Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

8 years ago  ::  Aug 14, 2009 - 8:24AM #1
Harmony2009

The kite, a Chinese invention, has been praised as the forerunner of the modern airplane. In the aircraft pavilion of the National Aeronautics and Space Museum, Washington D.C, a plaque says, "the earliest aircraft are the kites and missiles of china."

The earliest Chinese kites were made of wood and called muyuan(wooden kites); they date back as far as the Warring States Period at least two millennia ago. After the invention of paper, kites were made of the new material and called zhiyuan (paper kites)

Instead of being playthings, early kites were used for military purposes. Historical records say they were large in size; some were powerful enough to carry men up in the air to observe enemy movements, and others were used to scatter propaganda leaflets over hostile forces.

Kites are reasonably popular in the west and in typical western style they have been modernized with new materials and space-aged designs sending them soaring higher than ever before. Who would have thought that such a pastime could be taken so seriously? To read that kites once had a military application surprises me, I can' imagine being hoisted up into the sky to spy on the enemy, some flimsy wood and paper preventing my plummet back down to earth!

Once some people or stuff went into the western, it would be so signalized. Master Li shows his theory that can't be called pure Chinese tradition. Some people in the western consider it as good "qi" although Master Li tells a lie.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook