Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Been to any good funerals lately?
6 years ago  ::  May 23, 2008 - 2:50PM #1
Doohickie
Just wondering what people think about funerals in general... not the loss of a loved one, but what part the funeral plays in the process.  Strangely enough, I often find funerals to be uplifting, like the one I went to this week ([COLOR="Navy"]you can read about it in my blog[/COLOR]).
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 23, 2008 - 10:27PM #2
aws720k
What a nice tribute!

Personally, I don't like funerals and only attend those of very close family members. And yet I've never attended one that didn't make a difference in my views of life...and death. The last one I attended was for my older brother at which the eulogy, filled with wonderful stories and glowing accolades, was delivered by his only son. So very touching.

Those of us AGers from the South have joked about some of our funeral traditions which have been captured beautifully in the book Being Dead Is No Excuse. Click on the link to read the editorial reviews for an idea of what it's about. So funny....and so true.  :o

At a springtime funeral in the rural south, the death of a loved one is as much a cause for celebration as for grieving. People don't want the funeral to go too fast... they need to sing, to hear the preacher... and later, to eat together.

Listen to A Springtime Southern Funeral Here

With Blessings ~ Annie
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 23, 2008 - 10:55PM #3
Earlyspring
Oh Annie,

I have the book, "Being Dead is No Excuse" and I love the recipes, and the stories. Only in the South . .
Chapter 4   "I waa  So Embarrassed I Likets  died".

Also Southern women want to lok their best____ even if they happen to be dead.

This book is a great read.

Thanks for reminding  me.
Doohickie, many thanks for the topic.

Early
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 24, 2008 - 11:28PM #4
Doohickie
Until I met my current pastor, I would say that I pretty much despised and dreaded funerals.  Since then (the last eleven years), I've come to really see them as the euphemistic "celebration of life" as they are often referred to here in Fort Worth.

As I said in my post, you get to hear about a life well-lived, and it's hard not to compare to your own life.  I'm kind of a slug in many respects, so the comparison fall short.  But then again, as a Christian, I begin to realize that all this life is, is a preparation for what is to come.  Not that I want to hurry my time, but when I think of it that way, I almost look forward to it.

I think I posted back in February how I had an accident on my bicycle and might have died or been severely brain damaged if I hadn't been wearing a helmet.  Something else I don't think I've mentioned is that a guy from my office maybe 10 years older than me died recently when he was trimming a tree in his yard, fell and landed on his head.  So in a very personal sense I've been thinking of mortality.

On the other hand, I also dread reaching an age where there is nothing to live for.  My great aunt and godmother was 90 when she died after complications from a broken arm a year earlier.  But a year or two before she fell, she confided in me that she was tired of living.  I hope I never get to that point... not that I want to die earlier rather than later, but that I hope I still have something to contribute even when I'm 90 and beyond.

I realize, though, that old age is not for the squeamish and I admire all those who bear their physical burdens late in life with dignity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 26, 2008 - 5:43PM #5
elisa9511
We respect to you..there are some funerals that are not a celebration of life..some are very sad..very hard to get through..not all people celebrate at funerals..it is a passing of a loved one..some to soon..

I worked a funeral home for some years..and can tell you, I don't remember anyone celebrating that life..it was difficult for the family and friends..it is a last look at that person during the wake..and the final ride to the cemetary..if there is a cremation..then there is no funeral..just prayers and the end of the evening..

The journey is over for the deceased..and the beginning of a long journey for the family without their loved one..

There is a luncheon after the funeral..a very expensive one..some people go to the wake and funeral for the free meal..Honest !!!

Sorry to be so negative..but there is another side to Funerals

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 31, 2008 - 3:27PM #6
frocks
the day after tomorrow i will have the honor of assisting at the funeral of my dear friend of almost 50  years.  msgr tom guenther.  we became friends when he was a deacon and stayed friends through the years up till he was elevated to a monsignor.  less than 10 years after making monsignor he developed alzeimers and he passed into his reward this past  thurs morning.  just weds nite we prayed for him to pass quickly and peacefully and god listened and answered.

tom was a loyal friend who stuck with me through the thick and thin. i am blessed to have known him.  i am pleased that he only had 2 years of memory  loss before he died. the end was peaceful, no pain, no struggles with breathing, just a peaceful passing. i am thankful that i was able to return some of the loyalty of so many years by becoming his legal guardian for the last 5 years of his life.

i have already missed tom for the last few years while his faculties diminished, so his physical passing is actually a freeing experience and i feel relief. each week visiting him while he went farther and farther away was painful to see.  now he is at peace.  sleep on, sleep on, dear friend.  i will see you again when my time comes.

monsignor thomas a. guenther -  1938-1970
ordained a priest unto the order of melchizadek -  may 1964
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 31, 2008 - 3:39PM #7
Stardove
(((((Elisa))))) I understand.

Frocks, sorry for your loss of such a dear friend. Death can be the ultimate healing.

God speed monsignor thomas a. guenther.  I know the angels gathered around him.

Hope you will join us at the new Aging Gracefully group. I sent an invite to you.
Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2008 - 4:02AM #8
elisa9511
Frocks..I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved friend Rev. Msgr. Thomas A. Guenther

May you find comfort and peace knowing..his wonderful life and his dedication to the Church and it's people..will be rewarded
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2008 - 4:51PM #9
Doohickie
Yes, Elisa, I understand too.

I realize that my outlook on funerals is a little on the offbeat side, and I meant no disprespect to anyone who grieves for the loss of a loved one.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2008 - 10:13PM #10
NancyNic
your sense of humor!

especially your About Me ... It's not always about me!

Nancy

[QUOTE=Doohickie;519570]Just wondering what people think about funerals in general... not the loss of a loved one, but what part the funeral plays in the process.  Strangely enough, I often find funerals to be uplifting, like the one I went to this week ([COLOR="Navy"]you can read about it in my blog[/COLOR]).[/QUOTE]
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook