor as yourself; I am Yahweh." - Lev 19:17-18

I wonder how many people in the Christian church aren't doing this. It is a command, though, so they should be. It'd be a much better place if they did.

"You are to keep My statutes. You must not crossbreed two different kinds of your livestock, sow your fields with two kinds of seed, or put on a garment made of two kinds of material." - Lev 19:19

Hmm. Well, two out of these three shouldn't be too much of a problem for most. But not wearing a garment made of two kinds of material? No more blends. Check all your clothes. Are they 100% cotton or whatever the main material is? No? Well, you can't wear those anymore.

Here's one that America could do with:
"When a foreigner lives with you in your land, you must not oppress him. You must regard the foreigner who lives with you as the native-born among you. You are to love him as yourself, for you were foreigners in the land of Egypt; I am Yahweh your God." Lev 19:33-34

That's right. Regard the foreigner who lives with you as the native-born among you. And there's no exceptions allowed for HOW they got into this country. They're here now. Accept them. Love them as you love yourself.

The majority of these are actually pretty dang good laws, although, if you look at the whole chapter you will see that many of the other laws in there are not applicable to modern life. The point, however, is that these are all laws that are found in the very same chapter as the statement not to mark yourself with tatoos. Are you doing them all? No? Well then, stop telling people that the Bible says they're wrong for having tatoos. Because the Bible says YOU'RE wrong if you trim your beard, harvest your whole field/vinyard (if you own either of those), don't consider foreigners (no exceptions) as equal to native-born, or wear clothes made from more than one material.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook