Page 1 of 19  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Wine Without Pretention
7 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2008 - 7:46PM #1
boodlebear
I wanted to start this thread because wine is a community drink, bringing family and friends together sharing laughter and warmth, fellowship and love. Sometimes wine can also be intimidating. And one might feel embarrassed to ask for help. Maybe with this thread some of the questions can be answered.
I am a new wine drinker. I've been tasting wine for the last three years at my local wine shop. I will forever be grateful to Josh for the world he had opened up for me. I enjoy discussing the merits of wine and when going into a run -of- the -mill restaurant I know if I'll like what's on the list. Wine is first and foremost all about what you like. Not some wine taster with the big name of the big name wine magazines. So what if Robert Parker gave this particular wine 95 pt. (duh, to me) if I don't like it that 95 points is going to be my 50 pts. See?  I had some 50-70 dollar wines last Friday and I thought they were really no better than the 15-20 dollar bottles I buy. Let your taste buds and your wallet be your guide. And if you do become a serious collector you will find ample places to learn.
So tell what you like.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2008 - 9:54PM #2
shellyruff66
Yay, Boodle!  you go girl!!!:cool:
I happen to like Manichewitz(sp?) Cream Peach. $15 a bottle.  Tastes like, uh, peaches.  As far as knowledge about wine?  I got none.  A friend gave me a taste of this, and I was hooked.  I hate to admit it, but I am more of a whiskey girl.  I like the burn.  But I only drink that about 2 or 3 times a year.  The wine I can do more often, but most give me heartburn.  Not the kinda burn I like.  Any suggestions?  I think I like 'em cheap and sweet.  Thanks.  (((hugs))):)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2008 - 11:04PM #3
MsCGheartofohio
I haven't had a lot of exposure to wines, either.  It's nice to hear that costlier doesn't always mean it's better - for the individual, anyway.

I normally go for a sweeter wine - something like a blush or white zinfandel.  Whites always seem too dry for me, and I have a hard time getting past the vinegar-y taste of a lot of reds.

The Titanic dinner I mentioned on the other thread was interesting, because each course included a different wine.  I have a copy of the menu with the names of the vintages, but every time I have bought one thinking it would be the same, I ended up disappointed.  I suppose the foods that the wine accompanied might have had something to do with it?

I remember really enjoying the nutty sherry.  And a very mellow, flavorful bordeaux.  And the sweet dessert wine that starts with a g - I'll have to look up the spelling!  The cheese course was really an eye opener too, it was traditional English cheeses - cheddars and stilton, and french brie, all delicious! 

I'm interested to hear about how you developed your favorites...
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2008 - 11:21PM #4
qtbabe
hello hello winos:)

I'm glad this Boodlebear vinyard is grand openning! Am I hired here???? just pouring the wine and not lecturing on the history of wine making here :)

Ms CG- I totally agree with you that foods accompanied the wines definitely! I love sweet wines too.  And I love spicy seafoods, and found that Riesling wines are best to go with spicy seafoods or Asian foods.  For desert wine, try Robert Mondavi Muscato!!! sweet wine drinkers, you will love IT!

Cheers!!!
QT:)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2008 - 6:50AM #5
boodlebear
Thank you for the responses. Gerwerztriminer may be the word you're looking for MsCG. It is sweet tasting without the sticky mouth-feel. As mentioned Reislings are also sweet tasting. Again, no sticky mouth-feel.
Reisling seems like a nice green apple taste.
Shelly you mentioned "burn" You could try a higher alcohol content, maybe 15%. The alcohol taste is right up front.
I prefer a lower content 13- 14%. To me the alcohol overwhelms the other aromas. And that's how wine is tasted, by the aroma. It isn't quite the same when one has a cold.
I had a Port made by Fricklin Wineries and this was like those wonderful little chocolate covered raisins. I fell in love.
Qtbabe, I've read your qualifications and I will hire you. I would like to make a minor correction, if you please. The correct spelling for wino is: Wineaux. A wino who uses a glass. I would like you to do the food and wine pairings. I've not had much exposure to that. Josh, my wine man, did conduct cooking classes and he did pairings, but it was out of my budget. Wine is a fun hobby and there is always something to learn. I look forward to others' input. And thanks again for helping get this off the ground. Boodlebear.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2008 - 1:18PM #6
boodlebear
Shelly, maybe a white or drink the reds while eating. That may help with the heartburn. Or maybe the alcohol is already too high and you need to drop the content or try sampling something other than Maneschewitz (sic).
It could be the tannins in the red wine. It could be you're just full of gas. ; )
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2008 - 3:26PM #7
shellyruff66

boodlebear wrote:

Shelly,
. It could be you're just full of gas. ; )

I'm sure that's the one!:eek::D

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2008 - 3:43PM #8
hortonthrockmorton
I have a shirt that reads, "Friends Don't Let Friends Drink Pink Wine"

No blushes.  No white zinfindels.  No wine mixed with fruit flavorings.  They are an abomination to all that is holy.

Despite that one area of snobbery, I don't buy into wine pretention.  I have found a lot of wines that are very good for under $12 a bottle, and many that are fine for private home enjoyment for under $7.

I can usually appreciate the difference between a $7 bottle of wine and a $12 bottle, and between a $12 and a $25 bottle of wine (talking retail store pricing, not restaurant pricing).  But anything more than that just strikes me as being about pretention more than taste.

One of the bad things about drinking more wine and becoming more educated, is that you notice the difference between what you pay in the store and what you pay in the restaurant.  Sometimes, they'll charge you 3X as much in the restaurant.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2008 - 7:53PM #9
boodlebear
I'd try the $175. Sure. Last Friday nite's wine tasting Josh had a Caymus. $155.00 worth of Caymus. I didn't get any to try. He quit using it for a taste because he wasn't getting any return. So, I have no idea how good a Caymus is supposed to be. Maybe never will. I don't remember the varietal it was. Maybe a Cabernet Sauvignon. Or Cab for short.
Who's cut their teeth on Boone's Farm wines? How 'bout Bartles and James alcoholic kool-aid? I did. Loads of times :D
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2008 - 9:09PM #10
MsCGheartofohio
Annie Green Springs?  ;)

I remember the summer after we graduated, a group of us got together for dinner and a few bottles of Blue Nun.  We thought we were the Stuff...

I was a big fan of Bartles & James for a few years - berry, please! 
Also Seeeeeeegrams Golden Wine Coolers (I really just liked Bruce Willis in his Bruno phase singing the commercials)
Wine coolers were great for me, because they were a decent substitute for beer, which is something else I have no palate for*.  On beer occasions, I could go for the coolers.

*but that's another thread :D
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 19  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook