Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
10 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2008 - 12:02PM #11
Gloriann
We are thinking about traveling to Connecticut and Rhode Island in a couple of weeks. I enjoy a website called Virtual Tourist where travelers,like myself, post things about their travels, even some pictures. Since this is not an advertisement of any kind, it tells it like it is. I enjoy looking at this website very much. I can "travel" all over the world this way (in my mind).
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2008 - 10:50PM #12
Karma_yeshe_dorje
I drove back north through southern New South Wales.

Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2008 - 10:22AM #13
Gloriann
So this must be a picture of something you saw on that trip?

I read on my home page this morning that you posted a comment on my picture, but I can't find the comment.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jul 28, 2008 - 1:10PM #14
Gloriann
Hello everyone!

We just returned home from being in the New England states for about a week. Let me tell you a little about the trip.

We drove from our home here in north Louisiana to Memphis, saw my doctor and spent the night with friends there, then traveled east on I-40 in Tn. The drive through the western part of Virginia on Interstate 81was beautiful! We traveled to Allentown, Pa and spent our second night on the road. I really enjoyed seeing the scenic town of Bethlehem, Pa the following morning.

FROCKS- I did get to New Jersey, but we did not drive on the turnpike. We took Interstate 78 to Interstate 287. I was surprized at the thick, green forests that surrounded us on most of this drive. It was pretty!

We stayed on I-287, all the way around Newark and New York City, coming into White Plains. From there we drove down to the coast and traveled along Highway 1 to Norwalk, Connecticut. I enjoyed the cities along the way. We stopped for lunch in a town called Darien and sat outside, enjoying the nice weather.

We had motel reservations in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts (just east of Worcester), so had to stop our coastal driving that day and head north, driving along a very scenic road, highway 7, in Connecticut. We stayed in Shrewsbury the whole time we were in New England so we would not have to keep changing motels every day and it was sort of centrally located, so we could make daytrips to any of the places we wanted to see. The motel was a Days Inn in Shrewsbury and was very nice. The room was large and there were good restaurants close by. We really enjoyed having breakfast at Friendly's every monring and eating for less than $10 (for 2 people-seniors).

On other days some of the sightseeing we did included going down into Connecticut again along a very scenic highway-169 as far as Norwich, where we made our way down into Groton and New London. We toured the submarine museum in Groton and just drove around New London for awhile. I had ancestors (Beebe, Holt and Sistare) who lived in New London, so I wanted to see the area. We stopped in Mystic and even ate at the famous Mystic Pizza place there, before traveling on into Rhode Island.

We came into Rhode Island at Westerly, then continued along highway 1 and up highway 4, then crossing 2 bridges before arriving in Newport. I have to say that I enjoyed every single minute of the driving all around Newport, Rhode Island. I loved the old downtown area and also the beautiful drive along the ocean, as well as seeing all those old mansions. I would have loved to have gone inside at least one of the mansions, like The Breakers, but we arrived there at the time they were closing the tours. Newport is definitely a place I would return to!

Now for our trip to Boston! We drove to where the USS Constitution (Old Ironsides) sits. I went through the nice museum while my husband toured the battleship. This took a lot longer than we realized, so by the time we really began to try and see the other historical sights there it was about 4pm. I wanted to see the North End of Boston anyway since I read that it is now called "Little Italy". I adore Italian food and have a lot of Italian ancestors, so I guess that explains it. We ate at a nice Italian restaurant in the North End called Lucias. Then we walked to the Old North Church, tried to find Paul Revere's house, but couldn't. We had a map of the downtown with us, but it was very hard for me to look at it and even figure out where I was, much less where I should be going. I became very disoriented, confused and irritated trying to read the map. The streets in Boston sometimes don't have any street sign on them and they also change names at times in the middle. They are also not lined up in straight lines. At the end of that day I felt like we had wasted a lot of time, plus our Garmen (navigator) could not help us find our way out of Boston that evening. We "accidentlayy" drove over that huge bridge and wound up in Cambridge (which is just across the river from Boston) but as we drove along the Charles River on Memorial Drive and saw the lights and skyline of the city of Boston with the reflection in the water, it was a very nice surprize! Somehow, we finally made it out of Boston that night and back to our motel in Shrewsbury (about 40 miles west).

I just had to get to Plimouth Plantation one day while we were there, so we drove down there and toured the recreated village. It was very hot that day, but we did enjoy seeing the place and talking to the characters who act as if they are living in the 17th century. The native people who work there are actually descendents of the tribes who lived there when the pilgrims came over. We also visited the Mayflower II, a recreated ship like the one that brought the pilgrims over. A young girl in costume there was interesting to listen to as she spoke about the voyage over.

From Plymouth we headed for Cape Cod, which is broken down (on maps) as 3 sections-lower, middle and upper Cape Cod. I enjoyed Middle Cape Cod the best and would gladly go back. The drive along highway 6 and 6A took us through some pretty scenery. We also had the best pizza I ever ate there in the town of  Yarmouth!

We made the mistake of trying to drive alohng the coast of Maine on a Saturday. I guess everyone was trying to get to the beaches? It was BUMPER TO BUMPER traffic from Kittery to Wells, especially at Ogunquit where we STOOD STILL in traffic for a long time and a thunderstorm also hit while we were just sitting there burning up all our gas. We finally made it as far as Kennebunkport and the rains stopped. We went inland from there to Rochester, Maine and drove through some nice towns in Maine and New Hampshire back to the motel. Maybe someday we can get back to Maine and try to see the coast on a weekday and maybe not during the summer months when it is so crowded.

When we left New England we traveled through Springfield , Massachusetts and were surprized at how rundown that large city is, plus the roads are all in need of repair. The drive along what was suppossed to be scenic roads (going east and west) in southern Massachusetts were disappointimg to me, but things improved when we got to highway 8 going north into the Bershire Hills.

We took a different route back to Louisiana, traveling through Albany, New York (loved seeing the old historic city of Troy), then on to Scranton, Pa. We stopped in the town of Hershey and toured the museum, enjoyed seeing Chocolate Avenue where the lights are shaped like candy kisses.

We have driven on roads going north and south in Maryland before (to get into Pa) but this time we drove from east to west on the Cumberland Road (in Cumberland) which was an unexpected treat! From there we drove through part of West Virginia and Kentucky, then made it to just west of Nashville for our last night on the road.

We drove off I-40 north to see Loretta Lynn's dude ranch and plantation home in Hurricane Mills, then drove on down highway 13 south, which proved to be very scenic, but had some winding roads in mountains with a few sharp curves. We came into Mississippi at Corinth, a place we had never seen before, but would like to return to because of all the history there.

Now we are back in Louisiana and it is over 100 degrees here! I MISS NEW ENGLAND!!!
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2008 - 11:07AM #15
Karma_yeshe_dorje
G'day Gloriann:
[QUOTE]something you saw on that trip[/QUOTE]Black-handed spider monkeys.

[QUOTE]you posted a comment on my picture, but I can't find the comment.[/QUOTE]Open the photo, then click "Tags :" below it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook