5 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2009 - 12:34PM #1
MsCGheartofohio

Hi All,

Happy 4th of July!

I am back online after having hard drive problems most of the year.  What's everyone up to?  I have a lot of catchup reading to do!  Seems like it's been a little quiet here lately - hope that's because everyone is enjoying the summer weather!

My Best of '09:

I transitioned to a new division at work in January.  We develop and distribute materials for individuals, organizations and other agencies around the state.  Mostly on voter education.  It's very rewarding work, the hours are much more normal, and I love the people I work with.  It's been a fantastic experience!

My knee has further degenerated and I now am preparing for replacement surgery in August.  I am very excited about having it done.  Dealing with the daily pain has been exhausting and depressing, and I can't wait to turn things around.  I am even looking forward to wearing heels again, and since I usually view shoe shopping as something akin to Chinese Water Torture, that's a real indicator of my condition!

I found out at the end of the year that my insurance WOULD pay for a new roof, because of the wind damage I sustained from Ike last fall.  Had that done in March - wahoo, no more drips in my bedroom window or into the living room!

Zeus the pug and Miss Kitty are happy and healthy, still chasing each other around the house.  I'm looking forward to being able to walk Zeus again.  I run him around the house and yard, but we both enjoyed our daily walks, and the knee just won't permit it right now.  He's a very social little being.

My father had to go on oxygen the first of the year - he has lung scarring, and was, I think, on the verge of needing nursing care, but the O2 and several home care visits have him considerably improved.  They gave him some physical therapy, and now he is exercising and walking just with a cane now.  Still not getting around like he used to, but has mobility back.  I have been trying to help them where I can.  About all they will let me do is cut the grass, so I can at least do that until my surgery.  Dad has a lawn tractor, so mowing there doesn't bother my knee at all - it's actually fun for me.

Whats new wit' you?

CG

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2009 - 3:43PM #2
IreneAdler

Very good to see you back!  And good to hear good things happening.  Always wonderful to see loved ones improving in health.  And sounds like work is a dream- yea!

These darn computers- blessing and a curse all rolled into one. Am breaking in a new one myself.  Lots of new things since my old one was built- nine years ago.

I'm trying to become more involved with my community: Am now on the HOA board for my little townhouse complex. It's been an education. Everyone wants stuff; no one willing to do anything to assist with projects. And all want to gripe. 

Had to interview & train a new tech for my little lab.  Got a very unexpected experience with one of the folks I interviewed.  We all know not to bring up ethnic issues when asking those interview questions- right? Well, imagine doing the interviewing and getting questioned as to where I'm from and am I aware that my last name is "Muslim" (spoken with disdain).  This was most upsetting.  I hadn't even asked any questions yet.  The guy came right out and started firing queries about my background-where was I from? Was this my married name or was I actually one of them? Found myself actually explaining that I was born in USA. Didn't know if I could end the interview without actually asking him questions.  Forty-five minutes later- and a diatribe on how he once got a job via the daughter of Dean Martin- I got rid of the guy. Wow. (no, he wasn't hired).

Managed to get a pretty good fellow for my new lab tech. Very personable and happy to learn stuff and get involved.  Yea!

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2009 - 10:01PM #3
MsCGheartofohio

Hi Irene, it's great to hear from you!

I'm glad your interview process turned out well, eventually.  What an experience!  I hope your inquisitive candidate didn't seriously think he would earn your admiration with his inappropriate barrage!  Or anyone's , for that matter.  Good grief!

I'm sure the HOA must be interesting.  Good for you for trying to get more involved!

My neighborhood started a civic association two years ago, and I feel much the same about participation in general.  People want to talk about city services and crime, which are valid, beautification and social events, fine, and then there are those who want a forum to gripe about people not wheeling their trash cans in from the curb immediately, or who don't cut their grass every 4 days.    

It is a nice opportunity to be in touch with neighbors in the area.  My immediate neighbors and I have nothing more in common than an occasional "how's it going" across the fence, so I have enjoyed the opportunity to at least meet some more folks around the block.  It is akin to running a business though, so I know there's a lot of paperwork and management involved.  Once thing that holds true, an association has more of a voice than an individual.  So if you are hoping to get something accomplished in the area, it's a great forum.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2009 - 3:58PM #4
appy20

"Well, imagine doing the interviewing and getting questioned as to where I'm from and am I aware that my last name is "Muslim" (spoken with disdain).  This was most upsetting.  I hadn't even asked any questions yet.  The guy came right out and started firing queries about my background-where was I from? Was this my married name or was I actually one of them? Found myself actually explaining that I was born in USA. Didn't know if I could end the interview without actually asking him questions.  Forty-five minutes later- and a diatribe on how he once got a job via the daughter of Dean Martin- I got rid of the guy. Wow. (no, he wasn't hired)."

Irene!  What an idiot! I am speechless.  LOL.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook