Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
6 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2008 - 10:30AM #1
Gloriann
I guess anytime is time for me to travel somewhere. I just love it!
A couple of weeks ago after I left church and was driving home, seeing all the sunshine, I just hated to come home and stay inside all day, so I went for a very long drive in my car. My husband loves taking off on his motor skooter on days like this and sometimes I ride along, but I still prefer to be in the car.
I had no idea where I wanted to go, but since I enjoy the drive north from my house on a two lane highway known around here as Arkansas Road, that is the direction I went. Yes, it does lead into the state of Arkansas. I drove to El Dorado, then went west all the way to a lovely town called Magnolia. Then I went south back into Louisiana, coming in around the town of Springhill. I traveled on scenic highway 2 as I made my way back home.
I enjoyed every minute of it! I love seeing the farmlands and rolling hills along the way.
I think this did me a lot of good. I use my driving time to reflect on life and to pray, sometimes I play a CD or the radio.
Last week my husband and I went to Mobile, Alabama for a few days and really enjoyed that very. I finally got to see Bellingrath Gardens and it is every bit as beautiful as I had imagined it to be.
Now, let me see-where should I go next? Any ideas?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2008 - 2:59PM #2
aws720k
Gloriann, I always enjoy your posts. You have such an adventurous soul! I'm not so-much-so these days, so I travel vicariously through your and others' stories. Love it! In fact, my oldest granddaughter just returned from her Spring Break trip through Spain. What an adventure that's been to follow through her/and her sponsor's emails along the way. The Internet is a wonderful source when it comes to checking out places they've visited.

For where to go next, check out Elisa's "Fried Dill Pickles." thread. You'll see more farmlands than you can imagine if you choose to travel that way. ;)

But wherever you go next, please come back to tell us all about it.

With Blessings ~ Annie
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2008 - 6:23PM #3
oceansdaughter
:)Hi Gloriann, I would suggest if you have any state parks in your traveling area, you might like to visit a few of them, maybe pack a picnic lunch and spend the day hiking the trails, wading through the creeks, and looking at the wild flowers, maybe even spot a chipmunk or a deer hiding in the trees, don't forget to take your camera along, so you can share some photos with us!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2008 - 1:58PM #4
VBallR
Come on up to St. Louis.  There is a lot to do here.  One of my favorites is the St. Louis zoo in Forest Park.  Admission is free.  There is also an Art Museum and a History Museum.  Then, across the highway is the St. Louis Science Center.  That is great too.  And, of course, you can go up into the Arch.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2008 - 7:43PM #5
Gloriann
Tracing my family tree, I have found more than one adventurer, so I guess traveling is in my blood!
I did read the Fried Dill Pickes Posts and am I ever hungry now!
The hike through a state park sounds great because I also enjoy walking. I will have to try and do that.
I have been to St Louis back in 1978 and went to the zoo, which I thought was one of the best I ever saw. We also visited the Arch, but I did not join those who went to the top. I stayed below in the museum and watched the movie that tells how it was made. Very interesting!
A place I visited a few years ago was Cape Girardeau in Missouri, after finding out about all the ancestors I had there, one of which was the founder of the city.
The picture I have by my name now was taken just last week at Bellingrath Gardens, close to Mobile.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2008 - 12:29PM #6
VBallR
A few years ago we went to Vicksberg, MS and that was a nice town.  We went to the Civil War Park -- not sure the exact name of it.  That was very interesting.  We also stopped in a museum and toured an old home.  We just stopped in the visitors center and did all of the touristy things.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2008 - 5:50PM #7
frocks
if you drive quickly you can make it to NJ in just a couple of days.  you may stop at any reststop on the turnpikes and sample fine cuisine, if you dare.  i would first drive to the foot of NJ, which would be coincidentally exit one on the turnpike, which is also at the foot of the Deleware Memorial Bridge.  i say foot because if the wind is blowing correctly coming from the DuPont plant, it smells like a foot.

then i think you have at least 16 exits to visit along the way to the top of NJ, where you will end up on the outskirts of NYC.  Up around exit 15 or so, right where you become scared to death of an airplane landing on your car due to the Newark airport being right next to the turnpike.  and also up there is the statue of liberty, which really belongs to NJ not NYC as most believe.

you can eat at most of the food stops along the way, but of course it is always at your own risk.  they say that the total lack of small wildlife around such place should be a caution to you, but if your hungry...?

the views from the highway can be enlightening, especially near the cities, where you can catch a glimpse of the gridlock on the highways leading in and out of such cities.

remember to wear your face mask, cotton or some other filtering material, since all the air you will breathe on you trip will be that what has traveled through all the industrial areas of the nation and finally passes over New Jersey on its way to the atlantic ocean.

sadly, the turnpike is routed nowhere near the ocean which would make it a very beautiful scenic road indeed.  that's a minor disappointment compared to the rest of the road.

come anyway and enjoy a turnpike hotdog, if that is what it really is.

as you can tell my current mood has colored this post.  so be it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2008 - 12:44AM #8
Karma_yeshe_dorje
In April this year I drove in beautiful autumnal weather around Tasmania. In Launceston I stayed at a relocated historic watermill.

I rode the chair-lift across First Basin in the Cataract Gorge Reserve.

On the way to Devonport, I stopped by the Tamar River.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2008 - 11:08PM #9
Gloriann
I am sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this. I have been talking to doctors for awhile about a recurrent acoustic neuroma that I have (benign brain tumor).
I love those pictures of Tamar Valley. Thank you so much for sharing this very interesting trip with us.
Thanks to all of you who have responded to my posts!
Frocks, I had forgotten that you are in New Jersey. I lived in Long Branch for nearly a year back in 1967. I just adored the walks by the ocean! I enjoyed Asbury Park too. My husband was stationed at Ft Monmouth. I have fond memories of N. J.
We made a trip back to New Jersey in 1993 and I could not get over how much things had changed!
I guess I'll be traveling to Tennessee soon to see my doctor again (Memphis). I think we will try to do some traveling up that way after we leave his office.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2008 - 12:02PM #10
Gloriann
We are thinking about traveling to Connecticut and Rhode Island in a couple of weeks. I enjoy a website called Virtual Tourist where travelers,like myself, post things about their travels, even some pictures. Since this is not an advertisement of any kind, it tells it like it is. I enjoy looking at this website very much. I can "travel" all over the world this way (in my mind).
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook