Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Single Seniors Club
6 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2008 - 2:15PM #1
Imyself
I created a thread under "SOCIALIZING" for single seniors but maybe I should have created it here?
The purpose of this thread is so single can chat with each other.  When I was married, I found that married peoples conversations were so different than divorced or widowed people's conversations. 
All though we have much in common our goals are different.  When  I was married, I didn't appreciate all the single friends my husband had. Maybe I was closed minded?  I thought our friends should be married couples. 
Now that I'm single, my best friend's boyfriend resents the time she spends with me.  I can understand that.  So I try to surround myself with friends in the same "boat." 
Some of my married friends still have kids at home and that hampers my style.  Not because I don't like kids but because I don't have any at home so no, I don't want to go to a high school football game, thank you.  But I understand how that can be fun for you.  But at this point in my life, been there, done that.  I'm at the age now where I want to do for me.
I'd rather go to Barnes & Nobles, get me a Starbucks next door, and sit down with an interesting book.  I meet alot of interesting people at Barnes & Nobles.
What do you like to do?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2008 - 2:35PM #2
Imyself
I created a thread under "SOCIALIZING" for single seniors but maybe I should have created it here?
The purpose of this thread is so single can chat with each other.  When I was married, I found that married peoples conversations were so different than divorced or widowed people's conversations. 
All though we have much in common our goals are different.  When  I was married, I didn't appreciate all the single friends my husband had. Maybe I was closed minded?  I thought our friends should be married couples. 
Now that I'm single, my best friend's boyfriend resents the time she spends with me.  I can understand that.  So I try to surround myself with friends in the same "boat." 
Some of my married friends still have kids at home and that hampers my style.  Not because I don't like kids but because I don't have any at home so no, I don't want to go to a high school football game, thank you.  But I understand how that can be fun for you.  But at this point in my life, been there, done that.  I'm at the age now where I want to do for me.
I'd rather go to Barnes & Nobles, get me a Starbucks next door, and sit down with an interesting book.  I meet alot of interesting people at Barnes & Nobles.
What do you like to do?[
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2008 - 1:12PM #3
Imyself
I love Barnes and Noble - I  go to their bookreadings once in awhile. 
I love Deepak Chopra.  He's one of my favorite authors.  My budget does not allow much travel.  That's why I love to go to B& N.  I can sit there for hours and go to so many wonderful places.   I was fortunate enough to go to Egypt with a friend.  IT WAS MYSTICAL.  Or at least, the Medeterrean Sea was.  I got to dip my feet in those waters! Awesome!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2008 - 11:03PM #4
Zingara
I am a widow of almost 2 years. No longer being able to drive at age 74 has limited my "just for fun" activites. Count mE in among all Barnes & Nobel fans! Not being alone when I  go there has it's restrictions of sorts. Just walking inside always lifts my spirits like a kid in a penny candy shop with a nickle in her pockrt!
   Although I must use a walker I  love the out of doors especially where there is water. We have an elder Oak, 100 years old, along our lakefront where I  find peace among her ancient branches covered in gray, low hanging mosses.
   Quietly listening to our Earth Mother just outside my door often feeds my spirit. Currently ,a Sweet Gum tree is sharing her autumn splendor of deep red leathery leaves to press among the pages of my many books. Possibly later a college of her gifts just might become a gift for a friend.
   "Just For Fun" applies to much more than most of us are aware of during a lifetime. Late summer brought my first train ride to visit Virginia. It was exciting eating and sleeping on a train for the first time. Much like traveling "back roads" America just as many of us did in the long ago instead of being in such a hurry on our fast paced inter-states in this day and age.
   I am among the blessed to have each day given for discoverying and expressing the many parts of mE I  am now free to find while sharing.......

Blessings
                                                                                                                                                              Zingara,mE
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2008 - 3:42PM #5
Imyself
Oh Zingara, I feel like I have just been introduced to a most beautiful tree!
I love trees, in fact I love Mother Nature.  I would love to see a picture of that tree. 
You know they say (we say?) everything is bigger in Texas.  Well, not the trees.  We have interesting trees but certainly nothing like the ones in your area, or the ones in California.  Our oak trees aren't as majestic.
I live in the city and miss being around trees.  Sometimes on Saturdays when I'm not at B&N, I go to downtown to  Lady Bird Lake and sit with a good book and keep company with the trees.  I feel so at home surrounded by trees. i
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2008 - 9:15AM #6
Imyself
Hi Littlebit,
I don't go to the drag - too crowded for me.  I go to the B&N in Westlake or at the Arboretum.  I love all the trees at the Arboretum.  But if you should happen to go to the drag, I would love to meet you there. 
Is your Mom sick?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2008 - 4:35AM #7
christobel
As I live in WA, in Australia, our landscape is quite different regarding trees, we don't have a lot of the trees that you have, mainly gum,palm, frangipani, & jacarandas.

The beautiful fragrance of the frangipani & the clouds of the purple flowers of the jacaranda down the streets , they're glorious.

Our weather is good most of the year , even in Winter, we have sunshine, & I love to go for stroll along the beach early in the morning, where I  do my  meditation & pilates. Another place I love to veg out is my own back yard, amongst my own bird attracting bushes & flowers, & just read.
My mind tells me all sorts of stories
but do I have to believe everyone of them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2008 - 11:55PM #8
whispering_elk
Hello all,
I am 52 or 53, would have to put pencil to paper on that one, Just isn't important anymore. I couldn't help but smile while reading your posts, there is so much grace and beauty out in this world. Somehow, while raising the kidos I had tunnel vision. Now that they are almost in homes of their own and darn nearly self supporting....I find myself teetering on the brink of my own identity. There is nothing better to me than to find a good rock to lean on and a noisy creek to watch, while my thoughts take on a life of their own. Hope in the very near future to get a tiny trailer for me and my very big dog and just go on the weekends where ever the road leads me. I would love to take pictures and then make a type of scrapbook/coffetable book for my kids and grandkids to read. Hopefully several issues.
NIce to meet you all!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 25, 2008 - 1:18PM #9
Imyself
Chris,
I heard the word 'jacaranda' in a Spanish song and thought it was a bird.  I didn't know there was such a tree.   But it sounds beautiful!

Hi Elk - ah, 52! When I was a kid, I didn't see the beauty in a tree or a rock.  I started appreciating Mother Nature in my 40s I believe.  And like you, my comfort, my relaxation, can be just sitting by a big rock, picking at it once in awhile, looking for fossils, or walking along a brook dipping my feet occasionally.
I don't have grandkids but all friends are younger, and they love some of the things I have collected so I pass them on to them or their kids.  Nice to meet you too.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2008 - 8:49AM #10
westlilies
Hope it's not too late to jump  into the Senior's Club. 
Seems you all have a great appreciation for Nature and books.  Now that I'm older and alone (widow) my love of nature has increased and Borders has just moved into my town!  I love trees so much that I've taken many of the little seedlings I've found in my yard and created a very small nursery to protect them and grow them up for others.  Zingra, "Just for Fun" has also become important to me..."too serious" is no longer necessary...actually it never was but I didn't know. The children are grown and although I'm "there" for them they seem to be doing just fine without much input from me.  Church is another source of comfort and friendships that may have never occured had I not made that commitment.   Imyself, thanks for the opportunity to connect.  Hello Wispering Elk, Christobel, and Littlebit.  I'll be here waiting to see if there might be a response.  :) 
Lily
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook