Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
6 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2008 - 8:26AM #11
appy20
All good choices. Anna Karenina is a bit dark.  Although, it is one of those books I want to read before I die. I am just finishing up The Geography of Bliss and that is one of the best books I have ever read. It is hysterically funny.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2008 - 6:16PM #12
milk_of_amnesia
Oh!  I’ll read Anna Karenina.  Other books from the “Read Before I Die” category:

The Aeneid
  Don Quixote
  The Brothers Karamozov
  Ulysses

From the “Mystery-ish” category:

My Name is Red - Orhan Pamuk
  The Plague of Doves - Louise Erdrich
  The Janisarry Tree - Jason Goodwin
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2008 - 7:54PM #13
appy20
Oh good grief, BNET ate my post. 

I will add The Geography of  Bliss

So thus far we have:
Odd Thomas
Anna Karenina
Geography of Bliss
The Aeneid (I have read this)
Don Quixote (I have read this)
The Brothers Karamozov
Ulysses (Lord, I don't think I could bear this, LOL)
om the “Mystery-ish” category:

My Name is Red - Orhan Pamuk
The Plague of Doves - Louise Erdrich
The Janisarry Tree - Jason Goodwin

Any more?
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2009 - 9:19AM #14
appy20
No, we kind of lost interest. Or did we ever decide on a book?  LOL
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 03, 2009 - 5:56PM #15
runegurl

how about just a thread of book recommendations?  i am always on the troll for good books to read, and from what i have seen so far, this group would make excellent suggestions.

appy: what is Geography of Bliss about?  why did you like it? 

that sort of thing.  i just can't do the russian lit thing again. did it in college, can't do it.  heh. 

but if we recommend good books, we might find more people who have read them, a discussion might result, and if it doesn't, it would stil be a great place to find things to read.

rune

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 11, 2009 - 10:18AM #16
appy20

Rune, the book is by a journalist who travelled to the happiest and least happy places in order to figure out what makes people happy and unhappy. He is very, very funny in places.  The humor is dry but hysterical.  However, the book is insightful and does give a balanced argument against the tyranny of positive thinking.  Yes, thinking positive is good but the fact is folks are born with a set point.  That is no longer disputed by rational folks and until there is greater neurological evidence, it won't be.  There are survival advantates to not being positive all of the time. Also, it talks about real cultural differences that influence happiness.  It does talk about real factors that do influence happiness but in a balanced way.

It is funny, well-written and insightful.  It is a serious and respectfully considered topic viewed through an ironic lens.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook