Page 4 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
6 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2008 - 5:25PM #31
Kapua

arctic.she.wolf wrote:

Alittlebit, thank you for your acknowledgement. Do not take it all on yourself though. There were three others who made judgements about my communications skills to. I'm teribly sorry that not everyone here is an english major or a communications major.

Aws720K, if I expected hostility like last time i would not have tried to come back. I was truely hopeing for a much less hostile place than i encountered before. I will take my leave.

In spite of the unwelcome enviroment, I pray you all have a good lent and a good easter, and that your lives are filled with grace and mercy more than you show it.

Hello, artic.she.wolf.....
I'm very sorry that you feel the way you do! IMHO, this group is a treasure trove to me! When I first came here, I was like a duck out of water. I was soooo computer illiterate, lacked the sophistication that many here have, yet, they were kind enough to help me when I ran into a roadblock!
No one judges me for my mispelled words, or my greatest FLAW, which is PUNCTUATIONS!:eek:
Perhaps they felt sorry for me?! LOL.....What I found is that WORDS and the way it is expressed, can sometimes offend others, whether or not that was our intention.:(
Most of us here have had disagreements with certain topics at one time or another, the bottom line is we all agree to disagree and that's what makes the world go round. Being one of the babies (younger) one here, I feel humbled with the wealth of information I have gained and the knowledge that everyone here is willing to share. Again, words are POWERFUL tools used in communication...it can work for you or against you:( Maybe you can tread lightly in troubled waters and see what response you get! We are all fallible...and in the hour of our greatest needs, there is no other group like the AGERS!:) We are not getting OLDER, we're just getting STARTED!!!?

Thank You for letting me throw in my 2 cents.....Have a Blessed Easter ....

Aloha Ke Akua,
~Kapua~

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2008 - 7:26PM #32
k-bearsmom
KAPUA ! ! ! ! !
Who is that ADORABLE baby?

On my very best day I can only strive to be as gracious as y'all....on my worst I want to sqeeeze little cheeks and say..."Get over yourself"....to "hurt feelings ".

YEARS ago when I first joined this wonderful group, I made a statement ...(I think on something political)...and one of our dearest members responded with "That's the most ignorant thing I've ever heard!".

LOL ! ! ! !....I KNEW then that this was MY place!
As kind and sensitive and INTELLIGENT and gracious the inhabitants of AG are....we are NOT a bunch of wimpy-grey- haired-biddies!....(well, underneath MY Clairol...I am fairly grey:rolleyes:)

I will say this ONE thing SheWolf....instead of becoming so very defensive and accusatory...it might have behooved you to offer an apology for asking your question in a "tone" which led to misinterpretation.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2008 - 9:11PM #33
Softsilk

stardove wrote:

Maggie,

As of last night there was nothing at the profile to know what belief system ASW has. All we have here is the statement that she is a Christian. My point was Lent was a non event in my early Christian experience, so I could speak from that.

OT: A number of years back I attended two funerals in one day. One was for a Baptist and the other for a Catholic. The Baptist service was full of hell, fire and brimstone. The Catholic service was about love and loss of a father, husband and friend. It made me wish I had been raised up a Catholic. Even got to take communion at the Catholic funeral, as the priest invited all who wanted to take communion to do so. I had my rosary on, but felt so much better with the way the invitation was given. At the next Catholic funeral service I attended the priest invited Catholics to take communion, so I didn't go down. :o

thank you for that clarification Stardove. and I was so glad to read that the first priest invited everyone interested to receive communion. I am a faith-filled catholic and love my tradition greatly in addition to be grateful that that is the way I was raised. it has meant the difference between life and death for me (seriously). but I am also of the liberal end of the spectrum. my faith rests totally on Jesus and anything and everything the church itself adds to my understanding of him and his mission (which is A LOT!) I am very grateful for. but they are a bit too tightly focused currently with the pickiness of whether visitors can receive communion. the way I understand it is if someone who is not a catholic but who (for whatever reason) attends one of our services and is moved to receive communion...then they should be welcomed to do so. that's how I see Jesus doing it: sitting down to table fellowship with anyone who wants to sit down with him. amen.

Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. --  Albert Einstein
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2008 - 9:19PM #34
Softsilk

llittlebit wrote:

Maggie,
I know you to be astute and compassionate and  I also know to be very intuitive so you may very well be right.
My reaction was that Artic really did not  have much info about the concept of Lent and, perhaps, needed to hone her communications skills.

quite possible that it was just a rough communication style, llittlebit. and thank you for your comments about me. I don't jump on someone "just because". my problem (and I classify it as a problem) is when I suspect someone lacks respect for another person's tradition...anybody's tradition. I want to give respect; I want to see it given to others; but I also expect to receive it. diversity is a blessing in my understanding of life. which, to me, means the TWO MOST IMPORTANT THINGS we can ALL give to EACH OTHER is a respect and a listening ear.

information itself is a pleasure to give; and I am always ready to share details...as long as I think the questions are sincere and not disguised stomping. so "why" questions in and of themselves do not make me defensive. only the (suspected) attitude of a poster brings out the Jeanne D'Arc in me.

Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. --  Albert Einstein
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2008 - 10:03PM #35
Softsilk
Kbear and Early thank you for adding that each of you also had read the tone of Arctic She Wolf's post as a bit antagonistic. I am glad to know that I haven't gone off the deep end seeing things that no one else saw.

having said that, let me post the following to Arctic She Wolf:

if you were sincere in your questions and your writing style didn't work for some of us, not all is lost. we can assume now that we've gotten the irritations out of the way and can earnestly address your questions some of which I hope have already been answered.

let me add that this series of posts has been a learning experience for me; I have always been vaguely aware that some christian groups don't know what others take for granted; I see that it might be more prevalent than I suspected and would happily answer any and all questions anyone ever has about the vast amount of info that the RCC works under. happily.

in general, traditional lenten practices are of three kinds: prayer, sacrifice, and almsgiving...EACH of these areas UNPACKS to include A LOT of details. so the first thing to do is NOT assume you know which each category is really about. sincerely.

we've thus far (in the earlier posts) covered the time period and whether or not the early christians observed lent. if any of that info was not clear enough, please let us know and we will go at it again.

the purpose of individual lenten practices is to clear away "underbrush" that might be hindering our growth in love of Jesus. but no one does that without serious assistance from the holiest of spirits. it's a process that we give ourselves over to NOT a process that we direct (another fully-loaded idea that would need to be unpacked for clarity)

also I would say again that life is change. God is constant. but our life on earth is about change. God is okay with us growing in our awareness and changing habits even updating some practices so long as our goal remains union with Jesus. God sends angels to cheer us on in our growth processes.

no one panic. union with Jesus can mean something very specific but Jesus is more than we know so union with Jesus, for me, translates into "gotta good heart? than you're on the right track" I always agree with the statement "salvation comes only through Jesus" yes. I do. I cannot do otherwise. I am a full-fledged devout christian. my entire faith turns on Jesus. BUT I always add: however we do NOT KNOW HOW salvation comes through Jesus. only God knows the how of it. that's why I tell non-christians do NOT panic. it is NOT an exclusive club. where your treasure is is where your heart is and if you treasure compassion and love, you're on the right track. follow your conscience honestly. all assistance that you will need will be provided for you. God can not help himself: he loves us. period. we are, in fact, his beloved...down to a one of us.

now. doesn't that make you wanna smile :-)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2008 - 12:10AM #36
Softsilk
oh. duh. I just remembered: the Israelites wandered in the desert for 40 years. so it's

40 years in the desert (for the Israelites)
40 days in the desert (for Jesus)
40 hours in the tomb

the desert is not a place to stay, not our end-point. it's part of the pilgrimage that we make during our (life-long) faith journeys to expand our hearts and prepare to receive God

that's sort of the model, if you will, for the purpose of lent, if that model-idea makes sense.

I hope others feel free to expand on this explanation

M.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2008 - 11:58AM #37
Stardove

softsilk wrote:

oh. duh. I just remembered: the Israelites wandered in the desert for 40 years. so it's

40 years in the desert (for the Israelites)
40 days in the desert (for Jesus)
40 hours in the tomb

the desert is not a place to stay, not our end-point. it's part of the pilgrimage that we make during our (life-long) faith journeys to expand our hearts and prepare to receive God

that's sort of the model, if you will, for the purpose of lent, if that model-idea makes sense.

I hope others feel free to expand on this explanation

M.

Good Morning Maggie, See all those 40's in the Bible. I don't take them as literal days, years, hours, but as the time it takes to complete the action. I believe that when we see the number 40 in the Bible is is about completions. Seven is another number which mean completion in the Bible. I have a book Numerology and the Bible around here somewhere.

Carry on. :)

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

Anger cannot occur unless you believe that you have been attacked, that your attack is justified in return, and that you are in no way responsible for it. ACIM

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2008 - 1:36PM #38
Softsilk

stardove wrote:

Good Morning Maggie, See all those 40's in the Bible. I don't take them as literal days, years, hours, but as the time it takes to complete the action. I believe that when we see the number 40 in the Bible is is about completions. Seven is another number which mean completion in the Bible. I have a book Numerology and the Bible around here somewhere.

Carry on. :)

thanks for that info Stardove. that's what I was hoping for: someone knowledgeable in numerology would tell us what we need to understand about the number 40. earlier you had a post on the number 40 but I was too absorbed with the rest of the conversation for it to sink in. so thanks for adding it today. and I agree. literal interpretation is a sticky-wicket in the bible; best not do that type of interpretation, imo.

but I'm okay with the number 40 for the days of lent...it takes about 6 weeks for any habit to stand a chance of changing for the better. at least that's been my experience in life.

well. that is 6 weeks repeated yearly until I finally "get it" lol. hard-heads run in my family.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2008 - 10:11AM #39
joyinhim
Hi all,  This is a quote from our Ash Wednesday Service at our Church. 
Today we begin a spiritual journey that will span 40 days, from Ash Wednesday until Holy Saturday before Resurrection Sunday.

In the early days of the Church, the season of Lent was a time of preparation for new converts as they readied their hearts to enter into Christian Baptism on Easter Sunday.  Since these new members were to be received into a living community of Faith, the entire community was called to preparation.  Also, this was the time when those who had been separated from the Church because of explicit sin would prepare to rejoin the community of Faith.

The season of Lent is a time of prayer, fasting, self-examination, and penitence for all Christians as we prepare to celebrate Easter.  Through this 40 day journey, we are reminded that we are totally unworthy before God, that we have nothing with which we can obtain salvation, and that our best efforts at being righteous fall far short.  This season reminds us how much we need grace in our lives in order to live a transformed life that reflects God's love.  We are called to renew our commitments and our faith as we continually acknowledge our need of God's transforming presence with us.

You are invited to the observance of a holy Lent, by self-examination and repentance; by prayer, fasting, and self-denial; and by reading and meditating on God's holy Word.
Reflect in silence on the gospel message and make your confession and your vows of repentance and new life before the Lord. 

Receive God's forgiveness and blessing and go in peace, remembering that you are but dust and ashes and unworthy of being called the people of God.  But also remember that you who were no people God, by His love and grace, has made a people, children of His own household.

Let us go forth in humility to be Christ to the world... shining His light, through the Holy Spirit, on a world that desperately needs Light!
AMEN.

I thought that this was a beautiful ceremony.  We received our ashes, but also a lot to think about when we left the Church.  Lent is not a one day thing.  It is 40 days.  Time to reflect, fast, and ask God to point out to us what He wants for our lives.  Living your faith out loud, so that others will wonder what it is in your life that makes you so peaceufl and loving... and wanting it in theirs.

God bless, Gail
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2008 - 10:41AM #40
alquest
Receive God's forgiveness and blessing and go in peace, remembering that you are but dust and ashes and unworthy of being called the people of God.

The God of the Bible isn't exactly worthy either!:mad:
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook